All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 John Johnson (Helfstad?) & Family
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2013 :  22:48:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A railway between Detroit and Chicago was completed 1852 per this website ("Michigan Central Railroad" on Wikipedia):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_Central_Railroad

...and the following website says, "The year of 1859 was an important year for Port Huron and its environs. East of the St. Clair River, the Grand Trunk Railroad completed its 800-mile route from Portland, Maine to Sarnia, Ontario. Under the name of the Chicago, Detroit, and Canada Grand Trunk Junction Railway, a fifty-seven-mile track was completed that connected Port Huron to Detroit."

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~miporthu/PH_Railroad.htm

SOURCE of the latter: "The Story of the Grand Trunk Western," 3. This report found in the "Grand Trunk" file, Michigan Room, St. Clair County Public Library.

Go to Top of Page

DAJohnson

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2013 :  23:01:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the additional information.

<font color="violet">SEARCH</font id="violet">
Go to Top of Page

DAJohnson

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2013 :  05:59:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I was going through LDS Family Search on Pernille Olsdatter, mother of my husband's great grandmother Helena (Elene), born 24 Feb 1834, and also seeking information on Pernille's husband, Hans Christiansen, I saw several other possible siblings of Helena: among them Marthin Hansen, baptized 10 Jul 1831 in Vestre Toten Opland. I am curious as you may recall that a Martin Hansen had an adjacent burial plot next to Helena and Johan (John A. Johnson) in La Crosse Wisconsin, and that a child, Eddie Hansen was buried in the Johnson plot.
There was also a Mathias Hansen who witnessed Helena and John Johnson's (Johan Christian Jensen Skjefstadeie) marriage. Are these possible relatives of Helena...siblings? And is the same Marthin Hansen who I found in the records of passengers on the Bark Zephyl in 1853 April 3 to New York June 7? Or am I way off base on this? And if I am correct, Marthin (Martin) Hanson (Hansen) could possibly the owner of the adjacent burial plot to John and Helena? so that the child buried in their plot would have been their nephew, if this is so.

Go to Top of Page

DAJohnson

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2013 :  05:03:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would someone who can read Norwegian please help me with this search for the siblings of Helena Hansdtr (Christiansen), daughter of Pernille Olsdatter and Hans Christiansen; Helena (Elene), born 24 Feb 1834?
I can only use the LDS search and am not sure if the records of children I am finding are her siblings.
I have tried to read the documents but can't make out the writing and words. See above message. Thanks for any direction/information you can give me.

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2013 :  07:04:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene, I'm sorry this is going to sound harsh but you've posted this request twice and not gotten a response. We all like to help folks here but you don't make it easy to get the help you want.

Post a list of the names & dates you've identified from the LDS records and links to them so that any helper doesn't have to look up the same stuff that you already have. You may also want to start a new topic because an 8 page topic is a bit intimidating to take up--you know--lots of homework to get up to speed.

You've exhibited a sharp mind in your posts. I'm sure you've underestimated yourself. Practice reading in the parish registers now will help you in the long run, because in the 1600s & 1700s the parish registers are much less user friendly than the 1800s. Earn your bones by diving into them now.

Have you looked for any available Martin Hanson as a candidate for the lot owner in Wisconsin records?
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2013 :  10:37:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding birth/baptism of Helen (Elene) see my posting of 05/02/2013 : 21:05:07.
Elene was born Febr 6 1834.
Her parents Hans Christiansen and Pernille Olsdatter were married Dec 28 1821.

Elenes siblings:
Martin born March 8 1822, see #66,
Karrine born June 13 1823, see #117,
Carrine born Sept 15 1828, see #8,
Martin born May 10 1831, see #51,
Haagen born Dec 22 1836, see #56,
Andreas born Oct 8 1841, see #60.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 30/06/2013 10:59:35
Go to Top of Page

DAJohnson

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2013 :  23:01:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi J.K. Marler & Elena-You are correct, of course. And I am sorry.
1. I should have started a new forum question, but I couldn’t figure out how. Once a person is already registered on the website does the same Main Page appear as when that person – me – first registered? I’m not so sure about a “sharp mind” because I really couldn’t figure out how to start a new topic on Helena Hansdatter Christiansen. I wanted to do it when I was asking about her travel in the earlier last few entries. Then, again, I wanted to start a new inquiry on her siblings… I have forgotten how I got on the Forum with a new search question! Help!
2. You are also correct that I should have provided the LDS search information so others trying to help me would have to look again at what I already covered. It did not occur to me that would be of help, since I didn’t think LDS sources were primary sources and the records of the Lutheran Church in Norway were the primary records one would go to…(those ones I can’t read…)
3. I am not sure I will be able to really understand or be able to read the Norwegian records. That doesn’t mean I am not trying, and will not continue to try.
I don’t know Norwegian words. I assume “og” is either “of” or “and” but I don’t know or do not find many of the words legible, even with the pages at 150% larger, and then using a magnifying glass and my reading glasses. I can recognize the names, once Elena tells me where to look, though, if they are not too faded. I do not know the websites for the Norwegian information, so I have been sticking to those here in the U.S. unless provided by you all otherwise.

Thanks, Elena, for the reminder of Helena’s birth date. There is a small conflict in the information I have, though.
Her son, Anton, provided the hospital authorities at the time of her death on October 2, 1916, for her Wisconsin Death Certificate, that she was born April 15, 1832…!

Regarding the siblings you listed:
Are those all birth records? Did they really name 2 children in the family by the same name? Does that mean the first child had died and they named a latter child by the name of the one who died? I know it was sometimes done, but is this the case here, or are some of those records of baptism which was done at a later date on the same child - Martin born March 8 1822,Karrine born June 13 1823,Carrine born Sept 15 1828, Martin born May 10 1831,Haagen born Dec 22 1836, Andreas born Oct 8 1841. (That’s the problem with not being able to read the records.)

And – finally- JKMarler , regarding the land records. I have tried to get the land records for La Crosse Wisconsin from the local library. They are there and digitized, but only available to La Crosse City residents. I have two cousins living there; neither are computer savvy. I have asked them to have the librarian there help them look for Martin Hansen’s possible land ownership. I have searched the City Directories of the late 1800’s & early 1900’s and sent a message to the Oak Grove Cemetery for information on those buried in section 29, plot 888. The only one on-Iine I could find who is buried in that section with the last name of Hansen is Laura Olingdahl Hansen. I am/have been looking at census records and am about to go back on Ancestry.com to see if I can find out more.
I do thank you for all your help and suggestions, and hope I have not outworn my welcome with this “tome” and my requests. Darlene

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2013 :  00:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you reply to this post, look to the left before you click on "reply to topic". You have a choice to select "new topic" and that's where the new topics are born.
Go to Top of Page

DAJohnson

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2013 :  03:12:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aha! Thank you very much. I have searched the main page and the contact page over and over and never notices the above notations. How simple!!!

Go to Top of Page

DAJohnson

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2013 :  19:37:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I meant to thank Einar... not Elena ....

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article