All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Lovise Olsdatter - ship to America
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dusty Nelms
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  01:11:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lovise Olsdatter, dau. of Ole Nilsen and Maren Skjollersdr., born 26 April, 1863 in Rostad, Skeberg, Norway, was granted permission Sept. 30, 1881 to leave her parish for American.
Can someone tell me what port she may have left from and what ship she traveled on and possible what port she would have arrived at. She ended up in Crookston, Polk Co., MN.
Thank you, Dusty

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  02:36:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Skjeberg is in Østfold county, South of Oslo. This could be her leaving Oslo 25 Nov. 1881.
#58798.
Her residence is given as Eidsberg, which is North of Skjeberg.

Her destination was Brandon. Is that a significant name? There is a Brandon, MN.

Les
Go to Top of Page

Dusty Nelms
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  02:48:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The age and timing are right for it to be her. However, it appears she may be traveling with Ole Johanssen as he appears to be from the same place and headed for the same place as her. "My" Louise was living in Crookston and married Edward Nilsen in 1885. I will try to find on a map where Brandon is located in relation to Crookston. Thank you for this information! :) -Dusty

Dusty Nelms
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  08:31:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bapt record for Lovise is #61, parents Ole Nilsen and Maren Johanne Skjøllersdatter, Røstad nordre.

Ole Johannesen moved out from Eidsberg, see #64.
No record for Lovise in Eidsberg, the emigration record is most likely wrong.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 05/02/2011 08:50:09
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  18:59:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1865 census of Lovise and her family may provide some additional info.
1865 Census

Les
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  21:30:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe you already know, but Lovises parents were married in Tune Jan 25 1856, the record is #11.

Lovises mother was actually baptized Karen Johanne, see #104. Parents Skjøllert Larsen, Gjelsnæs and Kari Jensdatter.
Schiølert Larsen, Ødegaarden 20 years old and Kari Jensdatter, Belsbye 21 years old were married Dec 26 1817, see #1.

Schiølert Larsen was baptized July 1 1798, see 3rd record in 3rd column. His parents were Lars Schiølertsen and Birthe Mathisdatter, Ødegaarden.
The family in 1801.

Kari Jensdatter was baptized Oct 16 1796, see next to the last record in far right column. Her parents were Jens Thuesen and Pernille Arnesdatter, Belsbye.
The mother was married 2nd time in 1801.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 06/02/2011 09:15:52
Go to Top of Page

Dusty Nelms
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  14:48:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for this information. I searched and searched for Maren's birth record and in looking at her age at death and at census records, Karen's birth record is the only one that seemed to fit for her. This confirms what I thought. Your information has been very helpful to me! I appreciate it alot!

Dusty Nelms
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  17:12:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dusty, it seems you have census information for Edward and Louise living in Polk County.
All I have been able to locate is a death record for an Edward Nelson who died 23 Sep 1926, and a Louise E. Nelson who died 20 Apr 1925, both in Polk County.
Are they your relatives?

Les
Go to Top of Page

Dusty Nelms
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  19:36:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lester Hanson

Dusty, it seems you have census information for Edward and Louise living in Polk County.
All I have been able to locate is a death record for an Edward Nelson who died 23 Sep 1926, and a Louise E. Nelson who died 20 Apr 1925, both in Polk County.
Are they your relatives?

Les

Hi Les, I do have info. on Edward and Louise once they came to Polk Co. and remained there. Actually, he was having such a problem with his mail, for example, once he came to Polk Co. (due to Nelson being such a common last name), he changed his name to Edward N. Knoll and remained with that name. So, they died as Edward and Louise Knoll and I do have a copy of their death certificates. Thank you again for your great help! -Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  18:55:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Skjeberg is in Østfold county, South of Oslo. This could be her leaving Oslo 25 Nov. 1881.
#58798.
Her residence is given as Eidsberg, which is North of Skjeberg.

Les

Even though this may be the wrong Lovise, I found her in Ancestry.com, on the Britannic, which sailed from Liverpool and arrived NY on 12 Dec. 1881. She is passenger #170, listed as Lovisa Olsen, Age 18, male. Right above her is Ole Johannesen, age 19.
I would call her a POI,(Person Of Interest).
Les
Go to Top of Page

Dusty Nelms
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  00:07:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Les, thank you for looking into that. I will certainly keep a record of what you have found as a very good possibility of her being "my" Louise. Generally, in your experience, if she received permission from her parish to leave Sept. 30, do you think a person would not leave for another two or so months? Also, thank you again for giving me that website info. as I'm finally figuring out how to enter names and search better on it. I found some other relations that I was wondering about on it today. I appreciate your help! -Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Lester Hanson
Advanced member

USA
567 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  01:36:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can only guess why a person would take several weeks to travel to Oslo. She was only 18, traveling alone or with a relative or a boyfriend. She probably had relation all ready living in Minnesota.

If you are using the Oslo emigration record, here is the full list of ports available from Digitalarkivet.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebMeta.exe?slag=vismeny&fylkenr=&knr=&katnr=5&aar=&dagens=&emnenr=0&alle=true

Suggest you add this to your Favorites or as a Shortcut, as it is a little tricky to find.
Les
Go to Top of Page

Dusty Nelms
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  01:53:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can only guess why a person would take several weeks to travel to Oslo. She was only 18, traveling alone or with a relative or a boyfriend. She probably had relation all ready living in Minnesota.

If you are using the Oslo emigration record, here is the full list of ports available from Digitalarkivet.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebMeta.exe?slag=vismeny&fylkenr=&knr=&katnr=5&aar=&dagens=&emnenr=0&alle=true

Suggest you add this to your Favorites or as a Shortcut, as it is a little tricky to find.
Les

Thank you Les. I will certainly do that. -Dusty
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article