All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 emil konstatin olsen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2015 :  02:49:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably the parents of Anne Regine Marcusdatter in the 1900 Norwegian Census.

http://gda.arkivverket.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=7&filnamn=f00712&gardpostnr=536&personpostnr=4225&merk=4225

Edited by - AntonH on 01/03/2015 02:50:02
Go to Top of Page

lolamoore
Starting member

Canada
17 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2015 :  19:36:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone.
Is their anywhere i can get this information in English.
My grandfather was Emil Konstantin Olsen born Feb 4 1893
baptisted in Staven Veslfold April 3 1893
Father oluf olsen born 1893
mother Anne Regine Marcusdatter
born in 1851
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2015 :  20:40:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this what you want?
Name: Emil Konstantin Olsen
Birth Date: 04 Feb 1893
Christening Date: 03 Apr 1893
Christening Place: Stavern, Vestfold, Strømsgodset, Buskerud, Norway
Father's Name: Oluf Olsen
Father's Age: 1849
Mother's Name: Anne Regine Marcusdatter
Mother's Age: 1851

Parish records are only in Norwegian.
See #5.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 03/03/2015 20:48:14
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2015 :  22:50:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Here is the family in 1900, looks like Emil is the youngest of the siblings also says he's born in Skoger, so more research should be done to clarify:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/ft/person/pf01037136000670
Oluf Olsen 1850 N. Eker Hf g Sliber ved sagbrug, jordbrugsarbeide b
Regine Olsen f. Kopangen 1852 Skoger herred* Hm g b
Reinert Olsen 1878 Drammen S ug Guldlistarbeider b
Harriet Olsen 1882 Skoger herred* D ug Ved broderiforretning i Drammen b
Vilhelm Olsen 1885 Skoger herred* S ug Arb. ved Armaturfabrik b
Agnes Olsen 1890 Skoger herred* D ug b
Konstantin Olsen 1893 Skoger herred* S ug

Would it help to go over a census record together?
Some abbreviations:
S is son, d is daughter
G is gift (means married), ug is ugift (unmarried)
Hf is huusfader, male head of household
Hm is huusmoder, female head of household
b at the end of each line means the person is in residence (not away)

1900 Skoger Herred
Oluf Olsen born 1850 in N Eker, Head, married, occupation Sliber ved sagbrug, jordbrugsarbeide
Regine Olsen, born Kopangen (means her maiden name is Kopangen), born 1852 in Skoger, Head, married
etc
Each person's name, birth year and birth place, and occupation are noted.

Ask specifically about job titles if interested.

Gramtrans online and Google translate can help also.

Edited by - JaneC on 10/03/2015 21:42:44
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2015 :  08:37:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
1900 Skoger Herred
Oluf Olsen born 1850 in N Eker, Head, married, occupation Sliber ved sagbrug, jordbrugsarbeide
Regine Olsen, born Kopangen (means her maiden name is Kopangen), born 1852 in Skoger, Head, married
etc

Baptismal records for both given earlier.
Olufs occupation: sander at a sawmill and farmer.
Anne Regine: born at Svarterud, Jarlsbergværk. (Jarlsbergværk was a lead and silver mine in Konnerud, an area close to the city of Drammen)

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 04/03/2015 11:41:29
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2015 :  08:51:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anne Regines parents, Marcus Olsen and Marte Christophersdatter, were married Sept 15 1850, #14.

Marcus was born in Lier and his father was Ole Hansen.
Marte was born in Eker and her father was Christopher Andersen.

Markus was born Sept 19 1823, his parents were Ole Hansen and Anne Markusdatter, Viger-Eie, #67.

Marte was born Febr 8 1826, her parents were Christopher Andersen and Siri Larsdatter, Nebberg, #30.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 04/03/2015 09:29:28
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2015 :  13:45:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oluf Olsens parents, Ole Olsen and Maren Malene Lorentsdatter, were married Febr 25 1836, see #18.

Ole Olsen was from Horns-Eie and his father was Ole Olsen.

Maren Malene Sørensdatter was from Steinar-Eie and her father was Søren Jensen.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 04/03/2015 14:43:08
Go to Top of Page

lolamoore
Starting member

Canada
17 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2015 :  16:30:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for finding all this out for me. i am now stuck. My mom thought my Grandfather Emil Olsen only had one brother. i don't know where to go with this. I have sent a letter to my moms cousin in Norway but no response. not sure how to get clarification on if this is the right family. I think it is but not possitive.. Can i find someone who is still living in Norway that might understand english? Any ideas. Anything would help.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2015 :  16:47:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Family stories usually have a kernel of truth at the core, which is sometimes big and sometimes small. Konstantin is a very rare name in Norway, couple that with your known location of Drammen (which is near Skoger) it would be exceedingly unlikely to find another in Norway who could be your man. Families over here don't always know or have met or even heard of family over there. Who told your mother about the one brother, her father or someone else? Perhaps your grandfather only talked about one brother, without mentioning all the other family members?
Go to Top of Page

lolamoore
Starting member

Canada
17 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2015 :  20:20:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just wondering is skoger like a small community and drammen is the city? Also what does it mean when it says Skoger herred* sug 1893? Also in some of the docement it has different birth dates for my Great grandpa and grandma is this just a type o? on my grandfathers birth certificate it says Staven and its crossed out and Stronsgodset buskerud is in its place so is this where grandpa was born? Can anyone clarify. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2015 :  21:50:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll let one of the Norwegians speak about the geography of the places. All I know is what I've read that Skoger is on the border between two fylke Buskerud and Vestfold. Drammen is a substantial city, don't know about what Skoger is designated as.

Re the dates of birth, they all appear the same to me 4 Feb. The strictly numeric dates are often written European-style day, month, year; is that what you mean (4 Feb or 2 April) ?

The first post which gave a birth / baptism place for Emil was a link to an indexed product by familysearch. Emil was found to have not been born nor baptized in Staven, nor in Skoger's church but in a parish called Strømsgodset (sp.). This means the index is in error or is at best misleading. Always get the to the actual original record (in this case the handwritten parish register, if at all possible. Every time a human handles something there is a possibility for error creeping in.

You can also check facts yourself. Have you a record of your Emil's birthdate? I asked for that at the beginning of the topic but you didn't reply.

Edited by - jkmarler on 10/03/2015 23:57:19
Go to Top of Page

lolamoore
Starting member

Canada
17 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2015 :  18:51:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again for all your help. But what does Herred * sug mean? So where was my grandfather born? The records are so hard to read even if i in large them. I wrote that my mother has only what is written in her bible that my grandfather was born 1893 feb 4 drammen. But she wrote that when she was very young. so again i am not sure about this date. Is their anyway i can find out if any of my family is still living in Norway and then how do i find out an address maybe i could contact them and they would know some of the answers to my question. In Norway are they taught English? As it seams like everywhere i turn everything is written in Norweigan. i don't understand any as you can see by my questions.
Thanks again
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2015 :  19:52:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi lolamoore, You asked "what does it mean when it says Skoger herred* sug 1893?"

I think "it" is the 1900 census. Emil Konstantin is shown this way:

Konstantin Olsen 1893 Skoger herred* S ug

This means Konstantin Olsen was born in 1893 in Skoger herred, he is a son (S) in the family and he is unmarried (ug = ugift = unmarried).

Above, earlier, I gave you a list of abbreviations and words that appear in census records (including "S" and "ug") to help you understand most of what the records say that you are seeing.

Below is a link to a page that explains what a herred is. I recommend you not get too hung up on understanding exactly what a herred is: Link

Here's a page that will give you a good start on understanding a bit more about Norwegian genealogy:
Link

Here's a map showing Strømsgodset (with a red pin) and the city of Drammen (a second red pin): Link

Here is a photo of Strømsgodset kirke (Strømsgodset church). This is where Emil Konstantin Olsen was baptized. Link

Why does the census say your grandfather was born in Skoger, when he was born in Strømsgodset? That is not clear. Skoger and Strømsgodset are near each other. No boy named Emil Konstantin was born in Skoger; if such a birth happened, it would be recorded in the church book. Maybe someone here knows whether Skoger and Strømsgodset were combined at one time. In any case, the census doesn't have the last word on where your grandfather was born. Only the birth record itself can tell for sure where a person was born.

A parish would have a number of farms, maybe villages, and other places within it. The place in Strømsgodset where Emil Konstantin Olsen was born in 1893 was Gulskoger in Strømsgodset. In the 1900 census he and his family are living at a new address, at Brandteløkken.

Edited by - JaneC on 12/03/2015 04:19:06
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2015 :  20:08:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Herred is an old word for community.
Your grandfather was baptized Emil Konstantin in Strømsgodset church April 3 1893. He was born where his parents was living Febr 4 1893, the name given in the parish record is Gulskogen.
The places are shown with markers on an up-to date map. The places belong today to the city of Drammen, link.
Zoom and plan to your liking to find where Drammen is.
Another show of Strømsgodset church taken from the map.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 11/03/2015 20:17:09
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2015 :  20:33:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lolamoore

I wrote that my mother has only what is written in her bible that my grandfather was born 1893 feb 4 drammen. But she wrote that when she was very young. so again i am not sure about this date.

Yes, before coming to Norway Heritage forum, you weren't entirely sure about the birth date 04 February 1893 in Drammen. But now you can be sure - because a little baby boy named Emil Konstantin Olsen WAS born on 04 February 1893 in Drammen (more of less born in Drammen, because the city grew and then Konstantiin's birth place was within Drammen). So hurrah - you found your grandfather's birth record. There is no doubt of it!!

The little boy born that day grew up and emigrated to Canada. The record of him leaving Norway in 1912 has been found. "Emil Konstantin Ols" is short for Emil Konstantin Olsen. Link

These records and others posted meet the criteria in genealogy for a certain identification of your grandfather.

Earlier we could not be as certain of identifying your grandfather in Norway, because we did not have enough information from you. Now that you tell us your mother wrote that date - 04 February 1893 - in her Bible, this is what makes the identification possible.

Delightful!

You also ask, "In Norway are they taught English?" Many, maybe most, of the contributors in this forum are Norwegians living in Norway. Most kindly and generously they speak to us North Americans in English. To the left you'll find each contributor's username, and under that, is his/her country.

As for you finding living descendants of Emil's parents, that calls for more research (and can be attempted). The search will involve not only Norway but also the America, where two of Emil's siblings went.

It sounds as if your mom was unaware of her dad's siblings. That's a little unsettling, but at the same time it's not uncommon.

Edited by - JaneC on 12/03/2015 04:26:39
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article