All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Travel to Norway to visit ancestors' farms
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KarenRadtke
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  02:59:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I mentioned in an earlier post, my paternal grandparents' ancestors came from the Voss area (Fadnes farm) and Aurland (Berekvam farm). I and my husband would like to visit those areas. We are from Milwaukee, WI, USA. Are there any English speaking tour groups that would guide us from Bergen to Aurland to Oslo. I am 69 and my husband is 78, so we are not comfortable planning this trip on our own. We, of course, would like to experience the Flåm railroad and a day trip on the Sognefjord. Are there any recommendations anyone can make. Thank you.

KBR

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  13:11:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps this is what you are looking for link

How to get to Voss link

Bergen air-port Flesland link

Good luck.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 07/06/2016 13:17:14
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  16:08:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The forums of this website have never been much for discussion of planning travel in Norway, just not our expertise or areas of specific interest.
You might try joining the Norway List (mailing list) at RootsWeb/Ancestry and asking there. Through the years I've seen more discussion of such topics by the subscribers there.
http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/index/intl/NOR/NORWAY.html
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/NorwayList.htm
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  17:25:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Globus journeys offers a 9 Day "SCENIC NORWAY" tour. The tour includes a 2-hour cruise on the Sognefjord on Day #4, and the Flåm Railroad on Day #5.
Note that when joining such guided bus tours with a fixed schedule, it can be difficult to visit places of personal interest, such as the farm your grandparents ancestors came from.
Note that there is a stopover in Stalheim on Day #4, which is only a 40 minute drive from the Berekvam farm. You might have a chance that evening to go on a private trip to your ancestors fam, e.g. by rental car, taxi (expensive..) or other means.. The Flåm train tour on day #5 will also take you near the Berekvam farm, but the train doesn't stop there. The train makes only 1 stop at the waterfalls, where you might spot Huldra (the wood nymph). The bus ride on Day #5 will after the stop in Voss take you near the Fadnes farm on route to Bergen.

The same tour is also available through FOX World Travel, a travel agency with many locations in Wisconsin.
You might wanna contact Greenfield travel agency or Brookfield travel agency for details.

If you go to tourradar.com and select "Suitable for 60+", the same 9-day Scenic Norway tour comes up as the only alternative. It seems like a good choice, with nice reviews.

Other alternatives can be found at www.scandinaviantravel.com.

Edited by - jwiborg on 07/06/2016 22:32:56
Go to Top of Page

KarenRadtke
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2016 :  00:37:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

Globus journeys offers a 9 Day "SCENIC NORWAY" tour. The tour includes a 2-hour cruise on the Sognefjord on Day #4, and the Flåm Railroad on Day #5.
Note that when joining such guided bus tours with a fixed schedule, it can be difficult to visit places of personal interest, such as the farm your grandparents ancestors came from.
Note that there is a stopover in Stalheim on Day #4, which is only a 40 minute drive from the Berekvam farm. You might have a chance that evening to go on a private trip to your ancestors fam, e.g. by rental car, taxi (expensive..) or other means.. The Flåm train tour on day #5 will also take you near the Berekvam farm, but the train doesn't stop there. The train makes only 1 stop at the waterfalls, where you might spot Huldra (the wood nymph). The bus ride on Day #5 will after the stop in Voss take you near the Fadnes farm on route to Bergen.

The same tour is also available through FOX World Travel, a travel agency with many locations in Wisconsin.
You might wanna contact Greenfield travel agency or Brookfield travel agency for details.

If you go to tourradar.com and select "Suitable for 60+", the same 9-day Scenic Norway tour comes up as the only alternative. It seems like a good choice, with nice reviews.

Other alternatives can be found at www.scandinaviantravel.com.

Thank you so much. This information does look like what I was hoping for.

KBR
Go to Top of Page

KarenRadtke
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2016 :  00:40:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kåarto

Perhaps this is what you are looking for link

How to get to Voss link

Bergen air-port Flesland link

Good luck.

Kåre

Thank you so much for the link to Norway in a Nutshell tour guides. I will definitely contact them.

KBR
Go to Top of Page

KarenRadtke
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2016 :  01:05:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins

The forums of this website have never been much for discussion of planning travel in Norway, just not our expertise or areas of specific interest.
You might try joining the Norway List (mailing list) at RootsWeb/Ancestry and asking there. Through the years I've seen more discussion of such topics by the subscribers there.
http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/index/intl/NOR/NORWAY.html
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/NorwayList.htm

OK. Thanks for the suggestion.

KBR
Go to Top of Page

KarenRadtke
Starting member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2017 :  17:30:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Kåarto,
Through your suggested links last year, I connected with http://www.exclusivescandinavia.no which arranged a wonderful trip to Norway, during which I was able to visit both the Fadnes and Berekvam farms. Even though I no longer had relatives on the farms, it was still a spiritual experience for me to see the gorgeous landscape they saw every day of their lives and understand how hard it must have been for them to leave such a beautiful place, even though life was not easy working on these farms.
My husband and I also enjoyed the more traditional tourist outings such as boating on the Sognefjord, riding the Flamsbana to Myrdal, biking down to Flåm with a stop at Berekvam, etc. Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for helping me to find Ingjerd Dymba Anda, who worked with me to set up my custom visit.

KBR
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article