All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Help concerning Anders Juelsson/Juell
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2016 :  16:03:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

Lars Andreas Juliussen 1839 Kragerø Sagfører Ugift Krambodgade 4 04.03.1882 avdød Ministerialbok for Trondheim prestegjeld, Domkirken sokn 1877-1891 (1601M2)

Lars Andreas Juliussen 1838 Skaadø Annex i Sandøkedal
Logerende ug Sagfører Kragerø: Hovedbyen 31.12.1875
Folketelling 1875 for 0801P Kragerø prestegjeld

This is birth /baptism of Lars Andreas Juliussen. His parents are Julius Anderson and Berthe Witlesdatter:
SAKO, Sannidal kirkebøker, F/Fa/L0006: Parish register (official) no. 6, 1831-1847, p. 82
Quick link: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/kb20051006010484

Lars also dies in Trondhjem.

Julius Anderson and Birte do have an Andreas Juliusen b abt 1844 who is a sailor , here in 1865 census:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/ft/person/pf01038134004848

And it looks like Andreas Juliusen made every Norwegian census, married in Norway and his birth date is 25 July 1843:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/ft/person/pf01036510002043

Edited by - jkmarler on 27/10/2016 02:06:53
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2016 :  07:56:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

Olaves Jens Juliussen 05.01.1838 Enerhougen 1853 innflyttar
Ministerialbok for Jevnaker prestegjeld 1837-1857 (0532P)

Here is a link to the actual parish register of Olaves moving in to Jevnaker #8 left page:

SAH, Jevnaker prestekontor, Parish register (official) no. 6, 1837-1857, p. 297
Quick link: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/kb20070205640104

The column dealing with who he came with or for I think says "Opfostering" and also a year 1857, so perhaps he's being "farmed out" as it were until 1857? Perhaps someone else could check this entry.

Here is Olavus Jens Julius (not a patronymic but another middle name), #127. His father is Svend Olsen and mother Elisabet Halvorsdtr, so of no further interest here.

SAO, Aker prestekontor kirkebøker, F/L0016: Parish register (official) no. 16, 1827-1841, p. 37
Quick link: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/kb20061109020032

Edited by - jkmarler on 28/10/2016 07:43:27
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2016 :  08:43:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a couple who have both Julius and Antonette in their names, parents of at least two children born in the 1830s in Oslo one of which transcription linked here:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N4Y8-3QJ

No children left in the household in 1865, Sophie Andrea Antonette Pauline as widow:
http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/ft/person/pf01038027002336

Edited by - jkmarler on 27/10/2016 08:47:44
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2016 :  16:46:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, interesting, although I cannot find more than the two children you referenced above.

https://forum.arkivverket.no/topic/110588-24925-juvelerurmaker-brinck-christiania-1853/

Family Tree for the one son.

http://www.matkull.se/norge/pb52a7105.html

Edited by - AntonH on 27/10/2016 16:49:42
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2016 :  18:49:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watchmaker master / Goldsmith master Frederik Julius Brinck (27) and misses Andrea Antonette Pauline Sophie Müller (34) married on 23 Dec 1835 in Oslo Domkirke / Vår Frelsers menighet.
She is born in Rendsborg, Denmark. (Today Rendsburg, Germany).
Fredrik was one of the leading jewelers in Christiania in the 1850s, and died in 1857.

This looks like a very distinguished family. The father is a Goldsmith, a Citizen of Christiania and he has already a familyname. Such familynames would be kept for future generations. Thus; a son named Anders would most likely use "Andrew Brinck" in America.

Edited by - jwiborg on 27/10/2016 19:10:04
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2016 :  00:55:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are probably right but consider the word "Jewel" in English is what is used in the manufacture of fine jewelry by people like goldsmiths etc..

What about the entry on young Olaves above? never mind.

Edited by - jkmarler on 28/10/2016 07:44:41
Go to Top of Page

kevinjewell
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2017 :  18:13:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all so much for the responses thus far, and all of the research you did. I would have responded sooner, but I lost the url for this site and only rediscovered it recently. I will check it more often in the future.

I have done DNA testing, and have turned up matches in both Norway and Sweden, and my Y-DNA result (R1a) shows matches mostly in the Dalarna region of Sweden, but also some in Norway across the border from there, so my great-grandfather mightl have been born in Norway, but have his ultimate paternal line originating in Sweden. My great-grandmother, on the other hand, may have been entirely Norwegian, because my autosomal DNA shows many matches in Norway, as well as Sweden, and even some in Finland (presumably from Swedes who moved there).

I will check out all of the records you noted. I had already located the US census records and his citizenship papers, as well as his obituary. I think the one census reference to "Prussia" was a mistake, possibly because some neighbors were from there. The references to being born in Ireland are definitely mistakes, probably because of his marriage into an Irish family in New York (as someone noted). My great-grandfather had a number of children, including two daughters who never married and lived at home, and from other evidence I have, I suspect that they gave incorrect information about the family to census takers at times (their own ages kept getting younger as they grew older!).

One person asked if I knew of siblings or cousins of my great-grandfather in the US. I do not, although I know of all of his descendants. In one census record in New York, there was an Ole Juelsen living very close to him, and that Ole Juelsen has had much written about him, because he became a Lutheran pastor and worked with the Norwegian community in Brooklyn, and also somewhere in the Midwest, but thus far I have found no connection between them, other than living near one another in that census record.

Since my Andrew Jewell arrived at the age of 16, and lived in a partly Irish neighborhood where he married a Catholic, he may not have had much contact with other Scandinavians there. There is a history book about the Norwegian community in Manhattan and Brooklyn, which I have read, but the people mentioned (many of them sailors) mostly came later on, and their lives centered around the Lutheran church (Ole Juelsen is mentioned extensively in that book).

Interestingly, if one looks at the mid-19th-century US census records for the area, there are a number off Scandinavian men married to Irish women, presumably sailors who stayed in NYC and found mostly Irish women to marry (most complete Scandinavian families went on the the Midwest, where their descendants are numerous still today).

Thank you again for your help, and for any more info anyone may happen to find.

-- Kevin

Edited by - kevinjewell on 25/08/2017 00:58:26
Go to Top of Page

kevinjewell
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2017 :  18:52:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at the discussion off the Brinck family above, I noticed that their daughter was baptized with both the Brinck surname and also the patronymic Juelsdatter. If they did happen to have a son named Andreas, then he might have been baptized as Andreas Brinck Juelsen, and when he came to the US, the authorities might have assumed that Brinck was his middle name, so he could have become Andrew Jewels, which was the first form of the name which he used in the US (one numerous branch of my family here in the US, descended from his oldest son, Michael, still has the surname Jewels).

I guess that I need to contact the Domkirke to see whether this couple did have a son named Andreas in the 1830's. I understand that it was also customary in Lutheran churches to record when people left the parish, so perhaps that might have been done for Andreas (if there was a son named Andreas).

It's also interesting that the mother was named Andrea Antonette, Would it have been at all customary to name a male child (perhaps a younger child) after his mother?

Also, since the father was a jeweler, the family was presumably not poor, but would there have been any general economic issues at the time in Oslo which might have resulted in a son being sent to sea, even if the family were not traditionally fishermen or seamen?

A final question, in case anyone knows, but are there ship's records from that time in Norway which might record who sailed on a merchant ship (if his ship went to New York, I suppose that it was a merchant ship)?

Thanks again for any help!

-- Kevin
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2017 :  02:01:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What was the original source for the names of Andrew's parents, Julius and Antonette?
Go to Top of Page

kevinjewell
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2017 :  21:06:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They were named on his death certificate in the US, without any surnames.

-- Kevin
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2017 :  02:57:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the Norske Luthereske Prester i Amerika pg 110:

Ole Juul, the pastor, was born 10 Sept 1838 Vestre Slidre, Valdres to Juul Olsen and Betsy. He came to US in 1848, was pastor in New York 1866-1876, also those years was sailor's and indremission pastor. He married Gustava Maria Grude in 1866 and died 11 Nov 1903.

Edited by - jkmarler on 26/02/2017 15:49:36
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2017 :  03:23:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another candidate leaving out the birth year as important.

Name: Andreas Reinhart Julsen
Birth Date: 1 aug 1829
Baptism Date: 4 okt 1829 (4 Oct 1829)
Baptism Place: Bragernes Drammen,Buskerud,Norway
Father: Juul Nilsen
Mother: Ingeborg Johnsdr

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/kb20051125010496

They had two other children Maria Amalie b 1836 and Edvard b 1838

Edited by - AntonH on 26/02/2017 18:18:50
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2017 :  04:26:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ole Juel was born Sept 7, 1838, father Juel Olsen Gulhaug ? mother Berit Evensdatter number 58

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/kb20070603980574

A tree shows them with at least eight children none named Anders or Andreas

Edited by - AntonH on 26/02/2017 04:40:38
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2017 :  19:54:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a Juulsen who came into New York in 1852. Of course his age doesn't match (he's 22) and his name is Syvert not Andreas or similar but...:
http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_list.asp?jo=2077&ps=6859
Go to Top of Page

kevinjewell
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2017 :  19:55:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for checking on Ole Juel/Juul (I misstated his name in my other message). It does seem unlikely that he was related to my great-grandfather.
I have been learning a bit of Norwegian, especially terms used in genealogical research, by looking them up and combining my English and German vocabulary (I have a masters degree in German), so I was able to follow the discussion of the Brinck family in the Arkivverkert online forum a bit, but there doesn't seem to be anything there which helps to establish a connection with my Andreas Juelsen. Oh, well, I will keep trying.
Thanks again for al your help.

-- Kevin
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article