All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 July 28 2020 in Oslo Finding Albertina Amundsen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2020 :  19:12:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christiania is the old tyme name of Oslo.

I don't know if Daniel Tollefsen dies in Norway in 1858 if that is him leaving in 1853. See above. Maybe he died in US?
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2020 :  19:15:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Randall Fisher

His son Carl Gustav is born (Wisconsin - I still believe).

Do you agree so far?

Carl Gustav is baptized in Oslo. I doubt strongly that a family would return to Norway just to baptize a child. Lots of Norwegian Lutheran pastors and congregations in US by 1859....
Go to Top of Page

Randall Fisher

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2020 :  19:25:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. Ancestry does not show Daniel Tollefsen and family traveling to America. But maybe he does to visit his all his kids. It shows Daniel Tollefsen died on February 10, 1858, in Nannestad, Akershus, Norway, when he was 59 years old.

Dr. Randall Fisher
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2020 :  19:35:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a family tree at familysearch.org about this family:
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pedigree/landscape/KH98-812
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2020 :  19:43:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Randall Fisher

Hi. Ancestry does not show Daniel Tollefsen and family traveling to America. But maybe he does to visit his all his kids. It shows Daniel Tollefsen died on February 10, 1858, in Nannestad, Akershus, Norway, when he was 59 years old.

Here is the page on which a 10 Feb 1858 Nannestad death would exist. There is no Daniel Tollefsen listed, nor is there any death recorded for 10 Feb 1858.

SAO, Nannestad prestekontor Kirkebøker, F/Fa/L0011: Ministerialbok nr. I 11, 1850-1859, s. 213
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20060307030658

What is the source for the 10 Feb 1858 death? A Bible death entry seldom gives a place of the demise about which confusion might be made regards location.

18 Billion + records does not mean Ancestry has it all. Here is a link to the passenger register here at NorwayHeritage to the direct from Norway to North America voyages, the majority end in Quebec and in 1853 there was no requirement to keep or file a passenger list in Canada, so you can see mostly only those ending in New York have a transcribed passenger list, US did require it:
http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_year.asp?ye=1853

Edited by - jkmarler on 27/01/2020 19:55:04
Go to Top of Page

Randall Fisher

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2020 :  19:58:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I cannot see the source of Daniel Tollesfen death. But another Ancestry person says he died in Wisconsin. You found that he traveled to America with is wife and two kids (9-12 on log). Do you see if Gudbjør Olsdatter dies in America or Norway? Is says her birth is 9 Aug 1793 • Homble, Nannestad, Akershus, Norway. Then residence 1860 • Scandinavia, Waupaca, Wisconsin, USA. But death in Homle Nannestad Nannestad Akershus,,,Norway. No date.

Dr. Randall Fisher
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2020 :  20:06:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay family history is seldom perfect but always in the state of being perfected. Family trees online are sometimes okay and sometimes not. Caveat Emptor. Check out all the details before you accept or reject or assume anything. So the story about Carl Gustav coming to Norway to die struck me as incongruous, so I explored. That is what you should be doing, too.

You have 8 hours for a bucket list trip in Norway. You don't want to waste it, right on incorrect venues?

Here is the reference to Gudbjor in the 1860 Scandinavia Waupaca County:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MW9D-LV2

Family search is a free view site but you must register and check in to search. They have 2 Billion + records

Ancestry has the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran church) parish registers in a searchable database. That base contains some church registers from Scandinavia, Wisconsin. Might be worth a look. Strange that Danielsen became Donaldson, though, probably a Yankee doing the recording. Or its the dirty little secret....

Edited by - jkmarler on 27/01/2020 20:20:26
Go to Top of Page

Randall Fisher

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2020 :  20:16:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are absolutely correct. From the Pentagon I rarely have time to travel. We have been waiting for a ship into Norway for a very long time. I am very excited! I am a little disappointed that originally my own grandmother had a letter written from Roald Amundsen to "Cousin" Albertine talking about life. So in 2012 I tried to solicit help here, but found that my grandmother might have been dreaming. With today's DNA technically, I thought I would try again with this blog. But I hit another dead-end using Ancestry trying to connect with Roald Amundsen. It is too bad that Roald Amundsen is NOT in Ancestry DNA. Unless do you know if Norway has it's own DNA?

So instead, I am just has happy to discover my 2nd Great-Grandmother Albertine. And the beautiful country of Norway. I am very very excited. Thank you so much for helping me. I greatly appreciate it!

Dr. Randall Fisher
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2020 :  21:42:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
It is too bad that Roald Amundsen is NOT in Ancestry DNA. Unless do you know if Norway has it's own DNA?

Well maybe not its own DNA but the Norwegian males usually have a Y DNA from one of these three groups. R1a, R1b or I. They also have their own DNA site. It is affiliated with the ftdna site.

It is called Norges Pojekt or Norway Project. You can easily add your DNA to the list of members. Here is a link, there are some pages in English.

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/norway/about/background
Go to Top of Page

Randall Fisher

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2020 :  22:08:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. OK, thank you for the link. I will upload my DNA.

Back to young Carl. I have a picture from my Grandmother Parks. Her grandmother is Albertina(e), the lady we have been researching. The picture says "Of Christian Danielson and wife Albertina Amunden Danielson and first son Carl Gristave. Picture made in Norway around 1865 or 6. Carl died in Norway before parents came to America. They were the parents of Elizabeth Christine, my mother." And she signed it: "Julia Constance Kittredge Parks." Then there is a correction added saying: "Records show that Peter Danielson, their third son, was born in Medford, Wisconsin in 1863. So this (photo) can't be in Norway in 1865". Also, my uncle just responded saying he recalls Albertina and Christian's their first son was named "Carl" and died some time after he was born in Norway. My Grandmother Parks also said their son's death was part of the reason they left Norway. Also, she said that they had several more children, including another son who they also named "Carl."

So, do you see a "Carl Gristave" born in Norway and shortly died afterwards? Then the story is Albertina had another son later and kept the name Carl for him. Does that all make logical sense?

Dr. Randall Fisher
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2020 :  22:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Concerning Christopher Danielsen in America. I spent some time the last few days looking at the Trees on Ancestry.com for Christopher Danielsen. There seem to be two Christopher or Christian Danielsen living in nearby counties in Wisconsin in the time frame of about 1850 to 1920. Many if not most of the trees on Ancestry seem to have confused the two and their families.

One of the families seems to have spent most of there time is Waupaca County Wisconsin. This is likely that Christopher Danielsen.

Christopher Danielson
in the U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current
Name: Christopher Danielson
Birth Date: 12 Apr 1833
Birth Place: Oslo, Oslo kommune, Oslo fylke, Norway
Death Date: 3 Dec 1921
Death Place: Waupaca, Waupaca County, Wisconsin, United States of America
Cemetery: Danielson Family Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place: St. Lawrence, Waupaca County, Wisconsin, United States of America
Has Bio?: Y

He came to America in 1853 and in 1861 married a Kersti Davidson in Waupaca County.

The other Christian Danielsen spent most of his time in Taylor County, Wisconsin. The two counties are not very far apart. This Christian Danielsen did not leave much of a trail of records so it was fairly easy for the managers of the various trees to mix data from the two familes.

Edited by - AntonH on 27/01/2020 22:38:08
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2020 :  22:40:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The family tree I linked to at familysearch.org has two Carls the first one born 1859 and second one born 1861. Naming another child after a deceased prior child is done a lot.

Regards the picture, is there any imprint of the photographer on it?

Edited by - jkmarler on 27/01/2020 22:43:04
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2020 :  22:53:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Family Search Tree has both families listed. However they have the Christoper Danielsen born in 1833 listed as born in Nannestad not Oslo as do some of the Ancestry trees. They are likely correct and that both Christopher of Waupaca and Christian of Taylor are brothers.

Here is the baptism of Christopher. Nannestad 1833

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20061106010698
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2020 :  22:59:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Listed as emigrated in Nannestad Bygdebok:

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2020 :  23:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Turns out that Christian Danielsen and Albertine also lived in Waupaca County. Seems to be the right family even if ages and spelling are a little off. Charles born in Norway . Peter and Oscar born in Wisconsin.

Chris Danilson
in the 1870 United States Federal Census
Name: Chris Danilson
Age in 1870: 45
Birth Year: abt 1825
Birthplace: Norway
Dwelling Number: 95
Home in 1870: St Lawrence, Waupaca, Wisconsin
Race: White
Post Office: Ogdensburgh
Father of Foreign Birth: Y
Mother of Foreign Birth: Y
Male Citizen over 21: Y
Personal Estate Value: 350
Real Estate Value: 600
Inferred Spouse: Albetina Danilson
Inferred Children: Charles Danilson
Peter Danilson
Oscar Danilson
Anna C Danilson
Household Members:
Name Age
Chris Danilson 45
Albetina Danilson 27
Charles Danilson 9
Peter Danilson 7
Oscar Danilson 5
Anna C Danilson 2

A Joseph born in 1871. I assume the mother is still Albertine.

Joseph Danielson
in the Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1801-1928
Name: Joseph Danielson
Race: White
Birth Date: 1 Jan 1871
Birth Place: Waupaca, Wisconsin
Father: Christian Danielson
Mother: Christina
FHL Film Number: 1305605

Edited by - AntonH on 27/01/2020 23:29:34
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article