All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 What happened to Anna Jørgine b. 1875?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2015 :  12:26:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again Vivi, consider that no evidence exists that something criminal happened to Jørgine. The family's "certainty" cannot serve as evidence about Jørgine's fate; they also are saying they don't know what happened. More precisely, they are suspicious, not certain.

A murder is the only crime that could permanently silence her. Yes, that could have happened. Although that crime is likely to be reported in the newspaper, she could be an unidentified victim. However, illness and accident are far more common causes of death, and there's no reason to rule them out. The family's concern about a wicked man is understandable, given Jørgine's disappearance, but he simply may not have written to them for whatever reason (or wrote but the letter did not reach them). Jørgine's family relationships and character that you've discussed are highly relevant. From that description, yes, certainly suggests something happened to her.

When an unmarried woman traveling in 1900 reached USA shores, she had to demonstrate to immigration authorities that she was provided for. A woman with no husband and currently not employed was deemed likely to become dependent on American charity and was denied entrance. The solution was for a male relative to come and claim responsibility for her. I don't know how to find a record of who picked her up (because likely someone did), or if such records have been preserved, but that question could be researched.

The rumors about Jørgine's fate included rumors of the white slave trade, which did not exist (at least I recall no mention of it in any of my reading in turn-of-the-last-century social history, and so far no one has brought forward any reference to such a thing). That's a clear example of the way we imagine all sorts of things, when we're in the dark and afraid.

Jumping prematurely to a conclusion can or might hurt the search. For example, let's say Jørgine died en route, at sea. Sometimes shipboard deaths are recorded somewhere in the manifest. That could be checked - but not if we're only seeking a crime in the U.S.

In short, keep an open mind. You don't know until you know.

Edited by - JaneC on 26/08/2015 13:22:04
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2015 :  13:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, if something criminal happened to Jorgine, it doesn't appear to have resulted in murder. But other criminal events could include fraud--promises made and not kept, deception of all sorts. Maybe it was as simple as she and Haakon met each other and had a mutual bleh moment.
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2015 :  13:38:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They part, she dies suddenly of natural causes, no one who knows her is aware, family in Norway never hears. Just one possible scenario.

Remember the case of Jenny who married Peter Johnson and lived in Chicago? About 1886 she went missing (whereabouts unknown to family in Norway). In 1900 Peter murdered his 5-year-old son from a later marriage. I admit I suspected him in Jenny's disappearance...

Edited by - JaneC on 26/08/2015 13:54:21
Go to Top of Page

vivi

Norway
371 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2015 :  14:42:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

I'm not a part of Jørgine's family. I'm only trying to help someone who is.
I'm trying to keep an open eye for every possibilities, but some seems more likely than others, at least in my mind.

According to his obituary, her father had many sad moments thinking about what might or might not have happened to his daughter Jørgine. She had uncles and aunts, brother and sister living in US or comming to US later - I would think they also looked for her as best they could with no result. My thought is that IF they found out, they would have told their brother/father no matter what - knowing how much it tormented him not to know.

A lot of bad things could have happend to her, but for some reason the family mention a wicked man. This leads me to the thought that they also had met him and disliked him a lot.
The fact that this "Hakon Weng" is so difficult to find both in Norway and New York strengthens this thought. If he just "lent" her his name as a key for Jørgine to enter US, he should be easy to find in the 1900 census held two/three monts earlier or on ships entering US?

Jørgine's father was 61 years old in 1900. He was a widower and several of his children had moved relativly far away from him (US and Oslo). I would think it would thake a lot for Jørgine not to write to him "as soon as" she arrived and settled in New York. But what?
I have browsed and read the papers I mentioned looking for accidents, deaths, unknown woman etc and not found anything I could connect to Jørgine. It is very possible that if she died for whatever reason, this Hakon didn't write to her parents or his letter was lost on it's way to Norway. But should not her death have been found registered somewhere?

It does sound weird if he planned to lure her to US in order to "sell her" to whatever. But he might have been a "bad paper" and ended up doing a crime to her without having that intention from the start. (Something like Jenny and Peter as JaneC mention)
Jørgine's family was poor cotters/farmers so no money to extort from them - as far as I know.

This seems to stay an unsolved family-mystery.

Vivi
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2015 :  15:51:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have any of the numerous descendants of Jorgine's relatives in US been contacted? Perhaps her story is preserved in them?
Go to Top of Page

vivi

Norway
371 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2015 :  16:06:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

As far as I understand it no-one in Jørgine's family ever heard from her again or about her, including those in US.
By 1900 there was possibilities to phone if she needed help or just wantet to say she arrived safely.
So her disappearance is mysterious.

Vivi
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2015 :  17:26:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's too bad not to find her, for the sake of the family you're helping. About a death being registered - sometimes we don't find a death online, even though it was registered. Also, the U.S. had no law stating a death must be registered, and some deaths were not registered.

Edited by - JaneC on 26/08/2015 20:24:42
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2015 :  01:38:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only Hakon in New York City, in the 1900 US Census was this one. I think that his name is most likely Hakon Ericksen and not spelled as the transcriber as it listed. He lived at 344 Pleasant Avenue. That is not the address of 133rd Avenue listed in Jorgines manifest but it is in Manhatten and not a great distance from 133rd Street. His address on Pleasant Avenue is midway between 118th Street and 119th Street. He is living with his youg son Hjalmar. Being a widower with a small child it might logical that he would seek a partner.

Name: Hakau Erekson
[Nakan Erekson]
Birth Date: Nov 1863
Birthplace: Norway
Home in 1900: Manhattan, New York, New York
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1885
Relation to Head of House: Boarder
Marital Status: Widowed
Father's Birthplace: Norway
Mother's Birthplace: Norway

Edited by - AntonH on 27/08/2015 01:41:05
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2015 :  01:46:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting there were four Hakon Ericksen in the 1875 Census born 1864 or 1865.

One is Asker, Løkken
One in Næs Ginden
One in Christiania: Grønlandsleret
And Hakon Emil born in Christiania: Galgebjerggaden, who we have discussed quite a bit above.

Hakon Emil in the 1885 Norwegian Census.

http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/ft/person/pf01053257047558

Edited by - AntonH on 27/08/2015 16:55:16
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2015 :  01:46:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those were my thoughts about Haakon Erickson as well, Anton. If Jørgine's Haakon can be correctly identified, his situation in life may color speculation about Jørgine.

Edited by - JaneC on 27/08/2015 01:52:40
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2015 :  03:26:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Jørgine left Eiker sometime in 1900 as Jackie found and left Norway in August of 1900, how did she meet a man named Hakon?

Not many Hakon in 1865 Buskerud Census. Here is the only onel

Hakon Lauritsen Øein

http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1865&knr=0624&kenr=012&bnr=0100&lnr=000

Name: Hakon Lauritsen
Birth Date: 11 feb 1861
Baptism Date: 20 mai 1861 (20 May 1861)
Baptism Place: Eiker, Buskerud, Norway
Father: Laurits Osen
Mother: Thale Auensdr

See 150

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1079&idx_id=1079&uid=ny&idx_side=-37

Edited by - AntonH on 27/08/2015 03:39:17
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2015 :  04:37:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the passenger manifest Jørgine's last residence is listed as Christiania.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2015 :  06:34:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The date of Jorgine's departure from Eiker is listed as 16 July 1900 and her destination is given as America, so Christiania was going to only be a temporary stay.
Go to Top of Page

vivi

Norway
371 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2015 :  13:46:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

If it is correct that Jørgine knew Hakon before she left, it is important to find out where she lived. She is not with her father in the 1891 census from Eiker,
The 1891 census from Oslo is not yet published, but she probably lived there.
Her sister Nicoline baptizes an illegitimate child in april 1893. Among the godparents there is a "sypige" Jørgine Andersdatter. This is most likely "our" Jørgine.
No 105 bottom half:
Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=7196&idx_id=7196&uid=ny&idx_side=-301
Permanent bildelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20061002030498.jpg

According to the ships manifest her last residence in Norway was Christiania. She was "signed out" of her home-parish in june 1900 just before she left, but she might just have been home to get her certificates (- and say goodbye perhaps).
In the parish register it does say she is "ubundet" meaning she is not married and - the way I understand it - not engaged. Did she wish to keep her engagement a secret or was she engaged later?

Vivi
Go to Top of Page

vivi

Norway
371 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2015 :  14:24:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

The same sister Nicoline baptizes a son Gustav in Østre Bærum february 1900.
One of the godparents are "pige" Anna Strand, Kristiania. Probably Jørgine.
No 2:
Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=481&idx_id=481&uid=ny&idx_side=-20
Permanent bildelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20060313030065.jpg

Nicoline lives at "Snarø brug" a large saw-mill with up to 240 workers; many, like Nicoline's husband, from sweden. Jørgine might also have met her Hakon there.
(For those who read norwegian: http://bibliotek.baerum.kommune.no/lokalhistorie/Industri-og-naring/Sagbruk/Snaroen-Brug/ )

Vivi

Edited by - vivi on 27/08/2015 14:38:18
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article