All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Translate record Carolina Hansdtr Skiptvet 1862
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Patti Tolo
Starting member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  00:24:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need help translating the text relating to Carolina Hansdtr born 26 Aug 1862 in Skiptvet, Norway. She is my 2nd great grandmother. Her granddaughter - my grandmother, Olga Andersen emmigrated to Duluth, Minnesota, USA around 1923.

Source information: Ĝstfold county, Skiptvet, Parish register (official) nr. 7 (1861-1866), Birth and baptism records 1862, page 19.

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20060320020387.jpg

Patti T
Minneapolis, MN

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  07:04:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carolina was born out of wedlock on Aug 26. Her mother was Oliana Johannesdatter, Stavseng and the father was Hans Jensen, Torsnĉs in Vaaler. (Hans Jensen denied on 26 september that he was the childs father.)
Carolina was Olianas 2nd child born out of wedlock.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

janrm
Medium member

Norway
80 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  19:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I think Caroline's confirmation is #9 here in 1877, with the same father.

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=433&idx_id=433&uid=ny&idx_side=-99

Looks like Mr. Jensen had to admit fatherhood after all.....

Jan, (Mr.) Norway
Go to Top of Page

SusanArnold

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  22:32:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a cousin who lived in Michigan and her biological father was Hans Jensen and he was briefly married to (my aunt) Marie Isetts. Think he had emigrated to the U.S. around 1914, and supposedly had planned to come on the Titanic but there had been a change of plans... fortunately. I realize that is a very common name, but wonder if there could be any relation?

Sue Hardin

Edited by - SusanArnold on 10/05/2011 22:33:36
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  00:12:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are interested in a Hans Jensen who may have emigrated to the US about 1914 -- first check for WHEN he was born and better info about when he immigrated -- US censuses are good for that. Even his application for marriage license to Marie Isetts should give you a lot more information.

Then you can check for passenger arrival records which should give information about WHERE in Norway your guy was coming from. Try the Ellis Island search websites -- they are online and free.

A common name like that and you really have to do a bunch of background research first.
Go to Top of Page

SusanArnold

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  07:18:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it was a common name and would have to get my cousin to give me more detailed info but I think he was Swedish decent and she had little contact with him after parents divorced.

Sue Hardin
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  13:36:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also consider that the poster was talking about a Hans Jensen who fathered a child in 1862. You are talking about a Hans Jensen who immigrated about 1914 and who then married. That is at least a 52 year time span. So you think that Marie Isetts married a man who was probably at least 72 years old?
Go to Top of Page

janrm
Medium member

Norway
80 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  15:57:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with Hopkins, I think it is quite unlikely this Hans Jensen emigrated to America in 1914.

I think however he is here aged 37 in the 1865-Census:

http://www.digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=7&filnamn=f60137&gardpostnr=2&personpostnr=7&merk=7#ovre

Caroline was confirmated from Karterud in 1877, it could be that she was "put away" to the people at Karterud quite small.

I think she may be here aged 4 in the 1865-Census:

http://www.digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=30&filnamn=f60127&gardpostnr=233&merk=233#ovre

Haven't looked that close for her mother Oliana Johannesd., but she does not seem to be in Skiptvedt in 1865.

Jan, (Mr.) Norway
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  18:49:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find some add. info. here, Marie Isabell Isett b. 1921.
If Hans Jensen em. 1914 he was much older than Marie.

More info from rootsweb here

Hans Jensen was probably not a Swede, the ending Jensen instead of the Swedish Jenson or Jensson is probably Norwegian or Danish.

No rule without exeption.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 11/05/2011 18:56:47
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  19:46:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But the spelling here in the US can have little or nothing to do with the spelling patterns of the home country -- we are just TERRIBLE at that. They really have to check for something which would give actual information as related by the person themselves.

Go to Top of Page

janrm
Medium member

Norway
80 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  20:38:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Have a [u]possible[u] candidate for Caroline's mum here:

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=432&idx_id=432&uid=ny&idx_side=-103

A Olianna Maria Johannesdatter dies aged 39 on Dec 14, 1864 in Skiptvedt. The farm name is Lundshagen.

Jan, (Mr.) Norway
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  22:28:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Olianna Maria Johannesdatter was a "Gaardmandskone" when she died Dec 1864. The Oliana Johannesdatter was unmarried when she gave birth to Carolina in Aug 1862.
No Olianna Johannesdatter was married in Skiptvet from 1865 to aug 1864, - I don't believe you found Carolinas mum.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

janrm
Medium member

Norway
80 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2011 :  18:25:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was not sure about that one at all, Einar , you are most likely right!

But I Think this Hans Jensen was still alive in 1910!

However not asked for maybe the poster knows this aleady!

Jan, (Mr.) Norway
Go to Top of Page

SusanArnold

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2011 :  21:17:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopkins was right, and you people are good! but thanks for doing search on my Aunt Marie! I just realised that her middle name would be "Ingebjorg" in Norway (or so I read somewhere).

Sue Hardin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article