All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Seeking a translator
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ted Rolles
Medium member

Canada
75 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2018 :  18:27:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have three pages from a Bygdebok that I have unsuccessfully translated. I will post images of the pages below if anyone would be able to take the time to do this.

Ted Rolles
Medium member

Canada
75 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2018 :  18:47:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First page:
Go to Top of Page

Ted Rolles
Medium member

Canada
75 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2018 :  18:51:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Second page:
Go to Top of Page

Ted Rolles
Medium member

Canada
75 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2018 :  18:54:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Third page:
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2018 :  21:12:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why did the translation fail? This language is modern norwegian, and should be easy to translate using google translate or similar.

Edited by - jwiborg on 29/09/2018 21:19:13
Go to Top of Page

Ted Rolles
Medium member

Canada
75 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2018 :  22:52:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is what I translated from page 1, the bottom section:
92. Relles (Rydles). (Ln. 184 and 185). 1723 Roedloes, 1838 Rydloso, Rydloso (Ryduloys set with the adjective loose, meaning it to be missing). More Written in 1396 Røydholoysa, 1395 Rydulesi, 1593 Rosslos, 1668 Rolloes a. The name is first and foremost the first unknown, it is originally Roydu or Rydu, possibly it means rust on grass and grains. In 1664, owners: Skp. 2e, in 1668, went to Aasa Salmonsd. She lived at Selvik in Sande , and is mentioned elsewhere in the book. ("Church and Selvik farm.) The first user we hear about Selbjørn Nilsen was self-owned, but his children sold the farm in 1682 to the sheriff. In 1703 we see that the farm was horting to the king as The county governor is also in charge of 1724, but in 1728 the parish priest handed over the farm to Kristen Oise's Lamager. The farm is then left in the users own. Users: 1645 uses the Sebjørn Nilsen farm. He was born in 1604. Barn Halvor. Oluf Poulsen, Live and Aase. In 1679, Halvor uses 1682 to surrender Live o G Aase Sebjornsdotre at the guard, Anders Kopstad, the courtyard of the sheriff Ivar Hviid. It had previously been pledged. Halvor was a read user, but it has been a little bit for him. In 1684 he became a god, Marte Pedersd. Children: Jon Halvorsen, who traveled to the sea, Signe and to pay Mads Olsen Engelstrup4% rd. in the remaining tenth. Halvor Mari. Marte Pedersd. died in 1696, and then Halvor had to be in ruins
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2018 :  23:03:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a bad start. Besides Google Translate these web dictionary are good for single words that are hard to translate because they are specific to genealogy .

Link

Link

Link

You need to start translating these relatively simple passages. After a short time you will do fine at it. You can then ask for specific words or even sentences and you will get a better response.

Edited by - AntonH on 30/09/2018 01:41:06
Go to Top of Page

Ted Rolles
Medium member

Canada
75 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2018 :  23:12:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Rolles

I have three pages from a Bygdebok that I have unsuccessfully translated. I will post images of the pages below if any Norwegian scholars would be able to take the time to do this.

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2018 :  23:21:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is my quick look at the translation you have posted

Your translation rolls along fairly well until the sentence that begins " I 1703 ser vi at " The problem comes from the word hørte. To translate that you need to put into Google Search hørte til, it will then translate that to "belonged to ". A little later is the word bygselen. That means the lease. So the sentence means The property belongs to the king but "idet amtsforvalter råder" but the county administrator is in charge of it.

The translation gets a little botched right after that but essentially means after it is turned over to Kristen Olsen Lamager it is then turned over to the users.

The word eie is a complicated little word which basically means.

eie/eje – suffix to a farm name to indicate that this is a cotter’s place.

Then comes a short section that is fairly easy with the name of the user and his children and some of their spouses. However the translation left out the Tone g. m. which means the daughter Tone married with Oluf Poulson and is important in understanding the passage.

Again the translation goes a little off course.

But basically says that in 1679 Halvor was the user but in 1682 Live and Aasa surrendered the property to the guardian and to the sheriff Iver Hviid. The property had been pledged as a guarantee for a loan. Halvor was still the only user but it had become a bit much for him (smått ?). In 1684 he had to pay Mads for the remaining tenth. ie tithing, one tenth of one's income or harvest, payable to the church.

Your translation is " and then Halvor had to be in ruins" but probably is "Halvor had to pay the tax or debt for the farm".

It might be a bit of a struggle at first but try to translate the pages as best you can. Then ask for help on specific short sections.

Edited by - AntonH on 30/09/2018 02:10:06
Go to Top of Page

Ted Rolles
Medium member

Canada
75 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2018 :  01:18:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know it was a lot to ask, I wasn’t interested in botching the translations any further. Not knowing Norwegian I do not know the tricks such as putting “ Hørte til” to get proper outcomes. I also don’t know what is wrong or right except for the blatant obvious “In 1684 he became a god”. I’ve found a professional online Norwegian Translating Service that I will use, https://www.strakertranslations.com/languages/norwegian-translation-services/. I’ll let you all know how it turns out in case someone else in the future is looking for the same service. Thanks for your assistance I appreciate every time someone takes the time to respond, assist and educate.

Edited by - Ted Rolles on 30/09/2018 04:10:33
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article