All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Peder Jensen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  18:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to find out where Peder Jensen Berget (Gedberget) settled in America.

Peder Jensen’s birth/baptismal record.
#79 on the left
Source information: Oppland county, Gausdal, Parish register (official) nr. 8 (1850-1861), Birth and baptism records 1857, page 125.
Permanent pagelink: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=8940&idx_id=8940&uid=ny&idx_side=-128
Permanent imagelink: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20070201610569.jpg

Here is Peder Jensen with his parents and family in the 1865 Norway Census.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=49&filnamn=f60522&gardpostnr=105&personpostnr=604&merk=604#ovre

I have lots of info on his family in Gausdal, Norway, but need to find him in the U.S.
My great grandfather, Johannes Jensen, was his older brother and he immigrated in 1874 and settled in Portage County, WI and took the name Johannes J. Berge. Their uncle, Ole Nilsen, settled in that same area and took the name, Ole N. Berge. There are two Peder Berge’s who lived in that area at the same time and neither are the Peder that I’m looking for. One was an older minister and the other, was the son of Ole N. Berge. Ole N. Berge and his family immigrated in 1869, on the Ruben from Oslo to Quebec.. I found him on the Rudshagen farm in Gausdal in the 1865 Census.

Did Peder use the name Jensen, Jenson, Lie, Berg, Berge, Berget? I’m not sure. The farm that they are from in Østre Gausdal is called either Gjedberget under Lie, Gedberget under Lie or Berget under Lie. The name changes in different censuses.

Peder Jensen Lie, leaving Gausdal parish. #46 on the right hand page. Traveling with him are friends, I believe. #45 and #47. Same age.

Source information: Oppland county, Østre Gausdal, Parish register (official) nr. 1 (1874-1886), Emigration records 1880, page 482.
Permanent pagelink: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=6097&idx_id=6097&uid=ny&idx_side=-296
Permanent imagelink: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20070116630395.jpg

Emigrantor record.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=45&filnamn=EMIOSLO&gardpostnr=50885&merk=50885#ovre

Leaving on the Hero from Oslo. #50885. His friends are also on this feeder ship.
#50875 – Simen Johansen. Going to Orford, WI. Possible towns, Orfordville, in Dodge County, WI, which had a large Norwegian population. Or, Oxford, WI. Not sure.
#50898 – Ole Simensen. Going to Menominee, WI. This is in western WI, not too far from MN.

On Ancestry, the closest I’ve come to finding him on the Immigration records, is a Peder Jansen, from Norway, who sailed on the Republic and arrived in America on 8 Aug 1879.
This matches with them leaving Gausdal 19 Juli 1879 and leaving on the Hero on 25 Juli 1879. I haven’t found his friends on this ship.

From there, I can’t find him.
I appreciate any help and guidance you can give. This has baffled me for awhile. Thanks in advance!

Lislcat

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  23:26:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1880 US census shows a Peter Jenson (23 yrs old) in Clay Co. WI.

Try narrowing your search by the variations on given name, born Norway and the years to make him ABOUT 23 in the 1880 census.
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  23:50:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Hopkins!
Was it Clay County or Clark County, because I've tried to find out where the Peder Jenson that was listed in the 1880 US Census for Clark County, was in 1900, but no success. He worked for the RR, so he could of moved anywhere. I've tried every variation of his name. Usually searching Pe?er Jens?n, Pe?er L?e, Pe?er Berg?, etc...

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  02:28:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right, that was Clark Co. (See, I told you I needed that nap.)

He could have gone anywhere in the world, but I'd first suspect on the North American continent.
He could have returned to Norway, many did.
Then again he might not even be living in 1900.

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9228 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  02:33:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure how much help it will be you to know about his friends but here goes. Here is likely Ole Simensen in 1880 in Dunn County, Wisconsin. From Ancestry.com. None of the other boarders in this reference seemed to me to be of help.

Name: Ole Simondson
Home in 1880: Menomonie, Dunn, Wisconsin
Estimated birth year: abt 1858
Birthplace: Nor
Father's birthplace: Nor
Mother's birthplace: Nor
Neighbors: View others on page
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  02:40:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks!
I just started looking for his friends and there are a few different Ole Simonsen's in Dunn County. I will follow up on this one! Thanks again!
My hope was that maybe they didn't all split up, when they reached WI.

Does anyone know if their are RR records from the 1880's? I've seen some RR pension records, but am wondering if there are any other records?

Hopkins, I haven't seen him in any Norwegian records, so I'm assuming he stayed in the U.S.

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9228 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  02:41:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And a look at probably him in 1900 where he is married. I see that he lists his immigration year as 1881. Which if true means he cannot be the same person as the one from 1880 US Census?

Name: Ole Simonson
[Ola Simonson]
Home in 1900: Lucas, Dunn, Wisconsin
Birth Date: Jun 1859
Birthplace: Norway
Immigration Year: 1881
Relationship to Head of House: Head
Father's Birthplace: Norway
Mother's Birthplace: Norway
Spouse's name: Christina Simonson
Marriage Year: 1889
Marital Status: Married
Years Married: 11

Edited by - AntonH on 10/09/2010 04:29:14
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9228 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  03:42:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps a long shot. From the Wisconsin State Census on Ancestry.com. I could not find a match in the 1900 US Census. His occupation is listed as painter.

Name: Peter H Jensen
Census Date: 1 Jun 1905
Residence County: La Crosse
Residence State: Wisconsin
Locality: Holland
Birth Location: Norway
Relation: Head
Line: 9
Roll: CSUSAWI1905_15
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9228 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  03:55:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not found in 1900, but in 1910 US Census there is this person, whose occupation is listed as House Painter Could Jenson have become Johnson for this census.

Name: Peter Johnson
Age in 1910: 52
Birthplace: Norway
Relation to Head of House: Boarder
Father's Birth Place: Norway
Mother's Birth Place: Norway
Home in 1910: Holland, La Crosse, Wisconsin
Year of Immigration: 1881
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  06:50:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who knows for sure, but my gr grandfather was listed as John Johnson on his marriage license. He went by John in the U.S., so John Jenson, with a Norwegian accent, could have sounded like John Johnson. This is the problem I've been having. I've been searching for 2 years and each possible Peder Jenson never pans out. I will follow through on all of your suggestions. Thanks!

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article