All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Looking for Bergen/Olstad family in Alberta?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Khristiane
Starting member

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2003 :  19:06:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was doing some research on my family when I came across a Nels (Rev. N.J.L) Bergen from Sweden and Emma Magda (Olstad) Bergen from Minnesota they met and married in Alberta Canada and there life was quite an interesting one, information taking up a couple of pages in one of the local history books. From what I read his family was from Sweden and he went to USA then off to Canada after a while. She was from Minnesota USA (parents are presummed from Norway) then went to Alberta Canada.

I was just curious if this might help anyone out.
you can contact me if there are any ?
Khristiane

Ken Swanson
New on board

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  11:17:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This posting has been a BIG help to me, as I welcome any information on my long deceased grandfather (who passed away 4 years before I was born in 1949). I am the youngest son from his and Emma's 3rd youngest child, and have no parents, aunts, or uncles remaining who can pass on information about Granddad.

I did know that he was a minister in 1916 in Red Deer , AB when conscription was enacted. The Dioceses for Canada's Baptist Church instructed the local ministers to 'help the young men of the congregation to justify killing German young men', and to 'assuage the moral questions and doubts of killing other human beings'. My Grandfather flatly refused these instructions, saying that the Bible said in the Ten Commandments: "Thou Shalt Not Kill", and that this was a commandment he would not break.

He was soon relieved of his ordainment in the Baptist church, and was unable to find a position as a minister in Alberta after his failure to follow the Church's instructions, and was blacklisted by the religious community in general. He did not give up preaching, however, and frequented the lakes of Central Alberta where he would give a Sunday sermon to anyone who would listen, speaking from a tree stump or the back of a pickup truck.

I have remained proud of his moral commitment since my uncle told me of it some 20 years ago, but I realize that a lot is owed to Emma, who raised 10 children through hard times (including the 1930's) with very little money and a lot of hard work.

Thanks again for your posting! :' )
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  12:52:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you know when about Emma Magda Olstad was born.

In 1865 there were 33 people with last name Olstad living in Norway and 655 people living on different Olstad farms.
In 1900 there were 289 persons with last name Olstad and 455 people living in different Olstad farms.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  13:29:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A shot in the dark from LDS records, likley wrong since Canada is´t mentioned, but the information from the submitter can be incomplete.

Emma Olstad b. Jan. 28. 1895, Norway, Fillmore County Minn. d July. 1984 in Houston, Minn. born to Christian H. Olstad and Marie Olstad (bap. Marie Bye).
The initial H could mean his fathers given name started with H.
Christian Olstad was born ab. 1863 in Norway, Minn.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

Ken Swanson
New on board

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2012 :  22:32:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kċarto;
My Grandmother's family did pass through Minnesota on their way to Alberta Canada, and I think my Grandfather did to. However, by 1909 he was preaching in Alberta, and was already married to Emma, and hopefully she was more than 14 years old by 1909, as the Emma that you described would have been. Nevertheless, thanks for helping and taking the time to share the information.

Her father would have been Ludvig Olstad, and he ended up settling in New Norway, Alberta, named thus because of the large settlement of Norwegians there, many of whom came to Alberta via Minnesota when land incentives were given by the government early in the 1900's.
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2012 :  23:00:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps Ludvig Olstad was Ludvig Olsen born Nov. 15. 1856 on farm Lĝkeneie.
Ludvig age 10 with parents and siblings 1865 on Olstad in Ringsaker municipality.
Parents; Ole Mikkelsen and Elie Larsdatter.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 30/07/2012 13:08:58
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2012 :  14:43:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found this info online today.
It confirm my posting reg. Ludvig Olstad aside a misspelling of parents lastname.

Info also tells that Ella Olstad was Eli Pederson Moen born Sept. 3. 1862 in the district of Gudbrandsdalen.

Eli Pedersdatter Moen was from Ringebu municipality, b. Sept. 3. on farm Trĝstagermoen to Peder Eriksen and Marit Johnsdatter, see #106

The parents left Trĝstagermoen with 6. children; Edvard, Anund, Eli, Mathea, Ingeborg and Marie and em. June 15.1871, see right page #23-30

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 30/07/2012 15:04:18
Go to Top of Page

VirtualGoddess
New on board

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2014 :  22:54:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello!

I have quite a bit of information on N.J.L Bergan and Emma Magda Olstad in my family tree on ancestry.ca.

Nels was my great grandfather.

If you send me your email, I can add you as a guest to my tree and you can see what information I have. Shecasper21@gmail.com.
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2014 :  00:28:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since your lastname is Gotaas and it is your first visit in Norway Heritage.

The Gotaas Family was investigated in this forum ca 5-6 years ago.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

VirtualGoddess
New on board

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2014 :  00:49:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for more information on:

Eli Pedersdatter Moen was from Ringebu municipality, b. Sept. 3. on farm Trĝstagermoen to Peder Eriksen and Marit Johnsdatter, see #106

The parents left Trĝstagermoen with 6. children; Edvard, Anund, Eli, Mathea, Ingeborg and Marie and em. June 15.1871, see right page #23-30
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2014 :  12:22:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found Eli on #117.

The family left Trĝstagermoen and went to "America".

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 20/09/2014 12:29:12
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article