All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Info for those returning to Norway 1900-1910
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marlys Nelson
Medium member

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2015 :  00:39:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am trying to find info on grandfather who immigrated to US in 1887 and returned to Norway ca. 1905. He again returned to the US in 1909 and then returned to Norway ca. 1909. Finally, he immigrated to Canada in 1911. I have documentation on his trips to the US and Canada but can not find anything on on his trips to Norway.
He was living in South Dakota during this time period so I assume he probably would leave from Chicago if possible.
Thanks for any help on where to look.
Gene Nelson

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2015 :  00:59:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Gene,

It's unlikely that there will passenger list records of the landing in Norway. At least I've never seen any.

There is additional information asked of repatriated Norwegians in the 1910 Norway census if he stayed that long.

You might find outgoing records in Great Britain in certain Ancestry databases since the return voyages had a similar itinerary as the voyages to US--connector voyage from Norway to Great Britain port and then trans Atlantic from Great Britain to US or Canada only in reverse.

Likewise, if he landed in US on return to US, there might have been questions asked who knew you in the country you just came from including a name and address. At least you would have a bit more certainty who he visited while in Norway, if the questions were asked and answered.

If he intended to stay in Norway for good, he may have registered with his local church / pastor on his return.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2015 :  06:03:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ancestry.com does have a data base for those passengers arriving in the UK. The list is far from complete, however and you may or may not find what you are looking for.

UK, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
This database is an index to the Board of Trade’s passenger lists of ships arriving in the United Kingdom from foreign ports outside of Europe and the Mediterranean. Exceptions to this are vessels that originated outside of these areas but then picked up passengers in European or Mediterranean ports en route. The UK port of arrival was not necessarily the final destination of the ship. In addition, the names found in the index are linked to actual images of the passenger lists, copied from The National Archives (TNA) collection series BT26.
The passenger lists date from 1878 to 1888 and 1890 to 1960. However, many of the pre-1890 lists were irregularly destroyed by the Board of Trade in 1900. Therefore, there are not many lists included in this database that date from these earlier years.
Go to Top of Page

Marlys Nelson
Medium member

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2015 :  06:16:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to jkmarler and lyndal40. I had looked at the church records in Norway and found nothing. Did a quick search of the English immigration records for Liverpool and South Hampton but could not find anything.

My grandfather did a lot of traveling.
*Married in Skatval Norway in 1883. Had two children then he immigrated to the US in 1887 leaving his wife and the two children in Norway.
*Sent for his wife in 1888 leaving his two children in Norway.
*Sent for his two children in 1891 who came with his wife's sister.
*Had 6 more children in Pope County MN and Roberts County SD with his wife dying during the last birth in 1901.

Then his younger brother who had stayed behind on the farm in Norway died in 1905 leaving a wife and two children.

*My grandfather then traveled back to Norway with his two younger sons in ca. 1906-1907, and married his brother's wife in Sep 1908.
*Then in 1909 he traveled back to SD and sold his farm and traveled back to Norway.
*He and his new wife had child in Jun 1909.
*He, his wife and five children then immigrated to Canada in 1911.

I have all the records for the western travels but can find nothing of their eastern travels. Just have to keep searching.
Thanks again, Gene Nelson
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2015 :  15:04:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What was his name?

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2015 :  16:55:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point Kċre. Gene, I would be glad to search the Ancestry.com data base "UK, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960" for your grandfather but I do need a name and a birth year would also help a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Marlys Nelson
Medium member

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2015 :  17:12:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My grandfather's name was Hans Nekolia Johansen (Johnson) born 14 Mar 1862 on Bolkhaugen in Skatval. Immigrated to Chicago in 1887.
On his first trip back to Norway in the ca. 1906-1908 time frame he had his two sons with him- Albert Gerhard Johnson born 11 Feb 1897 and Paul Nelvin Johnson born 29 May 1899.
On his second trip back to Norway in ca. 1909 he was by himself.
Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Gene Nelson
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2015 :  20:38:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Basically "Neither U.S. A. nor Canada maintained outbound ships passenger lists."

There were few exceptions to that.

http://www.olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/outbound/

Perhaps a local newspaper where he lived in the US made note of his trip(s).
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2015 :  20:46:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here he is on Bolkhaug with his family 1910

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2015 :  20:54:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leaving Norway 1911, dep. port Trondheim on ship Aaro

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 13/11/2015 20:55:12
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2015 :  16:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Gene, no sign of them in the Ancestry.com data base "UK, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article