All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Looking for Torbjorn Tarkjelson Tveit and family
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

maybellemn

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2019 :  14:48:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh so much information! This is what I have been able to find -with all your help, matches on ancestry, find a grave etc.

1. Torbjorg Tellefsdatter Kvinen and Torbjorn Tarkjelson Tveit were married in 1882 - their son, Eivind was born 4 mos earlier in Feb. They all left for America in 1882 and did not keep up with the families in Norway.
2. Torbjorg had a daughter called Torbjorg born in 1876 and she lived with her mother's mother and father (my great grandpa was also her father- story told 3 times in the Bygland Books)
3. Torbjorg married John Norbo in 1885 and had about 6 more children and he must have adopted Eivind as it is Eivind (Evan, Avan) Norbo.
4. Still don't know what happened to Torbjorn T Tveit - did he die or were they divorced. I still have to check out Bemidji one day.
5. Three of John and Torbjorgs children were born in Crookston, Mn - another lists MN as birthplace- and another child listed McIntosh, Mn as their birthplace. I am from McIntosh, MN so apparently they were living here at the same time my Great Grandfather and Mother came over in 1882. Interesting?
6. Torbjorg (her daughter - and would be a great aunt to me) came over in 1900 at the age of about 24 and lived up by Thief River Falls, MN Was married about 1902 and had 4-6 children. I am still checking out things for her too.

I can't thank you all for your information. If you find more please add and I will be checking on this site. Am I doing this correctly? I do think I need to go to the courthouse in Crookston and Bemidji.

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  15:34:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If John Norbo is living in Minnesota in 1884 and marries Torbjorg in 1886, it seems most likely that he and Torbjorg didn't connect in Wisconsin, but connected in Minnesota.

Their first 3 children were also born in Polk county, Minnesota which roughly matches the 1 year residence in the Beltrami census district in 1895.

Have you looked for Torbjorn in the ELCA funerals records database available at Ancestry?
Go to Top of Page

maybellemn

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  20:10:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just have him in my ancestry - how would you look for the ELCA records?
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9225 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2019 :  21:47:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Ancestry.com go to Search and then All Collections

On the right hand side in Special Collections click on +Card Catalog

In Card Catalog type in ELCA in the box for Keyword(s)

There will be two different ELCA set of records Swedish and Norwegian, click on

U.S., Evangelical Lutheran Church in America Church Records, 1781-1969

That will then give you a search page for the ELCA records.

Edited by - AntonH on 01/11/2019 21:48:20
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article