All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 PEDER PEDERSON AND KIRSTI ESTENSD
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cvanata
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2012 :  22:43:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH SANDRASEVERSON ALSO. I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO GET ALL CENSUS RECORDS ON THIS COUPLE STARTING IN 1875 IN THE USA. ALSO WORK WITH ANCESTRY.COM. OUR PROBLEM IS THIS. NEW TO THE DIGITAL WORLD. DO PRETTY WELL WITH PARISH RECORDS BUT NOT THE CENSUS MATERIAL. TRYING TO ANSWER QUESTIONS ABOUT NORWAY. I MIGHT HAVE FOUND KIRSTI ESTENSDATTER LEAVING THE PARISH IN 1870, PAGE 353, #15 IN THE TOLGA, HEDMARK RECORDS. TROUBLE READING THE HANDWRITING. ALSO STATES 17 1/2 YEARS OLD--SHOULD HAVE BEEN 19 YEARS BUT ALLOW FOR A YEAR OR TWO? IS THIS HER?

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2012 :  23:03:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is Kirsti Estensdatter, Sæter - 17 2/3 years old.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2012 :  23:23:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are new to this you might not yet know that typing in all CAPS is the equivalent of shouting in the "digital world". It is considered more polite and easier to read if you type in lower case and caps as appropriate.
Go to Top of Page

cvanata
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2012 :  00:01:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't it unusual for a young women to leave the parish alone to travel to America? The others around her leave on different dates?
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7766 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2012 :  00:13:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not necessarily. Most were confirmed at age 14-15 and in many families were expected to find work and take care of themselves after confirmation.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2012 :  00:39:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Her older sister Ingeborg Estensdatter Sæther (33, servant) had emigrated to America the year before, leaving Trondheim on 18 MAR 1869.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 28/08/2012 00:41:37
Go to Top of Page

cvanata
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2012 :  01:15:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you! I will look up that record
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2012 :  13:08:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan Peter gave you a working URL link to the record -- the bold underlined words of Ingeborg's name and farm of origin in his posting just above. Just click on the linked words and see the record that he located! My own computer shows a working URL link like that in blue - but that can be different on other systems.

The Digitalarkivet databases of Norwegian censuses, emigration from various ports, etc. do take a bit of practice to learn to navigate and search effectively. I found that the hints and tips at the following website helped me learn a great deal.
Tips on Using Digitalarkivet
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/DigitalArchives.html

Einar and Jan Peter also gave working URL links for several items of interest including to Kirsti and Ingeborg's family in the 1865 census in the earlier thread on these forums entitled "Satter Farm". Other links to earlier family documents including the 1801 census and several family church records were also linked in that thread.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2012 :  15:12:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cvanata

I ALSO STATES 17 1/2 YEARS OLD--SHOULD HAVE BEEN 19 YEARS BUT ALLOW FOR A YEAR OR TWO? IS THIS HER?

Kirsti was born Nov. 24. 1852 on Sæteren. She was 17 years 4 mths and 2 days old when she em. March 26. 1870.

She em. eight mths and 22 days after she was confirmed on july 4. 1869 in Vingelen old church(1653-1882), see #30

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

cvanata
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2012 :  17:34:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your information is overwhelming. Am regrouping. Found all her brothers and sister bithdates. Hard to know what to ask now until I can see what I am missing. Also received Bab records from Church in Fillmore for Kirsti's first three children. "Esten" name shows up for sponsors. I now have an alternative name to search for. I have been using the links that show in blue. I must have missed one-will go back and see. I know someone says she would have left Norway alone but there had to be someone in USA that was waiting for her and her sister and daughter the year before. Am going to search from 1865 (the census date) until 1869 which is the year her sister and her daughter left and see if other family members left before her.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2012 :  20:05:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Add. info. reg the confirmation.
Kristis grades in Christianity and diligence: "Meget god" Very good and do.......do do (abbreviation for "Ditto"means the same)
Last column; She was vaccinated against smallpox Dec. 12. 1853
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2012 :  21:22:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is wonderful to see you so enthused and making such major steps in your research!

I also briefly went to the Digitalarkivet website database for the emigrants leaving from Trondheim (1867-1930) and I narrowed the choices to persons with a last name containing the letters 'esten' and listing those persons with a previous residence which started with the letters 'Tol'. When the resulting list did NOT include Kirsti - I had to rethink. Kirsti was listed with a last name of "Sæther". ... so the search for other family members would have to be broader than I quickly thought. Keep that in mind.

On some systems the working URL links just show up in black - but usually bold faced and underlined. It doesn't take much more than a wasted click to find out which aren't. Enjoy!

I have errands to run, but I'll be back later to see what progress you've made.
Go to Top of Page

cvanata
Starting member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2012 :  22:22:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
appreciate the information on "christianity and dilligence" . Didn't know such a thing existed. Makes the search feel more human since she passed away long ago and we have no personal information on her. It is hard to know what to do next but the spokesperson at the Elstad Church in Fillmore County, Minnesota USA tells me they would love some information about this family also. The oldest member of this family buried there was born in 1794 and his name was Osten Ostensen Aas and his son was Esten Estensen which means the same thing according to her. Kirsti's family show up as sponsors when her children are bab. I think I will start with the 1794 date.
This fellow is probably the first of the family to come over.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2012 :  23:15:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Em. 1870 from Trondheim was probaly on ship Franklin, Norway or Orlando, dest Leith (Scotland) where another ship was entered for N. America.
No passengerlist in Norway exist, link

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 28/08/2012 23:57:36
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2012 :  23:40:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is Esten Estensen Aasen bap. April 20. 1794.
No. 23....Esten .............Esten Estensen Aasen.
Parents Esten Estensen and Ingeborg Estensdatter Aasen. Godparents; Anne Estensdatter Rhøe, Anne Torgersdatter "ibit" (same farm) Rhøe, Marit Rasmusdatter Vingelen, Esten Embretsen Aasen, Ole Tollefsen Rhøe, Anne Jonsen Aasen, see first bap #23

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 29/08/2012 00:05:52
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2012 :  23:52:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Name: Kirde Lather (Kirsti Estensdatter Sæther)
Date of Arrival: 01 MAY 1870
Port of Arrival: Quebec, Quebec
Ship: GERMANY

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article