All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Tollef T. Thompson - Help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2011 :  19:09:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not know if this gets us any further but I think this could be him in the 1870 US Census. He is living with a family named Morris. Since the earlier data shows his son Andrew having been born in Wisconsin this might be him. If so that would indicate the 1862 immigration date as more likely.

1870 United States Federal Census 1870 United States Federal Census
Name: Toliff Thompson
Age in 1870: 18
Birth Year: abt 1852
Birthplace: Norway
Home in 1870: Fennimore, Grant, Wisconsin
Race: White
Post Office: Fennimore Center

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  00:17:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

The 1870 census was taken in July so it is possible for someone leaving Norway in the spring of that year to end up someplace in America by the time the census was taken.

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  00:43:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

In the WWI draft registration cards there was an Andrew Leonard Thompson b. 1875 27 Feb 1876 living in Hennepin County, Minnesota whose nearest relative was a Tollef T. Thompson at Blackduck, Minnesota.

In the Minnesota deaths and burials database at www.familysearch.org is this Andrew Thompson:

Name: Andrew L. Thompson
Burial Date: 17 Dec 1945
Burial Place: Clarissa, Minnesota
Death Date: 14 Dec 1945
Death Place: Eagle Valley, Todd, Minnesota
Birth Date: 1875
Birthplace:
Race:
Marital Status:
Spouse's Name:
Father's Name: Tolef T. Thompson
Father's Birthplace:
Mother's Name: Melina Severson
Mother's Birthplace:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: B02568-9
System Origin: Minnesota-EASy
Source Film Number: 2243501
Reference Number: 15924
Jackie M.

Edited by - jkmarler on 07/12/2011 18:10:43
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  04:30:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Some interesting findings in the Årdal parish registers and the Bergen Emigrants list at the digitalarkiverket.

In the Bergen's list there is a Tollef Thomsen Hestetun resident of Aardal b. 1853 leaving in April 1874.

In the Bergen's list there is a Sivert Thomassen Hestethun b. 1855 resident of Aardal leaving in April 1880

In the Bergen's list there is a Thomas Thomassen Hestethun b. 1863 resident of Aardal leaving in May 1882.

In the utflyttede register of Aardal for 1882 there are a Brita Thomasdtr Hestetun b 1854, Ingeborg Thomasdtr Hestetun b. 1856 and a Thomas Thomassen Hestetun leaving:

Source information: Sogn og Fjordane county, Årdal, Parish register (official) nr. A 3 (1863-1886), Migration records 1883, page 371.
Permanent pagelink: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=6949&idx_id=6949&uid=ny&idx_side=-307

So with a few bumpy spots (some of the birthyears don't match exactly) it appears as if at least 5 of the formerly Lærdal /later Aardal family have gone to America....

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  05:35:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the arrival record for a Tollef T. I think the last name should be transcribed as Hestethun but it is not. Another bit of evidence is that there is also Tollef H Lysne on board this ship. Tollef H is the person directly above Tollef T in the list for Emigranter fra Bergen referenced by Jackie above. No useful information was given in the ships manifest.

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Name: Tollef T Heabethein
Arrival Date: 5 May 1874
Birth Year: abt 1852
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Norwegian
Place of Origin: Norway
Port of Departure: Bergen, Norway
Destination: United States of America
Port of Arrival: New York
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States
Ship Name: Hakon Adelstein

I guess the question is, is this the same Tollef T Thompson who is the subject of this discussion.

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  06:02:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Yes, just exploring the Tollef Thomassen b. 1852 referenced by Kåre above. He could be the right fellow--name is the most direct Norwegian rendition of the American name, age about right and he left Norway for America at a time within +/- 5 years of one of the possible migration dates given in the American records.

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  06:33:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

This appears to be the death record of father of the Lærdal / Årdal family Tomas Tollefson, also husmand on Hestetun, #12 bottom of page:

Source information: Sogn og Fjordane county, Årdal, Parish register (official) nr. A 3 (1863-1886), Death and burial records 1885, page 325.
Permanent pagelink: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=6949&idx_id=6949&uid=ny&idx_side=-272

Interesting website with short discussion about Tomas Torleivson family 7 of 8 children of his went to America:

http://home.online.no/~arnm/daley.html

And another interesting database with entries concerning this family (and many other from Årdal:

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=PED&db=thag&id=I8361

Jackie M.

Edited by - jkmarler on 04/12/2011 08:19:08
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  18:12:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John,

There seems to be some trouble with the email service on this site--my message today and yesterday haven't seem to have gone... O well.

Not sure what Einar wants to know but perhaps you can confirm that the Tollef found in Hennepin County, Minnesota & Itasca County is yours. The uncertainty of his dates make looking for someone in Norway more difficult--many more people / places to look.

Which of his children do you descend from? What sorts of family info do you have to start with?

Sorry to be nosy but a good hunt is a fun thing.

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  18:28:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jackie, very interesting especially the first website. In that website Tolleiv T is listed as being born 1852 but having married Mary C Olson. I guess I thought from our earlier data that Tolleiv T was married to two Emma's. Anyway I did find Sjur living in Minnesota with wife Anna, so the website has that data correct, thus maybe wife is named Mary C Olson.

1910 United States Federal Census 1910 United States Federal Census
Name: Sjur Thompson
Age in 1910: 75
Birth Year: 1835
Birthplace: Norway
Home in 1910: Rosewood, Chippewa, Minnesota
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1856
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Anna Thompson
Father's Birthplace: Norway
Mother's Birthplace: Norway
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Sjur Thompson 75
Anna Thompson

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  20:38:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Unfortunately remove whatever is impossible and what remains is the truth. What appears to be impossible is to be both married and single in the same month of 1880.

In the 1880 census quoted previously we have Tollef Thompson, wife Emma and two sons named Andrew and Seivert (or something like that) living in Hennepin County, Minnesota.

Based on information about other family members of the Lærdal / Årdal family, I went looking for Synneve Thomasdatter (name carried as Susan a common Americaniztion of Synneve) and found her family I think--and also Tollef and Sjur Thompson in 1880. Tollef is single as is Sjur (Sever). They are identified as brothers-in-law to the head of household Ole Erickson.

The 1880 census in Wisconsin:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MNH2-SJZ

There are also some births recorded in the www.usgenweb.com site for Crawford County, Wisconsin whose parents are identified as Tollif Thompson and Mary Olson and Sever Thompson and Anna Gald, couples named at the Årdal picture farm site.

The birth database for Crawford County, Wisconsin:
http://files.usgwarchives.net/wi/crawford/vitals/births/v2-3-st.txt

So barring something extraordinary happening it appears the promising Tollef Thomason Hestetun can't be the man, in both Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Square one again!

Jackie M.

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  21:15:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

About the 2 Mrs' of Tollef, yes, Mary would be another wholly different name for her. In the 1880 census in Hennepin, her name is given as Emma.

If the Andrew L. Thompson in the WWI database is actually the son of Tollef and is the same Andrew Thompson whose death was quoted earlier--then his mother is given the name of Melina Severson.

About Andrew's brother Sievert, this may be his death recorded also at www.familysearch.org:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FD7T-P8L

In that record his mother's name is given as Emma Severson. So it seems possible, if these 2 are the brothers, the sons of Tollef, that their mother's name might be Emma Malina or Emmelina Syverson / Syversdatter.

It may be possible that each of the sons are named for their grandfathers, 1st for Anders / Andreas for Tollef's father; 2nd for Syver for Emma's father.

In the run through of the 1865 census looking for Tollef born in 1852, I did find one fellow named Tollef Andreason who was born in Lier, living on Kopperud and his father was named Anders Tollefson. This might be someone to vette.

On the other hand, Tollef's insistence on using T. for a middle initial might also be revealing further down the road.

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  23:57:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the Marriage of Tollef with his second wife, here called Kalot which I guess became Emma at some point in time.

Minnesota, Marriages Index, 1849-1950 Minnesota, Marriages Index, 1849-1950
Name: Tollaf T Thompson
Birth Place: Hennepin, Minnesota
Marriage Date: 2 Sep 1894
Marriage Place: Minneapolis, Hennepin, Minnesota
Spouse's Name: Kalot Petterson
Spouse Gender: Female
Spouse Birth Place: Hennepin, Minnesota
Event Type: Marriage

Go to Top of Page

johnboyy
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  15:39:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First thanks to everyone for all the help, I am doing what I can to track down any relatives I can find still living. Tollef T Thompson is the man I am trying to get more information about and to be honest I am stuck. Tollef is my great, great grandfather. His daughter Anna is my grandfather’s mother. My grandfather left the farm in Minnesota (third river, Itasca) in 1940 something. He joined the army and I had thought never looked back, called or anything. I just found out from my mother, she, my grandmother, and my uncle lived on the farm for a couple of years while my grandfather was in Korea (Korean war). My mom and uncle have no real memory of living there, they were just too young. Both my grandfather and grandmother have long since passed away. When my grandfather passed away my aunt did talk and was in communication to some point with my grandfather’s sister, I will assume Evelyn. My aunt passed away 9 years ago and my uncle is currently looking for any papers he might still have, but no word yet.
Einar and Jackie I do thank you both for all the help you have provided and I am sorry for not including more information to you. First I started with all I knew, Blackduck or third river, Itasca, Minnesota and Elmer Alvin Anderson and my Grandmother, Adeline Josephine Boileau (Belgium). And a possible mothers name of Anna.
Still working on finding out Anna's Husbands name?
From that here is what I have been able to figure out:
1930's census: Elmer Anderson gave me and verified Anna Anderson, and Thompson and I think Andrew. Also third river, Itasca, Minnesota
1920's census: Three Girls, I want to say, Anna, Lena, and Decker
1910's census: First spotting of Tollef (possible died in 1918), Andrew, Sever, Anna, Lena, Decker, and Thomas
1900's census: Only spotting of Emma (possible later member of state hospital, and Tollef, and kids, Hennepin, Minneapolis, Minnesota
1890's census: Does not Exist
1880's census: Tollef, first wife Emma (no idea actual name and no idea what happened), and Andrew and Sever, Hennepin, Minneapolis, Minnesota
I also may have or did find marriage records for Andrew, Sever, Lena, Decker, and military records for Thomas. Land records for Tollef for land in Itasca.
Other than that I found a few state census with a name or a couple of names and dates, but not much more. I have not found marriage records or even death records for Tollef( possible death record) or his wives. No marriage record for Anna or Annie, still wondering about that, but assume maybe Tollef just called her Annie and said Annie to census people. Honestly, Tollef and his wives is where I am stuck. I know second wife from Sweden and kids were born in Minnesota and the first two Andrew and Sever were born in Wisconsin and their mothers family was from Norway(according to census). Either decker or Lena's husband was also from Norway, crossed the Canadian border into Vermont. Honestly this is just about all that I know. Sorry I wish I could Offer you more help, but I am stuck, I am hoping my uncle will find some letters to help unravel more. Again thank you

Thanks for everything, Johnboyy
Go to Top of Page

johnboyy
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  16:14:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, sorry the last one was so long, Also sorry for posting yet one more so soon. Here are some thoughts I had regarding First Tollef and one of his Wives names. First I put Sever in the above post and I should have put Sievert. In the different census it is spelled and written different but I think this is correct. Now for Tollef, T. Thompson my thought is, Tollef Thomas Thompson. My reason and thought behind this is simple reasoning, But I do not know how the Americanized their names, nor who or why. But my thought was Norwegian name thought being Thomas Tollefesen, if he did the change maybe knowing his name Tollefeson would be changed to Thompson picked Tollef as his first name because he wanted to keep his family name alive, knowing he would lose Tollefeson took Tollef as his first name and then his real first name becoming his middle name of Thomas. Now I have no proof but it is my thought and would like your opinion. now his wife, second one that is. My thought without any proof in Emma Kalot Petterson, I found a state census that had Lotty as her name so thinking into it I thought Since first wife was also an Emma, maybe he or they chose to call he my her middle name, being kalot, or lotty, just a thought but with reason. But I still do not know his first wives full name, all I know is the reading Emma as well. I really need to organize my notes and get my date and names in order. Sorry, just wanted to share my opinion and get your thoughts.

Thanks for everything, Johnboyy
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  16:42:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

About the son Severt (or Syver, Syvert, Sjur, Sivert, Sever, Sjugard all spelling of that Norwegian name):

From the death record for Severt Martin Thompson I went looking for his marriage and found this at www.mncounty.com:

HENNEPIN 01070396 12/7/1904 THOMPSON, SCHURT TAYLOR, SYLVIA

This Severt and Sylvia had one child a daughter named Gladys Irene Thompson born 31 Dec 1911. Gladys married a man named Claydon Haner and they had at least one child a daughter named Claydonna Lee Haner who was born in 1930 and died in 1943. Gladys died as a young woman herself in 1945.

After I'd looked for all this stuff, I found that this Severt and his wife Sylvia are very well recorded at www.findagrave.com, here are the links:

Severt’s findagrave memorial:
www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=53386548" target="_blank">http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=53386548

Severt’s wife Sylvia’s findagrave memorial
www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=51999491" target="_blank">http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=51999491

Is that the same information you have?

Did you find Tollef in the Minnesota State Census of 1885?

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article