All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Johanne Jensdatter Bidslereie (1852)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  18:12:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Jackie found in the probate for Jens Hansen, who died 1883, he was survived by "wife Anne Ingelsdtr and 4 adult children." The forum hasn't accomplished all the research needed to know who were the 4, but posted are unverified hints that Birthe Marie, Hermann, and Johan Gustav survived past 1883. Herman was probably spotted in a 1900 census. The other hints are only hearsay; they are not substantiated in this thread.

Cheryl, a search engine is the unseen digital tool that allows us to do a digital search. We go to a website, choose the search option, and type in our search term. When we click "Search" we are activating the search engine. It chugs along the track, so to speak, taking us where we want to go (to the desired search results).

The reference to a search engine just meant, "When searching on Ancestry.com, the following results were obtained."

Edited by - JaneC on 06/10/2015 19:07:25
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  18:25:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it might be coincidental that Lina left at the same time as the Melbys, (perhaps on the same ship?) and ended up in the same place as the Melbys and that the Melbys donated their name to her but.....

Most public libraries in U.S. carry the library edition of Ancestry and so the databases of information should be available to you. If you input ancestry.com sometimes they will offer a 2 week free subscription. The ELCA databases are also available at archives.com another subscription site which offers a week's free subscription also.
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  19:17:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheryl, who was the son born out of wedlock to Johanne Eriksdatter b 1828? Is Johanne any relation to Erik Christoffersen?

Edited by - JaneC on 06/10/2015 19:18:48
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  19:29:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is an estate of a possible Johanne Jensdatter #310, not promising though, father's name is correct but no Lina is mentioned:

Kildeinformasjon: Oslo fylke, Oslo skifterett, Dødsfallsprotokoll A 11 , 1880-1882, oppb: Statsarkivet i Oslo.

Permanent sidelenke: http://arkivverket.no/URN:sk_read/25426/36/
Go to Top of Page

cherylvanata
Starting member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  19:35:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I may have solved the mystery of where Lena Melby came from. If her Mother died in Norway and the unmarried Uncles brought her to America, she would have to live with someone. A Lena Melby (no birth record in Becker County/Lake Park) is listed for Edward Melby (1851-1912) Married Marie (1853-1937) in 1878, Emg. 1882, four years after their marriage in Norway. When Marie died she was survived by six children and a Lina Melby is listed. She was just a child so she would have taken their last name. This information came from a "Down Memory Lake" in a Lake Park Newspaper. Handwritten by a local women and donated to Museum. Unfortunately there is no other information on Lena but I might be able to make the connection as to how they are related to each other. I can't think one would just drop off a child to strangers. Your information is opening up several doors on this family. Can't Thank you enough.
Go to Top of Page

cherylvanata
Starting member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  19:47:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Johanne Ericksdatter Melby was one of six children and Erick and Johanne were the only children to survive to adulthood. Johanne Ericksdatter had a daughter out of wedlock named Anna Marie Oldsdatter Melby (1845-1921) Born Nannestad on the Langerud-Hougan Farm. Confirmed in Nannestad. Gulbrand, Johanne and Anna Marie are all working as servents on the Hombledalen Farm in 1865. Gulbrand and Johanne mary 12 Oct 1866 in Nannestad. They emigrate on 19 May 1881 leaving from Kristiania. First record of them in Cuba, Becker, MN is 1900 Census. Gulbrand Larson (1830-1909) and Johanne had a son born (1867-1935) named Gustav Edvard.
Go to Top of Page

cherylvanata
Starting member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  20:11:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Johanne Eriksdatter daughter Anna Marie married Olaus Jensen Dolen and they had a son named John Alfred Dolen who married "Lena Melby" I have a lot of information on the Dolens. It never occurred to me that Erik Christoffersen might be related other than to the birth of Lena. I might find that all this new information will clear up more things than I thought. I love that estate information. That is one thing I need to check into in the future. I do pretty well in the regular parish records but sure need to branch out more.
Go to Top of Page

cherylvanata
Starting member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  20:22:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am on Ancestry.com. My tree has over 4,000 people but I have been limited by what I can find on people because I haven't been adventurous enough to branch out. The Emigranter information was especially helpful because you gave me the answers so when I tried to duplicate these records it was easier to learn. Before I only had some chance of coming up with a record. I am also going to try and duplicate the Probate records now that I have the answers. I have relied heavily on the Digital Arkives parish records, 1865 Census and FamilySearch. Your help has actually opened up some other avenues. I have a feeling this Melby-Dolen relationship goes around and around. They are probably all related.
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  20:34:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good points Cheryl.

Johanne Eriksdatter on an online tree:
Father: Erik Kristoffersen, Langerudshaugen (i Nannestad) f 1781
Mother: Ragnhild Olsdatter, Melbystua Faerstad f 1791
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=bjerkek&id=I20082

Kristoffer Eriksen, Langerudshaugen, f 1829
Same parents. Says he migrated to Ullensaker ca 1872 or a bit later
Has a son Erik Kristoffersen f 1857
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=bjerkek&id=I20084

If this is accurate, and if this son Erik moves with his father or visits the family in Ullensaker, it puts this Erik Kristoffersen in the path of Johanne Jensdatter in Ullensaker census 1875. According to the tree, this Erik has a sister Lina.

A girl meeting the description of Johanne Jensdatter's child Lina b 1877 mysteriously emigrates (or seemingly travels with) this Erik's aunt, to Lake Park, Minnesota, in 1881.

Edited by - JaneC on 06/10/2015 20:56:43
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  21:03:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gulbrand & Johanne Melby in Becker county in 1895:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQD8-VTK
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  21:29:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christoffer Eriksen in Nannestad in 1865:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/ft/person/pf01038025004400

Some Erik Kristoffersen/Christoffersen census records;
he's in Sundby, Ullensaker 1875:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/sok/person?s=erik+nannestad+1857

Johanne Jensdatter b 1851 Nannestad, in Sundby, Ullensaker 1875:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/ft/person/pf01052050006995

Edited by - JaneC on 06/10/2015 22:26:44
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  23:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Johanne born 25 February 1852 in Nannestad, Akershus
Parents Jens Hansen and Anne Ingelsdtr
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20060307030503.jpg
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  23:51:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is how to search the 1875 Norwegian Census on Ancestry.com

On the main Ancestry.com page click on SEARCH, on the drop down menu click on All Collections.

On that page, scroll down to Explore by Location and click on Europe. Click on Norway.

Under Data Collections, Look at the entry under Norway Census and Voter Lists. Clidk on Norway Select Census, 1875, (in Norwegian)

In the Search Box, click on Match all terms exactly, I used First Name, Anna and Last Name Ingel* as a way to limit the number of hits. Click on Search.

You get only one record, that for Anna Ingelsdatter. Click on View Record and you will see the Record I ;posted on Page One of this topic

Use the procedure for any of the other family members that you would like to find in the 1875 Norwegian Census.

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2015 :  23:59:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the arrival of Herman Jensen and child Lina Jensen age 3 1/2.

Hermann Jensen
in the Pennsylvania, Passenger and Crew Lists, 1800-1962
Name: Hermann Jensen
Birth Date: abt 1848
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Arrival Date: 11 Jun 1881
Port of Arrival: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Age on Arrival: 33
Ship: Indiana

Name: Lina Jensen
Birth Date: abt 1878
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Arrival Date: 11 Jun 1881
Port of Arrival: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Age on Arrival: 3
Ship: Indiana
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2015 :  00:07:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably the Lina Jenson as 7 year old Lina Larson in the household of Gulbrand and Johannah Larson in Becker county in 1885:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQF8-YFG
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article