All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Seeking help on ancestors in Bruvik Vaksdal Dale
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kurtfoss
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2018 :  17:00:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The older sister to my great-grandmother—both born in Sogndal—married a man from Lom, and they moved to Bruvik/Vaksdal area in 1878. The husband’s name was Anders Andersen Bøe and his wife was Kari/Karen Kristensdatter Grøt. Census records show the family living in Bruvik, and they are listed in the Vaksdal bygdebøk.

I found Karen Bøe’s tombstone (1934) in Slekt og Data, along with pictures of tombstones of several of their children. It’s not clear to me if their graves would be in Dale or Vaksdal. Can anyone clarify?

Karen Bøe tombstone
https://www.disnorge.no/gravminner/bilde.php?id=2869602

Children (not all) of Anders and Karen Bøe
https://www.disnorge.no/gravminner/global1.php

There were at least two other children that do not appear in the search results above—Anne Marie and Konstanse. I believe that Anne Marie and her brother Albert came (separately) to the USA in early 1900s, but both eventually returned to Norway.

Also, I am interested in learning if there are any living descendants of any of the Bøe children. I’m not sure of the best way to find out. Any suggestions?

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2018 :  19:53:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The grave for Karen Bøe should be @ Dale Graveyard in Vaksdal.

Map

Vaksdal church has its own searchpage, and I can't find Karen there...? It's very rare to find a 80-year old grave in Norway. The graves are re-used after some years (20 +), if the deschendants don't pay a small fixed fee.

Children to Anders Andersen Bøe & Karen Kristensdr Grøth:

1. Anna Marie (1874-1954), married to Ole Havre, Bergen
2. Kristine Jørgine (1879-1881)
3. Kristine Jørgine (1882-1963). Born in USA. Married 1) to Per Herheim, Sogndal. Married 2) to Anders Bolstad
4. Tora Olivia (1884-1967), born in Dale.
5. Albert Johan (1887-1913). Resided some years in America, Dead on Dale.
6. Kristian Martin (1889-1949). Textile works, married to Agathe Eriksdr Jamne (1889-1971).
7. Anton Bernhard (1891-1895)
8. Constanse Alvilde (1894-1986),married to Harald Waage, Bergen.
9. Anton (1896-1896).

Solheim graveyard, Bergen

Edited by - jwiborg on 23/07/2018 21:12:01
Go to Top of Page

kurtfoss
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2018 :  22:24:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for finding and sharing the Waage gravestone in Bergen. I had not looked for that yet, so appreciate your assistance. I have since learned from another source that the gravestone for Karen Bøe has been taken down, as you had suggested. I have read about the Norwegian law regarding gravestones, so I understand why hers is gone. But I wonder about some of the other family gravestones from somewhat more recent times.

In any case, I’m particularly interested in determing whether there are any living descendants of the children of Anders and Karen Bøe, and I’m not sure the best way to proceed. I’ve reached out to a few organizations and people in the area who may have insights. But I realize July is a month when many Norwegians go on holiday, so not easy to contact them. I’m open to any suggestions.

I’m confused a little about where exactly the Bøe family was living, with various records and references mentioning Bruvik, Vaksdal and Dale.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2018 :  23:02:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Census-1900 shows them residing @ Dale textile factory in Dale township in Bruvik parish.

Bruvik municipality was closed down in 1964, and the area was split between the two new municipalites Vaksdal and Osterøy.
So you can say that they lived in Dale (township) in Vaksdal (municipality) in Hordaland (county).

Dale factory

Edited by - jwiborg on 23/07/2018 23:23:54
Go to Top of Page

kurtfoss
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2018 :  00:04:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again. I’d found some records that listed the family under Dale fabrikk, and I couldn’t understand how people were living at a factory. Looks like there was some sort of communal property—developed by a certain factory? Only for families employed at the factory? Different records describe Anders Bøe as a shoemaker, so that didn’t sound like a factory job...but maybe it was. Or he was a shoemaker by trainng, but ended up working for the company store in Dale? I’ll search for more information, but am glad to get any pointers from others with knowledge about life at Dale fabrikk.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2018 :  00:55:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might want to scroll through the image gallery to read about the Dale factory. (2nd image, hit right arrow)

The factory was started in 1879 by business man Peter Jebsen from Bergen. When he first came to Dale a few years earlier, he saw great potential for a textile factory there. The local river had a big waterfall that could provide electricity, and the locals had sheeps allover, so there were plenty of wool.
Machines were imported from England, and transported to Dale by ship and finally by horse and wagons to the location. Jebsen bought water-rights for the waterfall, and land next to it.
Around 1900, 550 people where employed at the factory, and the population in Dale township had increased from close to 0 to around 1400 in 20 years.

Before the factory, there were no houses to house the workers, so the factory owner had to build housing for all the people who was employed, at the same time as the factory was built.

Vaksdal bygdebok (p. 271) shows that Kristian Bøe bought the house with subfarmnumber 140 in 1934. I believe that is Parkvegen 7 in Dale (Dalekvam).
Go to Top of Page

kurtfoss
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2018 :  01:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had just found the Dale factory heritage pictures—fascinating. That explains a lot. Thanks for the additional details, and the link to Kristian’s house. You’re a great resource—thanks so much for all the help and information.
Go to Top of Page

lynn peterson432
Medium member

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2018 :  19:04:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the best way to find out if there living relatives is obituaries
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2018 :  21:56:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Constanse Alvilde & Harald Oskar Waage had 2 children:
1) Jan Waage, married to Berthe
2) Sølvi Waage (1930-), married to Kolbjørn Harry Langsholt (1923-2007) on 13 Apr 1952.

A myheritage website shows that Kolbjørn Harry Langsholt also was married a 2nd time to Tatiana Langsholt (1924-2001) from Russia, and that he has 5 children. Not sure if Sølvi or Tatiana are the mother of the children...
A sort of wild shot, but you could try to contact this person, and check if her mother was Sølvi Waage.

Kolbjørn Langsholt was an inventor, and said in an interview in 1995 that he has lived in Russia for the past years.

Edited by - jwiborg on 24/07/2018 23:07:47
Go to Top of Page

lynn peterson432
Medium member

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2018 :  01:13:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kurt you on facebook go there and type in langsholt quite a few come up
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2018 :  06:29:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lynn peterson432

kurt you on facebook go there and type in langsholt quite a few come up

Yes, and not all are related. The person I suggested is a qualified guess based on age and location.
Go to Top of Page

kurtfoss
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2018 :  15:48:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I had not yet come across information about the children of Harald and Constance Waage. That fills in some blanks, and gives me more names to pursue. Much obliged!
Go to Top of Page

kurtfoss
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2018 :  15:55:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding obituaries, I agree. In fact, that’s what led me to searching for Karen Bøe. Most of her family left Sogndal for America, and I thought only one brother had stayed in Norway. In an obituary for one of the sisters who emigrated to Iowa, it mentioned a sister in Norway named Karen Bøe. So if I could find more obituaries, I’m sure I could fill in more of her family’s tree—and learn if there are living descendants.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2018 :  16:23:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

https://www.nb.no/search?mediatype=aviser

You will find that most modern papers are only available to Norwegian IP addresses, but the OCR read text in small snippets are what's available to all.
Go to Top of Page

lynn peterson432
Medium member

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2018 :  19:53:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
on family search kolbjorn langsholt immigrated to the usa in1948
Go to Top of Page

lynn peterson432
Medium member

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2018 :  20:11:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anotherr idea is telephone and adress listening for langsholt in sharpsborg norway
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article