All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Søren Tellefsen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  01:59:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps I can eliminate one Søren Tellefsen using the 1865 census. Here is a Søren Tellefsen born in Kristiansand abt. 1795 age is 70. This is likely Søren Tellefsen born in Kristiansand Nov 1794. I know from the Åmli Tovdal bygdebok that the Søren Tellefsen I am interested in died in 1857 and his wife Rannei Larsdatter did not die until 1871. Thus this Søren Tellefsen is likely not the Søren Tellefsen married to Rannei Larsdatte but is likely the Søren Tellefsen born in Kristiansand with parents Tellef Tellefsen and
Anne Andersdatter. This leaves just one maybe two Søren Tellefsen none of which has a father named Tellef Sørensen unfortunately.
¨
http://www.digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=2&filnamn=f60903&gardpostnr=93&personpostnr=856&merk=856#ovre
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  02:28:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Focusing on the Søren Tellefsen born 1797 parents Tellef Nielsen and Ane Tommesdatter. I notice that the birth record has him born in Tveit, Vest-Agder, whereas the 1801 census has him living in Tviet, Birkenes, Aust-Agder. Are they truly two different places or is this one those instances in which Tveit sits on the borderof Vest-Agder and Aust-Agder and is moved from one county to the other.

Could someone clarify this for me.
Go to Top of Page

hasto

Norway
294 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  21:15:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Søren Tellefsen (70) in Arendal 1865 is the one born in Grødum, Tveit. His son Thomas Sørensen, born in Kristiansand 1832 nr 133, and his marriage 1824 nr 44.

Harald S Storaker
4586 Korshamn, Norge
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2011 :  03:40:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Harold that puts me back on track. I only have two candidates, and one of them is somewhat iffy because he was born in 1788 not 1797.

1. Søren Tellefsen born 1794 parents Tellef Tellefsen and Anne Andersdatter associated with Oddernes, Randersund and Tveit in Vest-Ager. Father dead in 1801 Census mother calls herself Anne Tellefsen. Farms called Eftevig, Koesvig, Stangenes, Støle

2. Søren Tellefsen born 1788 parents Tellef Barentsen? Tonnesland and Targier Sørensdatter associated with Tonnesland and Houland in either Hornnes AA or Bjelland VA. Father also dead at 1801 census, mother remarried.
Parents engagement announced? 1786 about a third of the way down left page.

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=9445&idx_id=9445&uid=ny&idx_side=-60

Edited by - AntonH on 19/09/2011 23:10:15
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2011 :  02:41:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having received this information through the Brukernes eget forum I wonder if anyone could translate the words following Søren Teffesen in the fifth column. Does it say fra Hartveidt or Hartsveidt.Sogn and what is the meaning of that column.

Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2011 :  07:42:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the 5th column is listed where the person came from. In this case Søren Tellefsen "Tjenestekarl" (farmhand) came from Hordnæs (Hornnes) Sogn (parish) in Evje.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 20/09/2011 07:44:34
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2011 :  08:39:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tellev Bærentsen, Tønnesland and Targier Sørensdatter, Grosaas were married March 28 1786, see last record on left page.

Their first child, Karen In th 1801 census Kari) was baptized Oct 1 1786, see #3.

Søren was baptized Oct 12 1788, see #1 at Dom 21 p Trinit.

Tellef Berentsen, Tønnesland, 41 years old, was burried Oct 21 1792, see bottom of right page.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2011 :  16:42:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Einar for the information. Maybe moving toward a tentative conclusion. Can you take a look at another bit of information that Ann-Mary found on Brukernes eget forum. Here the words are av Iveland. How does the word av differ in use from the word fra which is used other times. Does av Iveland mean something different that if it had said fra Iveland. This is from the Ministrialbok in contrast to the other which was from the Klokkerbok. Also #17

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=9420&idx_id=9420&uid=ny&idx_side=-178
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2011 :  23:21:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spent some time today at the library with the bygdebøker for Hornnes and Iveland. The Hornnes bygdebok has a section on Tønnesland and also a section on Haugland. The Iveland bygdebok had a secton on Grosaas and a section on Frøysaa.
The section on Grosaas indicates that Targier Sørensdatter was first married in 1786 to Tellef Berntsen Tønnesland and later to Olav Olsson Haugland (Hornnes). Her father is listed as Søren Torgiesen Frøysaa. The section on Tønnesland refers to Targiers first husband as Tollie Berntson frå Kile i Hægeland (I have not yet found this farm). The Haugland section has a paragraph or two on Ola Olson Tønnesland-Haugland. Unfortunatley it ends with the words. "Kor Ola Olson seinare flytte, er ukjend". This is after he has sold Haugland br.nr. 2 to Torgei Sørensen, this was in about 1806 so Søren Tellefsen would have been about 18
The part about Frøysaa has a section on Thorgj Tolleison, father of Søren Torgiesen, later to become father of Targier. It does not say much about Søren only that he "kom til Grosaas".

There does seem to be some moderately stong facts connecting the Søren Tellefsen who married Rannie Larsdatter to the Søren Tellefsen son of Tellef Berentsen and Targier Sørensdatter. Mostly locations given for Søren Tellefsen given in the scanned church records are where Søren Tellefsen son of Tellef Berentsen and Targier Sørensdatter is from. That is Hornnes and Iveland.
Problems are his father is listed as Tellef Sørensen in the Åmli church records not Tellef Berentsen. However his mother is a Sørensdatter and he would have been only four years old when his father died. Maybe he used a combination of his fathers first name and mothers last name.
Second problem is his birth year is 1788 not 1797 which is also given in the Åmli church record. I have no explanation for that.

Any comments on the evidence pro and con would be appreciated.

Edited by - AntonH on 20/09/2011 23:26:26
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  09:43:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Does av Iveland mean something different that if it had said fra Iveland.
- I don't see any difference between the two expressions - means coming from.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  09:45:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Any comments on the evidence pro and con would be appreciated
- this will require quite some time to investigate, have to be later some time.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  15:45:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The section on Grosaas indicates that Targier Sørensdatter was first married in 1786 to Tellef Berntsen Tønnesland and later to Olav Olsson Haugland (Hornnes)
- first marriage see posting 20/09/2011 : 08:39:36.
Second marriage, Jan 18 1794, see 4th record on left page.
Targeir and Ole in 1801.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 21/09/2011 15:46:34
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  16:29:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Kile i Hægeland (I have not yet found this farm)
- in Vest-Agder, Oddernæs, Hægeland, Kiile.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 21/09/2011 17:22:53
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  00:26:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have finally received some scanned pages from the Randesund bygdebok. While it does give me some information on the paents of Søren Tellefsen it does not mention his birth or who he married.. I did find his birth record. 1794

But I am not able to distinguish between the two.

Is it Søren Tellefsen born Oct 1, 1788 to Tollei Berntson Kile and Tarjerd Sørensdatter Fryøsaa OR

Is it Søren Tellefsen born Nov 2, 1794 to Tellef Tellefsen Vesterhaus and Anne Andersdatter Kosvig..

Such is life.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  01:55:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

What are the first names of each of their children in order?

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article