All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Gjertrud Olsdtr - to Minnesota in 1887 ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RF

Norway
47 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  21:58:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In 1887 Lars Anderson Farstad b.1821 left Trondheim, Norway.
He was travelling together with Marit Olsdatter, and two children ; Olise and Inga.

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=9&filnamn=EMITROND&gardpostnr=46327&merk=46327#ovre

The childrens mother were Gjertrud Olsdatter, born in Neegaard, Surnadal 13 December 1854. Gjertrud was Marits sister.

I canīt find Gjertrud among the emmigrants. Lars was a widower when he left, but he came back in 1889 and died later that year. When he came back he was married to Gjertrud and they had a child, Lydia, born in Minnesota 10 July 1887.

http://da.digitalarkivet.no/ft/person/pf01036827004189/

Is there anyone who can find Gjertrud in the passenger lists ?

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  11:53:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
In 1887 Lars Anderson Farstad b.1821 left Trondheim, Norway
from the link you gave I read that widower Lars Fredriksen (not Anderson), 60 years old, left March 19 1887 Hustad i Nordmøre to go to US.
Lars Fredriksen, Farstad was born Sept 10 1821, see #5.

quote:
The childrens mother were Gjertrud Olsdatter, born in Neegaard, Surnadal 13 December 1854
- according to the 1910 census she was born Dec 13 1855, see also #6.

The bapt record for Gjertrud (b Dec 13 1854) is #5 and the one for her sister Mareth is #58.

I take it that Gjertrud was a widow in 1887. Where was her children born?

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 08/12/2010 22:09:52
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  15:41:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gjertrud and Marits mother was a widow in 1878 when she moved to Bod Prestegjeld with her three children, see #1 - 4.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

RF

Norway
47 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  20:27:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gjertrud was not married before 1887. The father of the two children was Anders Larson Vestad from Bud/Hustad. He later wrote a letter saying that he couldnīt be the father of one of the children, Olise

Lars Fredrikson was a widower when he left in march 1887. 4 months later he got a daughter, Lydia, in Minnesota. I havenīt found that they were married in Norway after returning, so I guess they were married in Minnesota (if Gjertrud ever left Norway...)

Is it possible to find the birth record of Lydia Ingenie in Minnesota 10 july 1887 ?
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2010 :  02:15:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

There are some early birth records in some counties in Minnesota. Their destination is Canby, Minnesota which is in Yellow Medicine County. Its possible that four months later when Lydia was born they might still have been in that area but who knows? Baptismal records exist for some Norwegian Lutheran churches in America and those which existed in the 1970s were microfilmed and are kept by the ELCA archivist. You can rent the microfilm or hire ELCA archives staff to search those records. www.elca.org

Sometimes pastors will record someone's baptismal place in their confirmation records. What does Lydia's say?

Hilsen,
Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

RF

Norway
47 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2010 :  08:24:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lydia was confirmed in Rindal in 1902. The records shows she was born in Swede county, Minnesota.
The date of baptism only says 1887.

I canīt see that there is a county called that, so I guess it could be Swede Prairie township. Thatīs in Yellow Medicine county.

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  02:33:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Another possibility is Swift County, Minnesota not bordering Yellow Medicine but near it.

By the by, there is a database of the county level Yellow Medicine county births 1879-1897 at www.usgenweb.com but records do not, apparently include Lydia. This doesn't necessarily mean she was not born there but just that there is no civil record of her birth in that index of Yellow Medicine county birth records. She could still be listed in a church's baptismal records or in some other county.

Hilsen,
Jackie M.

Edited by - jkmarler on 10/12/2010 22:54:04
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article