All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Kiwi Vikings & Aussies
 Andrew Hanson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7766 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2023 :  16:47:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ToreL

About the father's name: As they were used in the eighteen hundreds, the Norwegian sen-names can be understood in two ways: as patronymics; Anders Hansen is always the son of Hans <simething>, or as "set" surnames, inherited from father to children "as is". For a boy born on a farm around 1840, the first interpretation is nost likely, in the absence of other info.

Now there is the wedding certificate giving his father's name as Thomas Hansen, but I believe we should consider the possibility that it was really Hans Thomasen but the English clerk got confused by the unmatching surnames an "corrected" it.

Well Anders would have been 5 only when his father died. As an exercise try to recall your memories from age 5, sometimes possible and sometimes not.

Regards the name you chose in America it often happens parents inherit from their children!
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7766 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2023 :  17:02:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carlse

This is all so exciting! We all have 16 2x great grandparents, and I only know 15. I’m missing my two times great grandmother who was married to Thomas. I had wondered whether her name was Ingeborg as where would my English mother have got the idea for that name. Interestingly my dad had a sister named Isabel. Sadly dad (who was a lot older than mum) died in 1960 when I was very young, so no info there.
The explanation as to names has been interesting, so Andrew was most likely Anders, and his father Hans Thomason, I have searched Ancestry and never sure how to progress. Regards to all, Carole

The woman who was married to Thomas Eriksen was Sibille Nilsdatter according to the bygdebok and they are the parents of Hans Christian Thomasen, the father of Anders Hansen.

Anders' mother, Gunild Marie Andersdatter, was still living in 1865 in Horten. It's possible, if there is an estate record for her at her death, that it might mention her son and his location. That would be a more solid clue if he is mentioned specifically as being in England, but if not, another piece of circumstantial information.
Go to Top of Page

Carlse
Starting member

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2023 :  21:36:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello JKMarler and ToreL many thanks for your help. From what I can understand Hans Christian Thomasen born 1799 died aged only 42 in 1842, and is possibly the Thomas Hanson (farmer) my 2 x great grandfather, who was married to second wife Gunild Marie. She remarried Hans Pedersen after his death. Am I reading correctly that Gunild Marie’s maiden name was Andersdatter? My great grandfather would have only been about 2 in 1840 when his dad died. I can’t speak Norwegian so unfortunately couldn’t read some of the links. Wonder why Andrew/Anders left Norway in 1861 approximately to live and work in County Durham as a coal miner, an extremely hard occupation. Thanks again, Carole
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7766 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2023 :  22:33:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Anders Hansen we're exploring from Ramnes Norway, later possibly Horten, since he registered in Horten when he became a sailor and he was born in 1837 so a bit older than the records in England indicate.

This Anders Hansen's mother's maiden name is Andersdatter indicating her father's name of Anders. On hers and Hans Christian's marriage record her father is identified as Anders Olsen. So this Anders Hansen was named for his maternal grandfather.

This Anders Hansen became a seaman in 1860 (the date is in his Horten sailing record). He went on two voyages, one of which he went AWOL in 1861 at a port beginning with the letter H which we think is actually Hartlepool. Hartlepool is in Durham where your Andrew Hansen settled.

Granted coal mining is difficult but he was a stepson to his mother's new husband and maybe didn't feel welcome enough to continue to stay in the new family.

By age 15 as children reach confirmation age in some families there is a big push to get them out of the house and supporting themselves.

This Anders Hansen no longer had access to the "family" farm Fjelebuen that had belonged to his father as it was sold in 1845, he would have moved on with his mother who married another and had additional children with him until he was considered of age. He had no farm and Horten is on the ocean so would be logical to try it out as an occupation. Sea life is also harsh, perhaps 2 voyages and he'd had enough?
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
822 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2023 :  23:52:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Forgot to mention I did a DNA test, I am 20% Norwegian! I seem to have a connection to Upper Telemark & Vestfold and Rollag, Tinn & Notodden. My dad was also called Andrew (born UK) and when I was born Mum wanted to call me Ingeborg, dad said no! Unfortunately I can’t speak Norwegian but it was interesting to read one Andrew Hanson jumped ship in 1861, as my great grandfather arrived in UK that same year. Regards Carole

There is a Geni profile for Gunild Andersdatter, administered by her great great grandson. You could contact him and ask if he has taken a DNA test himself at the same provider as you did.

Edit: Assuming this is indeed the same Gunild Marie Andersdatter. Do we have any confirmation of this beyond name plus year and parish of birth?

Edited by - ToreL on 19/07/2023 14:12:43
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7766 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2023 :  21:11:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Forgot to mention I did a DNA test, I am 20% Norwegian! I seem to have a connection to Upper Telemark & Vestfold and Rollag, Tinn & Notodden. My dad was also called Andrew (born UK) and when I was born Mum wanted to call me Ingeborg, dad said no! Unfortunately I can’t speak Norwegian but it was interesting to read one Andrew Hanson jumped ship in 1861, as my great grandfather arrived in UK that same year. Regards Carole

There is a Geni profile for Gunild Andersdatter, administered by her great great grandson. You could contact him and ask if he has taken a DNA test himself at the same provider as you did.

Edit: Assuming this is indeed the same Gunild Marie Andersdatter. Do we have any confirmation of this beyond name plus year and parish of birth?

Circumstances point to her being the correct one. At her marriage to Hans Christians Thomasen, her father is named Arne Olsen, she born 1817 Vaale. When Gunhild married in 1848 to Hjan / Jan Pederson she is listed as widow and a resident on Fjelleboen--the family farm of Hans Christian Thomassen.

A dodsfallsprotokol for her might have information tying Anders to her...
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
822 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2023 :  23:06:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

quote:

quote:

Circumstances point to her being the correct one. At her marriage to Hans Christians Thomasen, her father is named Arne Olsen, she born 1817 Vaale. When Gunhild married in 1848 to Hjan / Jan Pederson she is listed as widow and a resident on Fjelleboen--the family farm of Hans Christian Thomassen.

A dodsfallsprotokol for her might have information tying Anders to her...

Sounds quite convincing. I haven't discovered her death date, but it must have been after the 1891 census; this search and this return her entries in five censuses from 1865 to 1891, apparently all at the same location.
Go to Top of Page

Carlse
Starting member

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2023 :  23:17:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you been able to find Anders Hanson on the 1841 census showing Hans Christian Thomasen and Gunild Marie as his parents? Sounds like 1837 was mentioned here as his DOB, whereas in UK census records it appears to be 1840. I half expected the mother of Anders to be called Ingaborg, as my mother considered that name for me, but it seems like she was called Gunild.. Just a thought but do you know the name of Hans Christian Thomason’s first wife? Incase she was Anders’ mother, and not Gunild. Now I understand Norwegian patronymic naming it does make it clear why on Ancestry I couldn’t find Thomas!
In England I’ve looked around cemeteries and found the graves of my 4 x great grandparents, searching in Norway is harder, so thanks very much for generously giving your time. Regards Carole
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7766 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2023 :  01:11:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Norway's censuses are taken more irregularly than Britain's. There is not an 1841 census.

I have looked for a confirmation record for Anders Hansen b 1837 in Ramness but have not yet found, now done see below). Anders's eldest half sibling from his mother's second marriage was born in Ramnes in 1850. The next surviving half sibling from that family, according to the 1865 census was born in Horten in 1853 but online records at the digitalarkivet do not have birth/ baptism from Horten until 1855.

#17 Anders Hansen confirmation:
Ramnes kirkebøker, SAKO/A-314/F/Fa/L0005: Parish register (official) no. I 5, 1841-1861, p. 562-563
Quick link: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20061117040086

His residence in the confirmation record is Horten.

There is one Anders Hansen b 1837 (but birth date appears differently than expected to be this Anders) leaving the Ramnes parish for Horten in 1852. Might he him, but don't know for certain.
Ramnes kirkebøker, SAKO/A-314/F/Fa/L0005: Parish register (official) no. I 5, 1841-1861, p. 698-699
Quick link: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20061117040139
Departure 6 Sept 1852 Udflyttede column

Edited by - jkmarler on 20/07/2023 01:39:07
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7766 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2023 :  01:38:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is Gunhild Marie's death record in Horten #19 died 20 April 1897 lower half of page:
Horten kirkebøker, SAKO/A-348/F/Fa/L0005: Parish register (official) no. 5, 1896-1904, p. 316
Quick link: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20060516070007

Here is her obit but Anders is not mentioned:
https://www.nb.no/items/3b9a80a3646ad3eee98a5c58ec69b238?page=1&searchText=%22jansen%22

The named survivors are Stina and her husband M Olsen; G Jansen and Anna Markusen Jansen; Karoline Johannessen

Dodsfallsprotokol #20 Gunild Marie Andersen in April:
Borre lensmannskontor, SAKO/A-533/H/Ha/L0003: Dødsfallsprotokoll, 1894-1902, p. 21
Quick link: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/sk10101301030024

Unfortunately, only the two named in her obit are mentioned and not by name.

Jan Pedersen the step dad's dodsfallsprotokol #3 in 1884 survived by widow and 3 grown children, one of which is at sea.
Mellom Jarlsberg sorenskriveri, SAKO/A-132/H/Ha/Haa/Haab/L0001: Dødsfallsprotokoll, landdistriktet, 1863-1905, p. 146
Quick link: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/sk60054337000153

Edited by - jkmarler on 20/07/2023 06:02:51
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7766 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2023 :  04:16:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, so have you found Andrew Hansen in the 1901 or later censuses in England? Or do you know when he died?

Edited by - jkmarler on 20/07/2023 04:23:54
Go to Top of Page

Carlse
Starting member

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2023 :  15:38:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, Andrew Hanson died March 1907 aged 66. Death registration was in Houghton-Le-Spring County Durham vol 10a page 323. It says estimated year of birth about 1841. I assumed he was born 1840 as in the 1881 census his age was 41, however having checked both the 1891 and 1901 census the estimated year of birth was 1837.
I couldn’t find Andrew on the 1871 census on Ancestry, but have found Andrew on Find my past, occupation Mariner, living with wife Isabella and son Tom. Once again birth year estimated as 1841, as he was 30. They were living in West Hartlepool Durham.

Edited by - Carlse on 21/07/2023 16:25:23
Go to Top of Page

Carlse
Starting member

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2023 :  12:30:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, just had a slight lightbulb moment! I’ve just remembered my Dad’s sister telling us their Norwegian grandfather was a ship’s captain (slight promotion from seaman) and that he should have inherited family money, but didn’t. Just occurred to me that could have been the family farm, sold after his father’s death.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7766 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2023 :  20:05:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The half sister Johanne Andrea Hansdatter b 1831 of Anders Hansen b 1837, died in 1865. Her widower is found in the 1865 census but there appears to be no children living with him.

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/census/person/pf01038103005468
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7766 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2023 :  20:12:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is an "Anders Hansen" who is fadder (witness or godfather) to Simen, son of Jan Pedersen and Gunild Marie Andersdatter #255
Borre kirkebøker, SAKO/A-338/F/Fa/L0006: Ministerialbok nr. I 6, 1852-1862, s. 36
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20051027010039

And also an Anders Hansen fadder (witness or godparent) to Gustav another son of Jan Pedersen and Gunild Marie Andersdatter # 164
Borre kirkebøker, SAKO/A-338/F/Fa/L0006: Ministerialbok nr. I 6, 1852-1862, s. 145
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20051027010153

Edited by - jkmarler on 23/07/2023 01:48:56
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article