All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Birth and Christening
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jenseverson
Starting member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2016 :  00:45:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Need to locate the Birth and Christening records for:

Anne Gulbrandson or Gulbrandsondaughter-
Born 29-12-1852
Haugan in Oystre, Slidre. Oppland.

Jon (John) Syversen or Syvertsen
Born 04-10-1847
Naseie, Adal, Buskerud

Any help is so very much appreciated,
Jenseverson

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2016 :  01:11:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The clerical districts for those two would be
Østre Slidre, Oppland
and
Ådal, Buskerud

The birth records should be available online at the Digitalarkivet website.

Go to Top of Page

jenseverson
Starting member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2016 :  01:19:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No sure how to log onto Digitalarkivet Website.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2016 :  01:24:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Østre Slidre, Oppland - often spelled as Øystre Slidre, Oppland

The birth/baptism records of 1853 for that district show a female child born 29 Dec 1852 - baptised 16 Jan 1853 - but not born on a farm called Haugan. Perhaps she moved to that farm later in her life.
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=8996&idx_id=8996&uid=ny&idx_side=-17

Yes, by the 1865 census her family lived on Haugen in Øystre Slidre.
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1865&knr=0544&kenr=005&bnr=0048&lnr=000

Edited by - Hopkins on 29/02/2016 01:34:43
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2016 :  01:38:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to help you learn. I wrote the following some time ago so use the NEW link for the Digitialarkivet website now.

The Digitalarkivet website has been adding scanned images of the original Norwegian parish church records for anyone with Internet access since November 2005.

(The older Digitalarkivet website - http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe?slag=vis&tekst=meldingar)
A newer homepage has been put up at (http://www.arkivverket.no/eng/Digitalarkivet) and the same resources are available there although the links described below may be on other positions on the page.
An English option is available by clicking on that word from either the left hand column or the blue link bar along the bottom of the homepage. This will NOT translate the actual scanned images - only the operational steps for using the electronic format.
The scanned images are available from the homepage link "Skanna kyrkjebøker" [Norwegian version]/"Digitised parish records" [English version] which is listed on each homepage.
Clicking on "Skanna kyrkjebøker" [Norwegian version]/"Digitised parish records" [English version] will bring up another screen and listing to choose from. Choose "Lesa skanna kyrkjebøker" [Norwegian version]/"Read the digitised parish records" [English version].
After you've clicked on that link and a new main page has presented on the screen be sure and read the instructions that are available from the Digitalarkivet for navigating the scanned records. The instructions are available in Bokmål (official Norwegian), Nyorsk (Norwegian), Davvisámegiella (Saami), and English.
Recommended basic reading are the "Startsiden" [Norwegian version]/"Main page" [English version], "Brukerveiledning" [Norwegian version]/"User's guide" [English version] and "Om tjenesten" [Norwegian version]/"About this service" [English version].

Good information about translating the formats of Norwegian parish church records during various time periods, many of the basic terms used and understanding how to use the information should be studied at this website -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na20.html

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2016 :  01:46:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Ancestry.com a person with similar name and birth date found in Buskerud.

John Syversen
in the Norway, Select Baptisms, 1634-1927
Name: John Syversen
Birth Date: 4 okt 1847 (4 Oct 1847)
Baptism Date: 13 feb 1848
Baptism Place: Viker, Buskerud, Norway
Father: Syver Halvorsen
Mother: Anne Carine Eriksdr
FHL Film Number: 278221
Reference ID: 2:1FX4G8F

Click on this link and look at number 12 top of the page.

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1145&idx_id=1145&uid=ny&idx_side=-21

Probably the same person with family in the 1865 Census.

http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/ft/person/pf01038085000133

Edited by - AntonH on 29/02/2016 01:52:32
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2016 :  02:02:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There do not appear to be parish records earlier than 1857 for Ådal, Buskerud. That's when I turn to the Catalog at FamilySearch.org and check the entry for the topic of Church Records under Ådal, Buskerud. There it explains that BEFORE 1857 Ådal records would be found in Norderhov clerical district of Buskerud...at least as early as 1832.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2016 :  02:31:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John is baptised 13 Feb 1848 in Norderhov district - see record #20
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=8537&idx_id=8537&uid=ny&idx_side=-6
Go to Top of Page

jenseverson
Starting member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2016 :  05:50:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh-MY ! I really need help in the Norwegian language :-) Thanks ever so much for all the researching for me . I did try the links, just did not work when I ask for English. I will keep trying :)
Another question : I see a small o above the A in Adal. That is what in Norwegian ? I know the language has about 6 more letters to the alphabet then our English. I find Oyster has a / in the O. I'm trying PLEASE stay with me :-) This should make your day (laugh)
Your all so kind. Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2016 :  12:30:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clicking on the English button at the Digitialarkivet is not going to convert the original scanned documents into English - it turns on the English language version of the search functions. The original documents are as they were originally written - in Norwegian. I gave you another link to an article which translates the usual column headings on Norwegian parish records which are of great assistance in understanding what information is written in each record.

The characters Å, Ø, and Æ and their lower case versions are used in the alphabet of the Norwegian language that are not used in English. I don't understand your question 'That is what in Norwegian ?' -- it is a unique alphabetic character, that is all. Note that words beginning with those letters fall at the end of their alphabetic when sorted.

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Norway:_Typing_%C3%86,_%C3%98,_and_%C3%85

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/norwegian.htm
https://otjoerge.wordpress.com/norwegian-american-dictionary/ae-o-a-0-9/#0
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2016 :  13:20:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John Syversens parents, Syver Halvorsen, Næseie and Anne Catrine Eriksdatter, Næseie were married March 25 1832, see #24.
Syver Halvorsen was 28 years old and Anne Catrine was 23 years old.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2016 :  12:50:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jenseverson

Need to locate the Birth and Christening records for:

Anne Gulbrandson or Gulbrandsondaughter-
Born 29-12-1852
Haugan in Oystre, Slidre. Oppland.
Jenseverson

But what evidence have you that this particular Anne is your Anne? See the Erik Braaten thread, Norway Heritage forum, where you just posted. The forum did not resolve the question of your Anne's Norwegian identity, and commented on the questionable attempts by descendants to figure it out. Did someone find the "smoking gun"?

Here you ask the forum to find this birth record. But in the other thread you wrote that you "have" it. You type it the same as here, with the same mistakes in spelling and facts. That post does not carry forward the corrections in this thread with the correct spelling of the place name, farm name correction, etc.

So I guess "having" it doesn't mean you'd located the Norwegian evidence. Rather, it perhaps means you harvested a misspelled birth record from some family tree or other secondary source. Is that right?

In other words, the manner of the question casts suspicion on the authority of the assertion that this is your Anne...

She may be, but that is not confirmed until the evidence is offered.

Edited by - JaneC on 01/03/2016 13:23:08
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  11:25:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The parents of Anne Gulbrandsdatter (Anne Gulbrandson or Gulbrandsondaughter), Gulbrand Pedersen, Onstad and Ingeborg Tostensdatter, Hougen, were married Nov 1 1827, see #10.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  11:37:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gulbrand Pedersen was baptized Oct 16 1802, see 4th record on right page.
His parents were Peder Gulbrandsen and Marit Jonsdatter, Onstad.
His parents and siblings in 1801.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  12:09:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ingeborg Tostensdatter was baptized March 11 1809, see last record on right page.
Her parents were Tosten Tostensen and Ragnild Olsdatter, Hougen.
Tosten Tostensen, Hougen and Ragnild Olsdatter, Skattebu were married Oct 25 1798, see 1st record on left page.
The family in 1801.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 02/03/2016 14:12:32
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  14:18:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peder Gulbrandsen, Onstad and Marit Jonsdatter, Alvstad were married June 16 1796, see 5th record in 1796.

Einar
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article