All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Ole Andersen Segtnan arrived on or about 29.7.1893
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Supergeir
Starting member

Norway
18 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2016 :  10:46:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am searching for more details/ documentations around my Great Grandfather Ole Andersen Segtnan`s arrival in the USA on or about the 29th of July 1893.

Ole Andersen Segtnan was born in Norway the 31st of October 1874, and died in Norway as well the 13th of March 1941. (It might seem that he later took the name Ole Sagton, when living in Wilkin County, Minnesota).

I have an indication that he started his journey from Levanger, Norway on or short time after the 26th of June 1893.

It is told that he took a boat from Trondheim, Norway (via Aalesund or Kristiansand) to Newcastle (Hull?), and then the train to Liverpool.

According to the document called "intent to naturalize", he arrived in the USA on or about the 29th of July 1893.

It is said that he arrived on Ellis Island, but I do not know that this was the place for sure.

Shouldn`t there be possible to find his name in any passenger lists or on arrival..?

Geir

Edited by - Supergeir on 29/03/2016 11:16:31

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2016 :  11:35:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Registering to leave Levanger 26 June 1893, as found in the Levanger church book migration list:
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=4360&idx_id=4360&uid=ny&idx_side=-230

Next to Ole on the churchbook list is Ingvald Reistad. I mention Ingvald because he can help identify Ole departing Trondheim; see below.

Maybe this is Ole leaving Trondheim, if the listed age is a mistake - Ole Sektnan traveling to Fergus Falls, Minnesota:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/gen/vis/8/pe00000000121963

Next to Ole Sektnan on the Trondheim departure list is Ingvald Reistad. (Click "Neste" to see Ingvald record)

Here is the same departure from Trondheim, viewed on a different database:
http://gda.arkivverket.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=1&filnamn=EMITROND&gardpostnr=78709&merk=78709#ovre

Stephen Morse website to search Ellis Island:
http://www.stevemorse.org/

Details for the ship Juno trip in June 1893, traveling to Hull:
http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_route.asp?ro=T18

Here is a list of corresponding ships in England. Their schedules would work for passengers on the Juno who were continuing on to New York:
http://www.norwayheritage.com/t_corresp.asp?id=6802

Edited by - JaneC on 29/03/2016 12:42:48
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2016 :  16:45:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is Ole Seknan arrival in Canada. This record has his correct age. You can thank JaneC for this one, her information made the find easy. Nice tip on Ingvald.

Ole Seknan
in the Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935
Name: Ole Seknan
Birth Year: abt 1874
Date of Arrival: 15 Jul 1893
Vessel: Mongolian
Search Ship Database: Search for the Mongolian in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: Quebec, Quebec, Canada
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England; Londonderry, Ireland

Edited by - AntonH on 29/03/2016 16:50:43
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2016 :  16:54:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is his friend Ingvald. Note how the trasncription makes finding the right person a difficult job at times. Original document shows both going to Fergus Falls Minn. Both records from Ancetry.com.

Ingiala Restad
Name: Ingiala Restad
Birth Year: abt 1872
Search Ship Database: Search for the Mongolian in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database

Edited by - AntonH on 29/03/2016 16:59:40
Go to Top of Page

Supergeir
Starting member

Norway
18 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2016 :  19:49:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, thanks so much both to you Jane and you Lynda. I am so excited seeing what you have found! I am quite sure this is him. Seems like the answer was hidden in misspellings, as so often. What I now am thinking of is that Ole according to this arrived in Québec the 15th of July. The intent to neutralize says he arrived in the USA on or about the 29th of July 1893. So.. How could he get from Québec, Canada to USA, and eventuelt at which port, if by ship?

Geir
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2016 :  23:41:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The route he would have taken to Wilkin County would have looked something like this:

Prior to arrival in Quebec, the SS Mongolian would make a stop at the quarantine-station for a doctor exam of all passengers, before they were granted to go ashore.
When in Quebec, they would have to wait some days (up to a week), for the steamer that would take them on the St. Lawrence River to Montreal, a one day boat-trip.
From Montreal, they would take the train to Sarnia, a 2-3 days journey.
From Sarnia, crossing the St. Clair river on a ferry (the Canada/US boarder) to Port Huron.
Then train to Detroit, then change train to go to Grand Haven, and then a new steamer over Lake Michigan to Milwaukee.
And finally train to Minneapolis and further towards Fargo.
The total journey from the first day in Quebec until the final destination Wilkin county, could take up to 2 weeks.

Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2016 :  00:55:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful information!

Seemingly Ingvald Restad also returned to Norway. He is at Restad in 1900:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/ft/person/pf01037478001550

A list of neighboring farms includes Segtnan, where Anders Segtnan is living, and Kolberg nordre, where Ole Segtnan is living, and additional farms with people called Segtnan and Restad.
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/ft/tellingskrets/tf01037478000003

Re. Ole entering the U.S.: Ancestry.com has a database of emigrants entering at Port Huron. Might be possible to find Ole listed.

Re. spelling variations: We often see "g" and "k" interchanged - for example, Viig and Viik.

Edited by - JaneC on 30/03/2016 01:16:34
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2016 :  10:15:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jane.

When it comes to Port Huron border crossing, I don't think there exist any records from 1893...
Go to Top of Page

Supergeir
Starting member

Norway
18 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2016 :  19:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! I am blown away of all the details you have been able to collect. The route from Quebec was really impressive.

Thanks a lot Jan Peter, Jane and Anton.

If anyone ever should have any more details, they are still warmly welcome.

Geir
Go to Top of Page

Supergeir
Starting member

Norway
18 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2016 :  19:56:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just one detail, Jan Peter: as mentioned above my Great Grandfather lived in Wilkin County in 1895 according to the census, but was heading for Fergus Falls, Otter Tail County when he first arrived in 1893.

Even if he was heading for Fergus Falls, is it correct that the end of the trip would be in Fargo, Wilkin County?

I might have misleaded you by mentioning Wilkin County above. If so - sorry for any inconveniences caused.

Geir

Edited by - Supergeir on 31/03/2016 20:05:51
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2016 :  20:45:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a map of the Northern Pacific railroad in 1900. Coming from the east Fergus Falls is closer than Fargo. Fargo is further west. Not sure how legible this will be:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Northern_Pacific_Railroad_map_circa_1900.jpg#/media/File:Northern_Pacific_Railroad_map_circa_1900.jpg
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2016 :  21:18:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Supergeir

Just one detail, Jan Peter: as mentioned above my Great Grandfather lived in Wilkin County in 1895 according to the census, but was heading for Fergus Falls, Otter Tail County when he first arrived in 1893.

Even if he was heading for Fergus Falls, is it correct that the end of the trip would be in Fargo, Wilkin County?

I might have misleaded you by mentioning Wilkin County above. If so - sorry for any inconveniences caused.

As seen by the great map provided by Jackie above, Fergus Falls had its own railway station in 1900, on a separate track after the Wadena junction. Wheather the track existed in 1893, I don't know. New railway tracks were built continuously these days.

Edited by - jwiborg on 31/03/2016 21:24:19
Go to Top of Page

Supergeir
Starting member

Norway
18 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2016 :  22:05:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just found this on Wikipedia: " On October 10, 1882, the line from Wadena, Minnesota, to Fergus Falls, Minnesota, opened for service. " It's Wikipedia, but it could indicate that Fergus Falls was connected already in 1893. Link: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Pacific_Railway

Geir

Edited by - Supergeir on 09/04/2016 22:16:22
Go to Top of Page

Supergeir
Starting member

Norway
18 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2016 :  22:28:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
When in Quebec, they would have to wait some days (up to a week), for the steamer that would take them on the St. Lawrence River to Montreal, a one day boat-trip.

. According to this list, S/S Mongolian was reported to arrive in Montreal the same day. If so, I would guess those heading for Fergus Falls followed all the way to Montreal, instead of waiting for another steamer carrying them the same way later on: http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_ship.asp?sh=mongo

Geir

Edited by - Supergeir on 09/04/2016 23:23:18
Go to Top of Page

Supergeir
Starting member

Norway
18 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2016 :  22:02:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am about to get a broader picture of Ole Segtnan`s period in USA. Eventually there is one detail missing.

According to the 1910 Census in Norway, Ole was in USA in the period from 1893-1899: http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/ft/person/pf01036864002653

Anton (Lyndal40) was so nice to help me find Ole in the passenger list on arrival in Quebec.

Ole Seknan
Name: Ole Seknan
Birth Year: abt 1874

In the family we have a paper from the Norwegian Army that might indicate that Ole returned to Norway already in 1898. I am not very experienced with passenger lists, but have made several searches, but not been able to locate Ole Segntan.

Since Ole arrived in Quebec, I guess he would return the same way back to Norway, via Liverpool and Hull, and then to Trondheim. Eventually, Ole was an adventurer and might have returned from New York as well.

Anyone able to find Ole Segtnan in any passenger list from 1898/1899? Again: he arrived in USA together with Ingvald Reigstad (Restad) and we know that they returned the same year, most significantly on the same boat and dates.

Geir

Edited by - Supergeir on 03/05/2016 22:07:55
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2016 :  22:11:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You will most likely not be able to find any record of his return from America to Norway. Such records are very rare. A possibility could be the UK, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article