All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Føderåd or kår
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sandy
New on board

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  19:11:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope you can help me with the term føderåd. My ancestors settled in Wisconsin in 1850. The oldest son to immigrate entered into contracts to purchase 120 acres in 1853. In 1861 he sold the contract to buy the land to his brother, Elias for $300. Elias borrowed the $300 from his parents. I have found a contract between Elias and his parents stating the “condition of their (Elias, his heirs, executors, and administrators) obligation . . . for and in consideration of a competent sum to him (Elias) in hand paid by (the parents),” basically that Elias will maintain his parents with “meat, drink, clothes, and all other things, necessary and convenient.
Would this be called in Norway a føderåd? I also have found the term kår and my dictionary says it is “a sort of pensioner, receiving support from new owners of the farm by contract made on the sale. Is this a contract a Kår or a Føderåd or neither?

Sandy

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  19:26:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From a special dictionary:
Føderåd - support received after giving one's estate to one's successor. Also called "kaar"/"kår".

More terms here.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 15/06/2011 19:29:10
Go to Top of Page

janrm
Medium member

Norway
80 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  14:51:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi!

Saw this topic, it definitely looks like an agreement like "føderaad"!

These kår (also named føderåd and livøre) contracts are often refered to in detail in bygdebøker, I’ve loosely translated one from my bygdebok here:

Widow Kari Pedersdatter N Holter, (1776-1849) got the following “kår” in 1831:

- free accomodation
- A maid (“tjenestepige”) at her service
- free food for one cow, if this kaar-cow did not produce any milk, Kari was to receive 2 pots of milk from the farm daily
- food for one sheep
- land to sow one setting linseed
- free rides to church and other necessary transports
- 4 barrels of barley
- 1 barrel of rye
- A half barrel peas
- A half barrel of malt
- 2 bismer pounds pork meat
- 2 bismer pounds steak
- One fed sheep

I’ve also seen “decent funeral” as an item in kår/føderåd/livøre – contracts as well as sugar and tobacco..!

Another issue is that the above mentioned Kari had 10 children, but only 3 grew up...

Jan, (Mr.) Norway
Go to Top of Page

lehveem
New on board

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2019 :  13:43:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hei Jan, I am writing a family history, and would like to credit you, but also the correct bygdebok that this quote came from. Is that ok and can you tell me which book and volume? And publishing info from the front? My grandparents were from Kolbu, and Østre Toten. The Hveem farm still has my second cousin and many more throughout Toten. I would have e-mailed privately, but this is my first post and the the admins require more before I can e-mail. Maybe you can see my Norway-Heritage e-mail and send your personal e-mail if you like and I will send mine.

Tusen takk
Lee Ellen Hveem

Lee Ellen
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article