All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Help me read this?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  15:04:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have located a death record for a young Salve (Salvesen) Hage who died in Buenos Aires, South America in October 1868 that I cannot completely read because of the handwriting. I'm hoping someone can help me decipher the words in the column for 'Full name and position of the deceased' and in the column for 'If cause of death was a contageous disease, then which disease, or if cause of death was an accident'.

His death entry is listed in the parish records for Skudeneshavn, Rogaland (his parents' home) as record #92 on page 339. He was 16 years old when he died.

Young Salve Hage's death

I already have this young man's birth, baptism, vaccination, confirmation and his entry in the 1865 Norwegian census. I know his parents, siblings and his entire family history. The death record is what I would appreciate your help with.

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  16:11:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not easy to read Salves occupation.

Salve died of "sjørbug" (skjørbuk) scurvy.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 04/11/2011 10:02:41
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  16:58:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you KÃ¥re! I agree that the handwriting was very very difficult and I appreciate your working to help me with it.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  18:32:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Styrmand
Navigat(i)on

mate - navigation ??

Jan Peter

Btw; Scurvy is a deficiency disease, and is caused by lack of vitamin C (ascorbic acid).
The disease developes after 4-7 months with a diet lacking citrus, and was the cause of death for many sailors, before they found the root cause.
The solution was to add oranges and lemons into the diet...

Edited by - jwiborg on 03/11/2011 19:00:32
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  19:11:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That could be a better translation.

To be a mate/navigator at age 17.
He was too young.
Perhaps he was in training to be educated to a navigator /mate?

Was Salves father or one in the nearby family a shipowner?

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  20:24:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you too, Jan Peter. Your input is also appreciated.

Yes, the boy's father was Salve Arnbjørnsen Hage (1803-1870) who was a merchant and ship owner in Skudeneshavn. The entire family was involved in those businesses, including sons and sons-in-law.

I can share a link to the 1865 Norwegian census for the family as a quick summary.
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1865&knr=1150&kenr=013&bnr=0055&lnr=000

I'm trying to explain family information to my cousins who have many many questions beyond the basic "family tree" so I'm just digging a little deeper in some areas.

Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

Magnar Hjelmeland
Medium member

Norway
96 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  20:56:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I am also read (Styrmand Navigatør) navigator, Hard to believe that a 16 year old boy could call himself a navigator. Not sure what law was at that time, in the 1960 you had to be 21 to be on your own duty, at list in foreign trade. Magnar.

mhj.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  21:10:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Magnar.

Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  21:21:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Norwegian 1865 census contain 88 men at the age of 20 or younger, with the occupation "Styrmand". The youngest is 16:
16 y.o.: 1
17 y.o.: 2
18 y.o.: 5
19 y.o.: 17
20 y.o.: 63

I think that in a family where the whole business is about merchandise and shipping, he would already have been on ships for years at the age of 16, and thus learned the profession "the hard way"...
The father Salve Hage was, as a ship owner and a merchant with commercial citizenship a prosperous person in the community, and most likely a little "posh"... It was probably the parents who informed the priest about the deceased's occupation, and they could have exaggerated a little, for a better posthumous reputation...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 03/11/2011 21:48:16
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  23:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking the same thing. The report to the parish priest could easily have been "polished" a bit. The boy completed his church confirmation when he was almost 15 years old so probably began his career on the sea shortly after that.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  23:25:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

But wasn't the connection between Vitamin C and scurvy known then? British sailors were called "limeys" because of their methods of dealing with it involved lime juice....

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  00:54:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, that connection wasn't proven until the early 1900s. There are articles available online about that history... when in doubt check Wikipedia for the quick answer but remember that information should be double checked with other sources.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  03:25:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Well apparently it was hinted at (1497 Vasco da Gama!), with common sensical practice (1780s Cook's voyages), requiring lemons as treatment in the Royal Navy from 1799 on but didnot become a "settled" question until 1932! Interesting story:

http://idlewords.com/2010/03/scott_and_scurvy.htm

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article