All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Trying to connect two possible brothers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aethos
Medium member

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2017 :  22:39:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone! I have a suspicion that two individuals may be brothers but I'm having a hard time finding good records on Digital Arkivit for Vinger during 1827-1835. Perhaps someone might have a few minutes to lend me?

What I'm looking for is Johannes Johannesen and Evan (or Eivind) Johannesen. I believe this is Johannes on the 1865 census:
https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/census/person/pf01038039001396

Johannes Johannesen b 31 August 1835, Fagernesbakken, Fagernes, Vinger, Hedmark
Even Johannesen b 8 August 1827, Norway

Based on DNA tests I have a reason to suspect these two may have been brothers. Johannes's daughter Olia emigrated to the US, and Evan also emigrated to the US. Even came to Minnesota by at least 1855 and served in the Civil War but it's unknown right now where he came from.

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer! I've checked the ministerialboker for Vinger but the dates are all over. (Found an 1834 birth registered in 1835...) The kirkeboker are also not showing me anything unless I'm overlooking or looking in the wrong place.

Here's my current research page for Even/Eivind:
https://www.blyfamily.com/webtrees/individual.php?pid=I294&ged=Bly%20Family

Thanks!
James

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2017 :  23:06:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Ancestry.com

This looks like your Johannes Jonannesen

Johannes Johannessen
in the Norway, Select Baptisms, 1634-1927
Name: Johannes Johannessen
Birth Date: 31 aug 1835
Birth Place: Vinger, Hedmark, Norway
Baptism Date: 4 okt 1835 (4 Oct 1835)
Baptism Place: Vinger, Hedmark, Norway
Father: Johannes Johansen Fagernæsbakken
Mother: Kari Olsdatter
FHL Film Number: 124482
Reference ID: bk8 p110

Original record in Digitalarkivet

Edited by - AntonH on 09/07/2017 23:12:32
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2017 :  23:21:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a daughter born in Nov 1827 with what looks to be the same parents as Johannes born in 1835. Might be hard to have a son born Aug of 1827 as well as the daughter Kari born in Nov 1827.

Kari Johannesdatter
in the Norway, Select Baptisms, 1634-1927
Name: Kari Johannesdatter
Birth Date: 20 nov 1827
Birth Place: Vinger, Hedmark, Norway
Baptism Date: 17 feb 1828
Baptism Place: Vinger, Hedmark, Norway
Father: Johannes Johansen Fagernæsbakken
Mother: Kari Olsdatter
FHL Film Number: 124482
Reference ID: bk8 p25

Last entry on right hand page for 17 Feb 1828

Link

Edited by - AntonH on 09/07/2017 23:24:54
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2017 :  02:15:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why do you think the birthplace of Eivind is "dubious.?"

"August 8, 1827
Hauggejord, Telemarken, Norway

Note: Place of birth is dubious."

Hauggejord is likely to be some variation of a farm name. Actually I searched at the new property search engine at the Digitalarkivet looking at all the parishes for a farm with that spelling and found none.

Looking for a similar spelling with only one g produced results. Telemarken is in Ostlandet region and so here are the results
for all the parishes in that region with only one g:
Haugejordet
ui.mnr: -
ui.lnr: 132
Municipality/parish: Nes Flå
Bailiff/parish: Nes
County: Buskerud
Source: 1865 census for Nes

Haugejord
ui.gnr: -
ui.bnr: -
Municipality/parish: Kviteseid Brunkeberg Vrådal
Bailiff/parish: Kviteseid
County: Telemark
Source: 1865 census for Kviteseid

Haugejordet
ui.gnr: 38, 37, 37
ui.bnr: 5, 7, 53
Municipality/parish: Nes
Bailiff/parish: Hallingdal
Source: 1900 census for Nes

Haugejordet
ui.gnr: 77
ui.bnr: 15
Municipality/parish: Skiptvet
Bailiff/parish: Rakkestad
County: Østfold
Source: 1900 census for Skiptvet
Haugejorden

ui.gnr: 34
ui.bnr: 1
Municipality/parish: Uvdal
Bailiff/parish: Numedal og Sandsvær
Source: 1910 census for Uvdal
Haugeje

ui.gnr: under 77
Municipality/parish: Øvre Eiker
Bailiff/parish: Buskerud
Source: 1900 census for Øvre Eiker

Haugeje
Haugeje

Haugeje (Præstegaard)

Haugejordet
ui.gnr: 21
Municipality/parish: Hurum
Source: 1891 census for 0628 Hurum

Only one from a parish in Telemark (Kviteseid) the majority are in Buskerud fylke.

Where did you get the farm name in U.S. records?

Edited by - jkmarler on 10/07/2017 02:45:57
Go to Top of Page

aethos
Medium member

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2017 :  03:18:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noted it dubious because I couldn't find any reference to Hauggejord and my father got that information from "down in Houston county" but that's all he remembered. He said "That's what they had down there." Unfortunately I don't know who "they" are or where they got it. :P Also I don't know about the name Eivind at all, since he never went by that name. Even on his marriage record he put the name Even.

At this point I don't have a good source citation to say that is where Even came from though it's interesting that you did find one. I never found that property search part of digitalarkivit but it's been rearranged and I've been trying to learn how they have it setup now. I had started to make progress learning the old site though.

So I just looked at the death certificate that I found on familysearch.org and it looks like my father had the wrong birth year. His birth year should be 1829! That's all it says though I could order a copy of the original death certificate if it's available. I know where his grave is but unfortunately they don't have a good picture on findagrave.com.

So I'm going to assume that 1829 is the correct year and that 1827 came from a transcription gone wrong or perhaps the gravestone is worn away. I'll see what more I can find on him though. Sorry I didn't have that sorted when I asked.

Right now given the family connections, Even Johnson is the only one that makes sense to be connected to this other family but it's always possible that something somwhere was overlooked?

Either way you all always amaze me. I wasn't able to find any of that in my searches.

James
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2017 :  10:31:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The early marriages at Spring Grove often contain the parish of birth for the parties. Was he married at Spring Grove?

They were married by a justice of the peace at their residence:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939K-RPSS-S9?i=151&cc=1803974

Here is his FAG memorial. His stone is a government issued stone which gives only his name and company and unit:
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=johnson&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=25&GScnty=1337&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GSsr=81&GRid=51929346&df=all&

Even was mustered in on 31 Aug 1864 as aged 37 and discharged 26 June 1865. The full birth and death dates at FAG are not sourced and are not on the stone.

Anyway, here is an exceedingly long shot possible. Even born 27 Aug 1829 in Nes in Hallingdal # 200. His father is not a Jon however but a Bendix Evenson and they are not on Haugejordet, but:

SAKO, Nes kirkebøker, F/Fa/L0008: Ministerialbok nr. 8, 1824-1834, s. 282-283
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/kb20060130010349

Edited by - jkmarler on 10/07/2017 11:58:44
Go to Top of Page

aethos
Medium member

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2017 :  16:36:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're looking at family search, I actually have a decent profile of him built out there so far:
https://familysearch.org/tree/person/LTXH-72D/details

His death record is the one that throws me off which says 1829. However that would have been handwritten as well so perhaps it really was a 7 and not a 9.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FDZV-GLC

That's also the record that shows his father as John and mother as Gunow.

Most of the military records I see are pretty precise so if he mustered in 1864 at 37 then he would definitely have been born before August 31st 1827.

Edited by - aethos on 10/07/2017 16:38:10
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2017 :  18:10:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aethos

If you're looking at family search, I actually have a decent profile of him built out there so far:
https://familysearch.org/tree/person/LTXH-72D/details

His death record is the one that throws me off which says 1829. However that would have been handwritten as well so perhaps it really was a 7 and not a 9.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FDZV-GLC

That's also the record that shows his father as John and mother as Gunow.

Most of the military records I see are pretty precise so if he mustered in 1864 at 37 then he would definitely have been born before August 31st 1827.

The original microfilm is viewable of the death transcription by borrowing the microfilm of the records through the LDS Family History Center system. It may even be online there as a browseable not yet hooked up to the search / indexed records.

I'm surprised he hasn't been found in the 1857 Minnesota Territorial census.

Well, the military records about his age would have been information that he supplied to them himself.

If they attended a Lutheran church and baptized their children you might want to check each of the baptismal records for iterations of his name. Sometimes farm names are added in some records and not others, that's why the need is to see them all. The ELCA baptismal records are on Ancestry (even the Library edition) and Archives.com. Would be worth your time to look into them.

Likewise, his funeral record may also be found in the ELCA funeral database and contain information about his Norway origin. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2017 :  23:35:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eivind was born in Brunkeberg sub parish, Kviteseid parish, Telemark County August 8. 1827, bapt. Eivind Jensen August 19. in Brunkeberg church.
Parents: Jens Halvorsen and Gunvor Andersdatter Haugejord, see #14

Brunkeberg

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 10/07/2017 23:52:04
Go to Top of Page

aethos
Medium member

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2017 :  04:23:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kare, are you Gandalf? Who was that masked woman?

I'm a little taken aback... Jensen? I mean, I've got family that changed their names from Johansen to Brown... or the Hatlevig's who came from Hatlevik... but this is the first time I've seen someone with a name like Eivind Jensen start going by Even Johnson. But that's spot on for what I was told.

So I really need to confirm that he's got that as his birthdate on some record so I can be sure somoene in the past didn't tie him to this person accidentally when he is secretly somewhere else as Even Johnson with a different birth date. I'm going to try to take Jackie's advice though right now I've been doing everything on familysearch as I don't have an Ancestry account active right now.

Also this thickens the plot on the DNA question. I had thought this might tear down a brick wall. (Already happened for me twice off DNA...) Still.

Thanks you all!
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2017 :  23:28:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're welcome.

Some changed name to the unrecognizable, from Jensen to Johnsen is a small step

Take the time you need.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 11/07/2017 23:28:28
Go to Top of Page

aethos
Medium member

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  00:20:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found the DNA connection and low and behold, it's a section of the family that you Kare, along with Jackie and Anton helped me track down almost 3 years ago to the day.
http://www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6073

It turns out that it's not Johannes Johanneson that we are connected through, but his WIFE, Olia Andersdatter. Olia's sister, Caren, is the wife of Christopher Andersen who you helped me track in that previous post.

BOOM! Very exciting stuff and this might help me figure out why Caren keeps disappearing from the census! If she had family in Fargo she might be on the North Dakota census and I just never thought to look there.

Very cool. Also I found a bunch of cousins in Norway now, where I know how they are related. Not that we're going to throw a family reunion or anything but it's pretty cool that after 200 years, we can find a big chunk of our DNA and map it directly to one of two ancestors! Maybe eventually we'll find a match with their parents kids and we will know exactly who that DNA came from!

Anyway, wanted to give an update. Even Johnson, if that IS your real name... you're off the hook. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2017 :  00:03:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eivinds em. to America April 1852.
b 8. August, bapt.19. August 1827 Bachelor Eivind Jensen Haugejord. Dest Amerika, see right page #82
Eivind traveled with #82 Halvor Jørgensen Bygland

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

aethos
Medium member

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2017 :  04:12:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not know how you managed to read that. If I squint at it sideways I can kinda make out what you saw. I thought they didn't start keeping emigration records until like 1860-1870? Are there some places that kept them earlier or was the start of all emigration records earlier than i realized?
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2017 :  09:16:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes to read the church books, one must tilt the eyes

Migration records are kept in the church books.
The oldest migration record I have seen in the scanned church books is from 1795.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 13/07/2017 23:46:54
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article