All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Finding ancestral home using census (visit Norway)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

northernskies55
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  01:18:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am the ancestry researcher for my family. My cousins will visit Norway in June and would like to see where our ancestors lived. I have the censii/censusses? for most of our ancestors. Is there anyway to learn where these homes existed? They were mostly in Oppland - Rudi, Jostad. But i also have family from Biri and Eggdal, however, they immigrated to the USA in the 1840s so i have have no idea how to discover their homes (krageberg eie and possibly Skaret)
Help greatly appreciated.

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7766 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  01:44:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess the first thing would be to get the farms connected with the right people. In the 1865 census there is only one farm named Jostad (with that exact spelling) in Oppland fylke and Buskerud fylke and its in Biri:
https://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/ft/person/pf01038066005321

Lots of farms that were being worked in the 1800s have been abandoned and their lands absorbed in other farms.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9228 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  02:31:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would agree with Jackie that you are going to be best served by linking the people to the right farm. Jostad is simpler in that there are only two Jostad farms listed in the Olaf Rygh book for Norwegian Farm names in Oppland . Kristians amt is the old name for Oppland.

Farm no. Farm Parish Muncipality County
114 Jostad Snertingdalen Biri Kristians amt
168 Jostad Gran Gran Kristians amt

However for Rudi the number is much larger and so harder to determine which farm is of interest to you. Here is the list for Rudi in Oppland from the Olav Rygh book.

Farm no. Farm Parish Muncipality County
56 Rudi Dovre Dovre Kristians amt
74 Rudi Lesje Lesje Kristians amt
39 Rudi Ulnes Nordre Aurdal Kristians amt
155 Rudi Faavang Ringebu Kristians amt
114 Rudi Nordberget Skiaaker Kristians amt
41 Rudi Søndre Fron Søndre Fron Kristians amt
257 Rudi Sel Vaage Kristians amt
95 Rudi Hurum Vang Kristians amt
11 Rudi Hegge Østre Slidre Kristians amt
24 Rudi Hegge Østre Slidre Kristians amt
51 Rudi Rogne Østre Slidre Kristians amt

And as Jackie mentioned many farms are no longer in existence and thus difficult to pin down where they were.

Edited by - AntonH on 02/05/2017 02:35:51
Go to Top of Page

northernskies55
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  04:08:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for answering. I am unfamiliar with the book you mention. I do not speak Norwegian, sadly.

Perhaps I can give more info on the specfic people and farms.

0. Kari Knudsdatter (1840) and her husband Nils Nilsen (1843)lived at Rudi farm in Roe, Rogne. Nils possibly first lived there with his sister Kari Nilsen in 1865. However, In 1901, Late in her life, Kari is living at Bjornpladsen in Rogne- which may have been her grandmother Berit's home (her first husband was a bjornpladsen). Kari's children Ann and Johan are with her in 1901. . johan emigrated to the US, but I don't know what happened to Ann after 1910 or if the farm was owned by my family or if they were just allowed to be there.

0. The Jørstad/jostad line was: Nils Tordson (thorsen) 1805: Tord Nilsen 1778: Nils Syversen 1726 (wife from Fystro): Syver olasen 1687
In 1865 Census Nils Tordson(1805) is living with wife Berit Jensdatter (1811) at Jorstad N in Volbu with his wife.

0. The Hans Christans Hegge family from Stor Gryte. I think their farm was called Stor Gryte and the house exists still tho it was sold possibly to a relative when my gggg grandfather emigrated in the 1860s.

0. Peder Evansen (1774) and his wife Berit Larsdatter (1776) lived at Krageberg eie in Biri in 1800. Peder's father Evan Hansen was from Klumsteen eie. The last child of peder is listed as being from Snertingdal,tho death records show Peder and Berit associated with Krageberg eie. I'd love to know generally where these farms might be.

0. Gulbrand Gunnarsen (Gunder) 1785 and his wife Mari Helgesdatter (1793) departed In 1841 and are in the Eggdal/Sigdal area emmigration record. In churchbooks they are associated with Skare/Skaret/jare farm names (Gulbrand) and Skala or Medalen (mari). I have not found any census for this family.

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9228 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  06:15:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
0. Gulbrand Gunnarsen (Gunder) 1785 and his wife Mari Helgesdatter (1793) departed In 1841 and are in the Eggdal/Sigdal area emmigration record. In churchbooks they are associated with Skare/Skaret/jare farm names (Gulbrand) and Skala or Medalen (mari). I have not found any census for this family.

Here is the 1801 Census for Medalen. You have two Maren Helgesdatter both born about the same year 1793-1794 to choose from.

Link

A possible baptism for the second Maren Helgesdatter listed in the 1801 Census. Baptism was 24 Mar 1793. See third column from the left the Eggedal Col. Last record in this column. Father is Helge Ingebretsen.

link

The mother is not listed in the baptism record but this is likely the marriage of Helge Ingebretsen and Karen Halvorsdatter. on Oct 4, 1791. See far right column for Eggedal. Second record from the bottom.

Link

Based on the records I would venture that the mother of the second Maren Helgesdatter born Mar 24, 1893 was named Karen Halvorsdatter and was the daughter of Halvor Ellingsen listed as 009 in the 1801 Census and listed as the grandfather of Maren Helgesdatter number 011.

Maren or Mari Helgesdatter married Gulbrand Gundersen in 1820. Farm name at that time was Schare (same as Skare). See last record right page.

A candidate for Gulbrand Gundersen in the 1801 Census. Already out on his own.

Link

Edited by - AntonH on 02/05/2017 22:54:31
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7766 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  08:53:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the 1865 for Nils Nilsen and sister Kari Nilsen:
https://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/ft/bosted_land/bf01038076003302

Is this Kari and her children and husband in 1900? If so the farm is given numbers Mat Gnr 51 and Løp Bnr 9 and called Sletteberg.
https://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/ft/person/pf01037103001907

Here is the 1910 census for the same farm Bergli (Sletteberg) 51, 9:
https://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/ft/person/pf01036455000696

Kari Knudsdatter in 1910 farm is called Bjørnspladsen and numbers 51, 4
https://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/ft/person/pf01036455000703

Edited by - jkmarler on 02/05/2017 09:29:16
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  11:02:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Medalen, Nord Skare, Skala and Jare are marked out in this map.
You can zoom and pan to your liking.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  11:15:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
0. Peder Evansen (1774) and his wife Berit Larsdatter (1776) lived at Krageberg eie in Biri in 1800. Peder's father Evan Hansen was from Klumsteen eie. The last child of peder is listed as being from Snertingdal,tho death records show Peder and Berit associated with Krageberg eie. I'd love to know generally where these farms might be.

I have marked the farm Krageberg and the center of the valey Snertingdal in this Map.
Zoom and pan to your liking.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  11:22:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
0. The Jørstad/jostad line was: Nils Tordson (thorsen) 1805: Tord Nilsen 1778: Nils Syversen 1726 (wife from Fystro): Syver olasen 1687
In 1865 Census Nils Tordson(1805) is living with wife Berit Jensdatter (1811) at Jorstad N in Volbu with his wife.

I have marked Jørstad and Volbu in this Map.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  11:34:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
0. Kari Knudsdatter (1840) and her husband Nils Nilsen (1843)lived at Rudi farm in Roe, Rogne. Nils possibly first lived there with his sister Kari Nilsen in 1865. However, In 1901, Late in her life, Kari is living at Bjornpladsen in Rogne- which may have been her grandmother Berit's home (her first husband was a bjornpladsen). Kari's children Ann and Johan are with her in 1901. . johan emigrated to the US, but I don't know what happened to Ann after 1910 or if the farm was owned by my family or if they were just allowed to be there.

I have marked Rudi, Røe, and Bjørnstad (Bjørnpladsen could be part of this farm) in this Map.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  11:41:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your cousins could always visit the parish churches - that is usually where members of that parish would have worshiped and would have been buried.
Rudi Bjørnplads %(Sletteberg)% (1865 listing), Rogne, Østre Slidre, Oppland
Jøten (1865 spelling), Rogne, Østre Slidre, Oppland**
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%98ystre_Slidre
possibly Gryte Stor, Vardal, Vardal, Oppland (not enough information about family members to be at all sure)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vardal
Kraksberg (formerly spelled Krageberg), Biri, Biri (now Gjøvik), Oppland
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gj%C3%B8vik
Skare, Eggedal, Sigdal, Buskerud (family members long gone from area so not in census)
Medalen, Eggedal, Sigdal, Buskerud
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigdal

** In the 1865 census Nils Tordsen and his wife Berit Jensdtr. live on the Jøten farm in Rogne parish of Østre Slidre, not Jørstad farms in Volbu parish.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  18:55:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the location of Bjørnsplassen (see yellow cirle).
Street address:
Vestsidevegen 388
2943 Rogne

A rental car with GPS should take you straight to the farm if you enter that address...
The driving distance from Oslo Airport is 190 km (2hrs 45 mins).

In 1916, Johan Nilsen Rudi took over the farm Bjørnsplassen after his mother; widow Kari Knudsdatter.
At the same time, he renamed the farm to Espeli.
10 years later he sold it to Knut Furulund. His son Oskar Furulund (1915-2001) took over in 1950.
Can't find anyone living there today, but you could check with the person living next door.

Bjørnsplassen

Vestsidevegen is a dirt road. The google car has been there, so you can check out the area using Google street view.

Edited by - jwiborg on 02/05/2017 22:45:17
Go to Top of Page

northernskies55
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2017 :  23:34:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you thank you everyone whom has replied. The maps are so very helpful, I appreciate you taking the time to make these.

Can I trouble you for a bit more info Jwiborg? Is Bjornpladsen and Bjornplassen the same thing?

Johann Emigrated in 1912 to the United States and his mother Kari Knudsdatter lived to 1930 and her church book record lists . So I wonder if his sister Anne Married and thus Johan sold his inheritance to his sister Anne's husband? I will look to see if this is the case. I have not been able to locate Ann after 1910.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9228 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2017 :  00:34:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
0. The Hans Christans Hegge family from Stor Gryte. I think their farm was called Stor Gryte and the house exists still tho it was sold possibly to a relative when my gggg grandfather emigrated in the 1860s.

In the 1865 Census Hans and family were living at Hegge Nordre, Biri.

Link

Map

In 1801 a young Christian was living with parents on Gryte Stor

Link

Map

When Hans was born in 1820, Christian Hansen and Johanne Daphinsdatter had the Gryte farm name.

Edited by - AntonH on 03/05/2017 02:40:43
Go to Top of Page

northernskies55
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2017 :  08:56:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you again everyone.
Lyndal40 I came to the same conclusion as you that Maren is being raised my her grandparents in 1801 and that her parents died. I find now that Her father Helge engebretsen and her Mom, karen Halvorsdatter, appear to have died with a year of each other when Maren was a toddler.
Jmarler, the first and last census info you gave is the right one, but in the second one you have My gggg grandmother's brother Tolleff Knudsen and his wife Kari Nilsen. It's confusig because a brother and a sister married a brother and a sister (both wives were named Kari) and were married on the same day. Then they named their kids similarly.
The nils nilsen (with sister kari) is correct and the Bjornpladsen is correct.

So as to the Jostad/jorstad farms- the spelling varies and i dont know which is correct. I only know the lineages.

Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2017 :  20:07:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by northernskies55

Thank you thank you everyone whom has replied. The maps are so very helpful, I appreciate you taking the time to make these.

Can I trouble you for a bit more info Jwiborg? Is Bjornpladsen and Bjornplassen the same thing?

Johann Emigrated in 1912 to the United States and his mother Kari Knudsdatter lived to 1930 and her church book record lists . So I wonder if his sister Anne Married and thus Johan sold his inheritance to his sister Anne's husband? I will look to see if this is the case. I have not been able to locate Ann after 1910.

Pladsen is just an old spelling of plassen, so that is the same. Actually, the spelling is Bjørnsplassen. (with 3 x s). It can be translated into "Bjørn's residence", and I think it's because someone named Bjørn resided there.
Note that the male name Bjørn also means "bear", so it could also mean that there was a bearcave there in old times, but I think the former is the correct origin.

Strange the Johan emigrated in 1912. The local history book for the area says that his mother transfered the farm to Johan in 1916. I guess that info comes from the probate registers. Likewise, the same book says the farm was sold again in 1926.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article