All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Johan Pedersen Born April, 1836.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7766 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  12:53:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a John Petersen age 14 in the US 1850 census transcription. It appears, in the transcription at least, that he and a Eula Petersen are part of a household headed by an Osgin Thomason (although the next 2 are a Gunnell Petersen age 30 and Anne Petersen aged 10--probably useful to view the actual schedule):

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=24&filnamn=US1850&gardpostnr=129&merk=129#ovre

The actual schedule shows the Petersens as part of the Osgin or Osgir Thomason household. Although the 1860 census does not ask for a person's relationship to the head of household, for a working theory, I would interpret this arrangement as the widow Petersen with her 3 children living with Osgir and Ann Thomason with their son.

Edited by - jkmarler on 08/08/2013 13:25:11
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  17:22:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful finds. The boy with the Osgir Thomason family is an excellent fit, so far. Another good find is Jens Pedersen, the son of Peder Guldbrandsen and Anne (Barbro) Pedersdatter. The latter fits two of the three best substantiated facts:

1. born 29 April 1836 (date probably came from an obit. If so it was not stated by John himself. His birth date does not appear on the death certificate, as Tim made clear. Maybe the death certificate does not ask for a birth date? If an informant/the family can tell the newspaper the birth date, then the informant/the family can write it on a death certificate! So that's odd.)

2. named Pederson (name known from family oral tradition.) Maybe janray can clarify whether the "d" is important in the oral tradition and where "Johan" comes from.

3. born in "Karagira, Norway" (birth place stated in death certificate) This criteria is not met. We have to remember John himself did not tell us this, but rather some informant after John's death.

janray - your ancestor is now identified as the same man as shown in the online family trees, since the online trees give their John Pearson the same wife you mention and the same death date shown on your private family tree.

as posted by jkmarler, from list of Norwegians in America:
1850 in Otsego, Columbia, Wisconsin, USA
Osgin Thomasen age 43
Ann Thomasen age 42
Tolle Osginsen age 10
John Petersen age 14 <-----
Eula Petersen age 12
Gunnell Petersen age 30
Ann Petersen age 10
all born in Norway

Edited by - JaneC on 08/08/2013 17:27:34
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  17:53:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JaneC

3. born in "Karagira, Norway" (birth place stated in death certificate) This criteria is not met. We have to remember John himself did not tell us this, but rather some informant after John's death.

I am 99,9% sure that it means Kragerĝ, a coastel town in Telemark county.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  18:10:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So what's your thought about Jens Pedersen born 29 April 1836 on Gran, Hadeland, Oppland? Could John Pearson in Australia have lived there instead of having been born there? Or maybe he's had mail from there, from a family member, and the informant on his death certificate infers this is "where John came from"? Or...? (Easy to make up stories, hard to know the truth, lol)

Edited by - JaneC on 08/08/2013 18:17:27
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7766 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  18:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karagira could also be a rendition of a farm name as well as a parish, not just a town.
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  21:11:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karagira is Americanized.
After looking threw the records for Kragerĝ and the surrounding municipalities Bamble, Drangedal, Risĝr and Gjerstad, no Johan, John, Jens Pedersen found.

Jens Pedersen born April 29. 1836 in Gran parish on Hadeland still lived there when he was confirmated 1852.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 08/08/2013 21:12:16
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  21:42:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another option not have been tried.
Johan born April 29. 1836.
Father not with first name Peder but lastname Pedersen.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  22:01:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good idea. On Ancestry.com I searched specifically in US military records databases for John but did not find him. I don't think "Karagira" is Americanized. Kragerĝ would be Anglicized to Kragero. Place names often get mangled, so who knows.

Edited by - JaneC on 08/08/2013 22:17:47
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  23:31:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A name can cause confusion and misunderstandings when the alphabet is pronounced differently.

As in this case;
Many years ago Chinaman in New York was named Ole Olsen. "How did you get that name" many asked.
"Well, we lined up and the man ahead of me gave his name as Ole Olsen.
When it was my turn I said my name was Sam Ting"

Has anyone looked into the Oslo records since Oslo was mentioned?

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7766 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 :  00:07:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I checked the fourth and fifth volumes of Norwegian Immigrants and there were several 20-25 folks in each who left from Kragerĝ and a number of the ships went from Kragerĝ as well. Unfortunately I left my notes behind and until I can get back to the library my memory is the best I have to offer. There was a Johan Petterson b. 1831 who left from Kragerĝ but I'm not sure which volume it was in and there was no more biographical info on him.

I think checking for father's patronymic as Pederson is a good idea which I will take up in Volume II again, along with a looser time frame of birth year.
Go to Top of Page

janray
Starting member

Australia
11 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 :  02:42:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm overwhelmed by the effort you ladies and gentlemen have put into this research.

Thank you so much for trying to find John Pearson's parents or a link to someone. I will say John Pearson as this is the only definite we have here in Australia according to the Blue Mountains Heritage Register.

Also had a few chuckles at the comments on how easy it is to have confusion and alterations in names or even comments, especially when there are different languages involved (or also in the same language).

I found a copy of an obituary in the Blue Mountains newspaper written in 1913 with details of the funeral and his life from 1863 to 1913 at Lawson but this didn't help with his past family info.

On my Great Grandmother's birth certificate copy, it shows, "baby daughter born March, 1887", Father, John Pearson, age 51, Born Norway, married to Martha (Alderman) in 1863 - still no link though to parents.

Thank you again to all.

j. murray
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 :  02:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fun to hear from you!

A few questions that only you can answer have been raised. If you don't mind, would you please reread this thread, take a look at the questions that came up previously, and have a go at commenting? Thanks.

Is the Blue Mountains Heritage Register the same as the Blue Mountains Pioneer Register mentioned earlier? What kind of publication is it? (or what kind of publication is each)

What I'm trying to figure out is: What is the source of the birth date 29 April 1836? You earlier said the date came from the "Blue Mountains Pioneer Register." Is this a newspaper that published an obituary in 1913 when John died? Or is it a Historical Society book or database that published the date years later? If the latter, where did the Historical Society get that date? I'm asking what is the ORIGINAL source for the birth date.

This was one of the questions raised earlier. I guessed the Register was a newspaper that published an obit in 1913. Now that there's a name change I think it's a book published years later. So, although you've tried to answer this question, I am still corn-foosed. :D

Thanks!

Edited by - JaneC on 09/08/2013 14:24:59
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7766 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 :  03:06:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What was John Pearson's occupation in Australia?
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 :  13:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"En god latter forlenger livet"
A good laugh prolings life Jane.

Jan.
Have you tried to search for Johan her

I believe his name in Norway also was Johan. Lastname could be Petersen or Pedersen.
And he em. with an aunt to USA after both parents died.
Many records or censuses to search.

Johan Pedersen Birthplace Norway 1836 or;
Johan Birthplace Norway 1836 fathers last name Pedersen/Petersen.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 09/08/2013 15:12:09
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7766 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 :  21:40:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some study of the names of the 1850 family might be useful. Osgir or Osgin for instance, what name would that be in Norwegian records?

I thought Ansgar, or Oscar / Oskar or Asser. Asgjer mostly appears to be a female name. In the 1865 census the oldest person with this type name (other than Oscar --too many of them) was a man named Asger Steenson abt about 65 years living in Saude (now Sauherad) born in Saude. Another variation was Asgondson with 2 people in Evje and Asgjeld aged 50 on Sĝgne. Mostly these names are situated around the southern point of Norway.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article