All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Identity of John Beman
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NancyC
Medium member

Norway
198 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2022 :  11:59:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone help with figuring out the identity of John Beman, born in Norway about 1790-1800, who immigrated to the US in 1811 and settled in Boston, where he had a family. He may have been a seaman who settled in the US, as many were in this early period. In 1861 he was working as the watchman on the steamer W.M. Morrison, which apparently sailed the Mississippi. Around June 6, 1861, Beman was detained by a group of people in Mound City, Arkansas, because he had expressed Union sentiments. The next day, he was murdered by hanging.

The episode was reported in many newspapers, both in the Union and Confederacy. I have found numerous articles on newspapers.com, but since this is a paid service, I will quote one of the articles:

"News has been received at Cairo of another murderous and horrible outrage by the Seccessionists, traitors and rebels, perpetrated at Mound City, Arkansas, this week. An old, gray-headed man, aged over sixty years, a watchman on board the steamer W.M. Morrison, tied up by the rebels at that place, let slip some Union sentiments in their presence. He was soon surrounded by ruffians, who told him they were going to hang him forthwith. The poor old man thought they were jesting, and said, 'Gentlemen, surely you don't mean what you say. I am a poor, old gray-headed man, always have worked hard and made an honest living; surely you would not hang me for the expressions of my old honest heart?' The poor old man could not believe that the demons could perpetrate such a murder until he felt the rope round his neck. The end of the rope was thrown over the limb of a tree, and the demoniac crowd of devils pulled him up struggling and dying until dead. Several who were commanded to assist slunk away in horror and dread. All these deeds will soon be avenged. These men regard not even the gray hairs, the sacred rights of families, or the tears and graves of widows and orphans. There is no doubt about this fact being true, as it came from an eye-witness." (Sacramento Bee, 25 June 1861)

Another article says that Beman came from Boston, MA, where he had friends living. Others say he had children living there, and that Boston would see to the care of his children. I have not found any articles telling about what happened in the aftermath.

Thanks for any help and ideas in finding out who Beman was and where he was from in Norway!

NancyC
Medium member

Norway
198 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2022 :  12:26:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are several sources available on ancestry.com that may be the Beman I am looking for. The ones below look most relevant.

There is a marriage record for a John Beman, who married Mary Ann Richardson in Boston, 10 May 1835, and there is a John Beman in Boston in the 1820 census. There is another record of a Scandinavian seaman, as below. But this may be a Swede, who is also recorded as arriving in 1835 from Gothenburg. Still, it might be the Norwegian man.
Name: John P. Beeman
Birth Year: abt 1800
Arrival Year: 1835
Arrival Place: Boston, Massachusetts
Primary Immigrant: Beeman, John P
Source Publication Code: 6410.30
Annotation: In an effort to stop British impressment of sailors, a register was kept of all seamen who presented proof of U.S. citizenship. Many sailors became U.S. citizens during this time. Lists or abstracts of registered seamen were sent to the U.S. state departm
Source Bibliography: OLSSON, NILS WILLIAM. "Naturalized Scandinavian Seamen in Boston, 1815-1840." In Swedish American Genealogist, vol. 1:3 (Sept. 1981), pp. 125-133.

In directories for Boston, a John Beman lives on Linn Street and Foster Place, 1820-23.

There is also a naturalization record for a John P. Beeman, 10 December 1835, where he renounces the King of Sweden, who was also the King of Norway at the time. (available on ancestry.com https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/2361/images/007221588_00020?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=32aac7a7a49e2ed2eb78b2e868091461&usePUB=true&_phsrc=DUP289&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&_gl=1*6mkfth*_ga*NDEzMjUwMTU3LjE2MzI4NTQ3NTE.*_ga_4QT8FMEX30*MTY1MTIyNjM2My4zLjEuMTY1MTIyNzQ4MC4w&pId=1207116
Go to Top of Page

NancyC
Medium member

Norway
198 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2022 :  12:30:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Link to "Naturalized Scandinavian Seamen in Boston, 1815-1840" https://digitalcommons.augustana.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1268&context=swensonsag

Beeman is listed as from Gothenburg, but this is probably based on the naturalization document and may not be correct.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2022 :  17:26:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you looked at this record.

John P. Beeman
in the U.S. and Canada, Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s
Detail Source
Name: John P. Beeman
Birth Year: abt 1800
Arrival Year: 1835
Arrival Place: Boston, Massachusetts
Primary Immigrant: Beeman, John P
Source Publication Code: 6410.30
Annotation: In an effort to stop British impressment of sailors, a register was kept of all seamen who presented proof of U.S. citizenship. Many sailors became U.S. citizens during this time. Lists or abstracts of registered seamen were sent to the U.S. state departm
Source Bibliography: OLSSON, NILS WILLIAM. "Naturalized Scandinavian Seamen in Boston, 1815-1840." In Swedish American Genealogist, vol. 1:3 (Sept. 1981), pp. 125-133.
Household Members
John P. Beeman

https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/704273:7486?tid=&pid=&queryId=ae2d9d1a16cc50dbe66eea90339185c6&_phsrc=KXn1&_phstart=successSource
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2022 :  17:32:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This Naturalization Record gives his birth date as 12 Dec 1800.

John P Beeman
in the U.S., Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992 (Indexed in World Archives Project)
Name: John P Beeman
Naturalization Age: 35
Record Type: Naturalization
Birth Date: 12 Dec 1800
Birth Place: Sweden
Naturalization Date: 20 Dec 1835
Court District: Massachusetts

https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/3462044:1629?tid=&pid=&queryId=e471ff479bde044d9cd5311f79e93971&_phsrc=KXn6&_phstart=successSource
Go to Top of Page

NancyC
Medium member

Norway
198 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2022 :  16:46:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Anton H, for these sources! I have seen these on Ancestry. There is a good chance the this Swede is actually a Norwegian and the guy I am looking for. It is still not easy to figure out what the name of this John Beeman/Beman was. It is my understanding that a good many of the Norwegian seamen who settled in the US before 1825 were from southern coastal Norway and Rogaland. The birthdate of 12 Dec 1800 is a clue, but it would still take a long time to go through church birth records for the considerable number of churches in this area!

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2022 :  21:13:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A long shot : Jon Pedersen
https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/255/pd00000011415907
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article