All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Looking for Torbjorn Tarkjelson Tveit and family
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

maybellemn

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2019 :  15:56:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I can't thank you enough to have found all of this! I will be going thru this information now and try and solve this mystery to me. Thank you all for find all of this information! Last time I asked for information it took me 2 months of carefully going thru all of the information you all gave to me and I DID get that sorted out!
Go to Top of Page

maybellemn

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2019 :  16:19:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again I can't thank you all enough for this information. I guess I will be checking information in Blackduck, Bemidji MN and Monroe Co., Wisconsin. A bit ironic as I attended a volleyball tournament game last night and we played and won against Blackduck! The search is on for what happened to Torbjorn Tveit! He was a young man at that time and his brother was married to my Dad's aunt. I will also try to find the Haggland that is listed in ancestry too. Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2019 :  16:23:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a possible for the the daughter Torbjor in a later census:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MWB2-VBZ

She is listed as Tillie for her marriage to Gunder Bakke in 1901:
BELTRAMI A/209 01/24/1901 BAKKE, GUWEG JOHNSON HEGLOUD, TILLIE
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2019 :  17:19:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I think you have also found the daughter

Tillie Backe
in the Washington, Marriage Records, 1854-2013
Name: Tillie Backe
Maiden Name: Hegland
Spouse: G J Backe
Child: June E Backe

Birth date is close.

Tillie H Backe
in the U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current
Name: Tillie H Backe
Birth Date: 15 Sep 1876
Birth Place: Norway
Death Date: 11 Dec 1958
Death Place: Marion County, Oregon, United States of America
Cemetery: Belcrest Memorial Park
Burial or Cremation Place: Salem, Marion County, Oregon, United States of America
Has Bio?: N
Spouse: Gunder Backe
Children: Christine Gladys Backe
Selma J Backe
Gordon Jerome Backe

Edited by - AntonH on 25/10/2019 17:24:54
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2019 :  17:31:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the OP is interested in chasing down all the connections, here is a clue to the history of Gunder Bakke

Gunder Johnson Backe
in the U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
Name: Gunder Johnson Backe
Race: White
Birth Date: 3 May 1873
Birth Place: Norway
Father: John Backe
Mother: Sigred Sigurdson
SSN: 544244570
Notes: Jul 1943: Name listed as GUNDER JOHNSON BACKE

This would be my best guess from the list on Ancestry. Note he is also from Bygland, Aust-Agder.

Gunder Johnsen
in the Norway, Select Baptisms, 1634-1927
Name: Gunder Johnsen
Birth Date: 7 mai 1873 (7 May 1873)
Baptism Date: 22 mai 1873 (22 May 1873)
Baptism Place: Bygland, Aust-Agder, Norway
Father: John Knudsen
Mother: Sigri Syvertsdatter
FHL Film Number: 123514
Reference ID: Bk 8

Edited by - AntonH on 25/10/2019 17:36:05
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2019 :  18:37:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the various censuses Gunder states he came in 1898 and Tillie came in 1900.
Go to Top of Page

maybellemn

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2019 :  19:47:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see that I have a lot of checking to do! Please if you find more add to this as I have a week of games and will be checking on this at this site. My thanks to all -
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2019 :  02:55:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John Knudsen and family on Aasen in the 1865 Census.

1865 Census

Marriage of John and Sigrid in 1860. I also found a transcribed record on Ancestry for the same marriage and date but in 1861. That is not found in the original records in Digialarkvet.

Name: John Knudsen
Marriage Date: 28 mai 1860 (28 May 1860)
Marriage Place: Bygland,Aust-Agder,Norway
Spouse: Sigrid Syvertsdr
FHL Film Number: 311223

Farm name for John Knudsen is Bakke his father is Knud Gunnersen Bakke.

Farm name for Sigrid Syversdatter is Aasen and her father is Sivert Nielsen Aasen

Edited by - AntonH on 26/10/2019 03:13:37
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2019 :  06:46:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gunder's and Tillie's (Torbjor the younger) eldest two children were named Sigrid (later went by Selma) and John who died aged 12 from appendicitis. The daughter Gladys was also called Christine and she may have been blind and died tragically in a fire in her apartment.
Go to Top of Page

maybellemn

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2019 :  20:50:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another question or two - when I go to familysearch.org under your suggestions - it tells me to sign in (I do) but I don't know where to go after that to find the records you found - Did I explain that right? ALSO how do I find the census for a certain state, county etc. - it there one place to find it or do I have to go to different states?
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2019 :  00:53:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have registered and are signed in at family search, copy and paste the address (the link) into your browser window and it should take you to the right page.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2019 :  23:19:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is some information on the Torbjor from a Family Tree on Ancestry.com. As you can tell when you read it there is lots of confusion in the history of Torbjor.

"Mrs. John Norbo, a resident of Frohn township since 1894, passed away at her farm home at 5:30 Monday evening, June 19, after a short illness. Funeral services are to be held at 2 o'clock Friday afternoon at the Aardahl Lutheran church, with Rev. H. M. Bueide officiating. Interment will be in the Aardahl cemetery.
Born June 14, 1853, at Satersdahl, Norway, Mrs. Norbo was 86 years old. She came to America 54 years ago and was married to John Norbo at Crookston in 1893, moving to Frohn township in 1894 to take up a homestead with her husband and residing there until her death.
Surviving are four daughters, Mrs. Gunder Backe of Salem, Oregon; Mrs. Emma Korsvik of Minneapolis; Mrs. George Till of Fremont, Nebraska; and Mrs. Paul Harrieth of Bemidji; and four sons, Even of Blackduck, Edwin of Sacramento, Calif., and Joseph and Ingval of Bemidji. One son died in infancy and Mrs. Norbo's husband died four years ago. Survivors include ten grandchildren, also two brothers in Norway. ---Bemidji Pioneer, Tues., 20 Jun 1939

ANALYSIS BY CHARMIE BLANC: Torbjor's obituary tells us she came to America 54 years before her death in 1939 which calculates to be 1885. Yet, it also says she married John Norbo in 1893. The 1930 census says she was first married at age 28, which calculates to 1881. John was first married at 25 or 1885. The 1910 census shows both John and Torbjor as married 23 years to each other, or 1887. But Torbjor is listed as being in her second marriage. It seems likely she was married in Norway and had several children there before immigrating to the United States and marrying John in Crookston, Minnesota. It is also possible that the obituary contains a misprint and that the marriage took place earlier than 1893.
In the 1900 census, 3 children, Avan, Edwin and Emma are listed as stepchildren of John Norbo. Avan and Edwin are listed as born in Norway. Even Norbo is not found in this census year.
Later censuses list the children as sons and daughters of John. Only the eldest son, Even, claims birth in Norway in all records. I question whether Even and Avan are one person and listed as a female in 1900 census in error. However, in John Norbo's obituary a daughter is listed as Mrs. Teddy Bakke of Salem, Oregon. Son Even is not named. In Torbjor's obituary it lists a daughter as Mrs. Gunder Backe of Salem, Oregon. Even is listed as her son. I can find no record of Avan Bakke/Backe in Marion county, Oregon, records. I obtained the obituary of Gunder Backe from Salem newspaper and can find no connection."
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2019 :  23:55:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Might be Yankee editors unfamiliar with how Norwegian works and has evolved. Here's what Wikipedia says:

"Setesdal is a valley and a traditional district in Aust-Agder County in southern Norway. It consists of the municipalities of Bykle, Valle, Bygland, Iveland, and Evje og Hornnes. The Otra river flows through the valley of Setesdal into the sea near Kristiansand. Wikipedia"

So Satersdahl and Bygland are not mutually exclusive places.

"Teddy" might be a misread or interpretation of Tillie or Tilda, Torbjor's (the younger) adaptation of her name to English, rather than a garbling of Gunder's name.

The couple was married in 1901 in Beltrami county, exactly where Torbjor the senior was living. Perhaps Gunder's obit didn't mention the family's migration and other details.

The daughter Christine's obituary does not mention her parents but says: "Miss Backe was born Sept 26, 1911 in Thief River Falls, Minn. and lived 25 years in Salem before moving to Portland in 1945."
Oregonian Friday, Dec 08, 1972 Portland, OR Page: 55 col 5

And the family was mostly found with Bakke spelling until they went west, when they started using Backe.

In the 1895 census John Norbo says he has lived in the state of Minnesota for 11 years and only 1 year in the current enumeration district. No separate listing is recorded for Torbjor.

John and Torbjorg were married in Polk county, this from MOMS:
POLK B/501 03/01/1886 EVENSON, JOHN TVEDT, THORBJOR T

Edited by - jkmarler on 29/10/2019 12:50:50
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2019 :  21:26:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Birth year is a little off and middle initial should be a J not an I and the year is 1899 not 1898 but other than that this looks like Gunder leaving Kristiansand for Minnesota.

Gunder Bakke

Edited by - AntonH on 29/10/2019 21:26:55
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2019 :  16:26:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the 1895 census about John Norbo is correct then he should be in the 1885 state census. There are more than a couple of possibles.

John Evans b Wisc 1860:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQXX-J9P

John Evenson b Norway abt 1862 in Polk county:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQX2-H4M
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article