All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Tollef T. Thompson - Help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  18:11:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnboyy

When my grandfather passed away my aunt did talk and was in communication to some point with my grandfather’s sister, I will assume Evelyn.

Your grandfather's sister's name was Evelyn? If so this may be her from the Minnesota birth index online at www.mnhs.org:

Anderson, Evelyn Helen Lorraine
Date of Birth: 27 Oct 1921
Mother Maiden Name: Thompson
certid# 1921-10028
County of Birth: Faribault

It may seem tedious but most every insoluable Norwegian ancestry problem can be solved with information already at our disposal in America.

There are a couple of reasons why you want to get information on as many of your relatives here as possible:

Any who are related to you deserve equal treatment from you--you honor them by remembering them

Differences in life experience can lead to different memories--the oldest children in a family of say 10 kids will know another generation of relatives that the younger ones won't--each end of the family spectrum have had enriching experiences which the others may not know unless you unlock them!

Practical matters--perhaps the other relative's family have preserved memories and artifacts and records that your family didn't. If you don't know who those people are you, you need to find them and get access to the things & memories they may have preserved.

There may or may not be a record on Tollef over here that indicates where he was born in Norway. It is possible that it's in something you haven't looked at yet (church records and the like but even the actual death certificate of the possibleTollef in 1918 may have more information than what has been transcribed) But memory of that place may be preserved in the records of his children, grandchildren and great grandchildren.

Long posts are not a sin!

Good Luck to you!

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

johnboyy
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  19:52:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, 1930 census, Elmer was 1 year older then Evelyn. Elmer was born in 1926 so Evelyn would have been born in 1927 or 1928 depending on her month of birth. Now Isedor like I said in an earlier post was from Norway. I found his border crossing record yesterday, I need to find where I wrote everything down, But he crossed from Canada into the US in Vermont with him Writing his destination as Blackduck. Now I would think he know someone in Blackduck in order to want to travel there. Also he married Lena soon after possibly arriving. Wondering if he is from the same area as Tollef? Honestly I am wondering why a guy left Norway and headed to Blackduck, Mn? My thought is first he had to know someone in Blackduck. But I also wonder if it was an arranged marriage of sorts. Tollef had already passed away I think, so he could not have arranged it, But this was a thought I had.
And yes I agree this is why I want to do this family tree. So my kids and even I will know where we come from, the people, places, and History of our family. Well as much as I can anyways. I would truly love to have pictures to include, but first I need to find the people.

Household
Isedor Erickson M 37
Lena S Erickson F 32
Dorothy C Erickson F 5
Thomas A Thompson M 31
Anna M Anderson F 34
Elmer A Anderson M 3
Evelyn L Anderson F 2

Thanks for everything, Johnboyy
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  20:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Lena got married in Hennepin County this is from www.mncounty.com site:

HENNEPIN 02700435 7/12/1923 ERICKSON, ISANDOR A THOMPSON, LENA S

I think the census also shows Isador is from Sweden. Here is a link to the transcription at www.familysearch.org:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X389-YJ8

Your grandfather and his sister are listed as being born in Montana, not Minnesota so my reference of a birth of Evelyn Anderson before is not your grandfather's sister.

Here is Isedor's death record from www.mncounty.com:

ERICKSON, ISEDOR
Date of Birth: 15 AUG 1892
Place of Birth: OUT OF STATE
Mother Maiden Name: (UNKNOWN)
CERTID# 1973-MN-011551
Date of Death: 21 MAY 1973
County of Death: BELTRAMI

Beltrami is the county just to the west of Itasca.

Jackie M.

Edited by - jkmarler on 06/12/2011 00:23:41
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  02:33:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

There are lots of resources on the norwayheritage site.

http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_list.asp?jo=648

If this works it should take you to the transcribed passenger list of the vessel Fridleif from a voyage in 1870 which carried a man named Tellef Tellefson, age 1921, a workman, #248. All sorts of professions named on this voyage--painter, joiner, veterinarian, not so many mentioned as farmers.

Lots of the farm names mentioned on this list are from Aust Agder and Telemark.

Jackie M.

Edited by - jkmarler on 06/12/2011 03:29:44
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  21:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tvedestrand is in Aust-Agder, link
I belive Tellef Tellefsen you found Jackie was from either Aust-Agder or the southern part of Telemark County.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  22:25:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Yes, when you search for Tellef in the 1865 census, you are virtually assured that you will be looking at someone from Telemark, Aust Agder or Vest Agder. Tollef with the first vowel as an "e" seems to be a local spelling variation.

I did check in the 1865 Norwegian census online for any Tellef Tellefson b. 1849 and found 1 each in Aust Agder and Vest Agder. Tellef Tellefson on Heirefos farm in Homedal was found in Hommedal Herefoss parish registers with birth date of 8 Apr 1849, The other Tellef, Tellef Bernhardt Tellefson was found in Vest Agder in Oddernaes born on 4 July 1849. Tellef was already a sailor in 1865 and his father's name was Christian Tellefson but all in the family are recorded with the Tellefson patronymic.

Some background information on Third River Township, Itasca County, Minnesota from the newsletter of the Itasca Genealogy Club newsletter summer 1997, Volume 13, No. 2, pages 14-15. This two page article was abstracted from the 1916 Itasca County plat map. A T.L. Thompson is found with land in Sections 7 and 18 of Third River Twp. The township was organized on 23 Aug 1902. Other bits of info are that there is only one cemetery inside the township and it's called "Rosy Cemetery". There was a post office also at and called Rosy. In 1916, church services were being held in Swedish and English at the post office but .."it had been 2 years since a minister had been in the area." The first school built in 1901 was called Decker Lake School, taught by Ada Fay Collins. First students named were: 3 Erickson children, Oscar Bohn, Cass Nolan, 2 Daigel girls. Settlers coming in 1899 included 2 people from Minneapolis, Carl Anderson and C. Frog.

Hilsen,
Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  23:55:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi.
A third option is Tellef Tellefsen born out of wedloc in Åmli July 29. bap. August 26. 1849.
Parents; Bachelor Tollef Olsen Tverstøl and Maid Gunild Olsdatter Rostveit.

He em April 1870 on Fridleif, see Jackies posting, pass. nr 248, the proof is pass. nr 246 and 247, the twinsister´s Signe and Ingeborg (Olsdatter)Tverstøl.
All three em. from Åmli April 1870, see right page # 6-7-8

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 08/12/2011 10:34:01
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9227 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  00:22:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the time they reached Canada the names were well scrambled to Pellef Tellefsen, Signe Olvesdatter Sverstol and Ingeborg Sverstol. No destination or other useful information is found on the ships manifest.

Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935 Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935
Name: Pellef Tellefsen
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1849
Date of Arrival: 20 Jun 1870
Vessel: Fridleif
Search Ship Database: View the 'Fridleif' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: Quebec, Quebec
Port of Departure: Tvedestrand, Norway

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  00:58:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Anton & Kåre,

Thanks for extra eyes on this. Interesting on that page also just before Ingeborg is Angrim Evenson Fiskvatten who was mentioned in the "Ellen Olson" topic earlier...

He is also on the norwayheritage list #212 with the farm name recorded as Fiskratten.

Other people on the utflyttes page and on the norway heritage ship's list are #s 104, 105 John Giermonæs and his daugther Anne Giermonæs, #131, 132 Kiersti Tverstøl, Anne Tverstøl.

Tverstøl would be an interesting farm to be from as that might represent an extra T in one's name....

Jackie M.

Edited by - jkmarler on 08/12/2011 01:33:48
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  01:39:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bummer!

Here is a database which has a Tollef T. Tverstol b. July 1850, fairly recently tended but not the guy in the inquiry....

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=hvidsten_m&id=I16965

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  10:28:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An interesting theory.
Tellef Tellefsen Tverstøl could have been named Tellef Tverstøl in Norway.
Tellef Tverstøl Tellefsen
Tollef T. Thompson.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9227 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  16:36:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the 1885 Minnesota State and Territorial Census for Tellef (Thomas) Thompson. Andrew is listed as being born in Wisconsin and is 9 years old (1876). Other son spelled Sever here is listed as being born in Minnesota and is age 6.

Andrew Thompson son of Tellef was according to the 1900 US Census born Jan 1876 in Wisconsin.
Year of immigration was given in 1900 as 1870 for Tellef.

John what if anything further do you know about the time spent in Wisconsin. It might be useful if we knew where in Wisconsin Tellef was married and where Andrew was born. I have looked for the birth of Andrew Thompson Jan 1876 in Wisconsin but so far have not been able to piinpoint a location.

Minnesota Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905 Minnesota Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
Name: Thomas Thompson
Census Date: 1 May 1885
County: Hennepin
Locality: Minneapolis
Birth Location: Norway
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1852
Race: White

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9227 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  16:59:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the Ancestry.com records, here is the only Thompson born in Wisconsin in Jan 1876.

Wisconsin Births, 1820-1907 Wisconsin Births, 1820-1907
Name: Thompson
Birth Date: 19 Jan 1876
County: Columbia
Reel: 0033
Record: 000261

Go to Top of Page

johnboyy
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  18:27:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On Andrew's WW1 draft card, he lists his birthday as February 27 1876, so I don't know whether his birthday was January or February. I don't know where in Wisconsin they were, although there was a census record in 1875 of a Tollef Thompson with a white female which I thought might be him and his wife. This was in Trempeleau County, I believe. Also, on Severt's draft card, his birthdate is June 16, 1878 and he was supposed to have been born in Minn., so they would have to have moved between those 2 years.

Thanks for everything, Johnboyy
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9227 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  22:51:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Working off your information on Trempeleau County, here is a Tollef Thompson married July 12. 1873.

http://genealogytrails.com/wis/trempealeau/marriages/marriages-t.html
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article