All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 John Michaelson (finding a Norwegian)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

oldtime54

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  19:05:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My ggg - grandfather was John Michaelson. He married Sarah Jane Lawyer in Sangamon Co., Illinois in 1865. He then divorced her in 1878. (same county) They had one son that I know of, my ancestor, John Marion Michaelson. He was from Norway per family. I have checked censuses, land records, naturalization and immigration records. I can not find any information prior or after the marrige. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Debbie Jacobi

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  20:15:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1870 US census for Sangamon Co. Illinois lists him as John Michael, 35 yrs old and born in Norway.

Edited by - Hopkins on 03/08/2004 15:37:11
Go to Top of Page

mscoast2006
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2013 :  15:19:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am also a descendant of John Michaelson. '

John Marion was my Great Grand father
George Edward Sr. was my Grandfather
George Edward Jr. was my father.

Let me know if you want me to fill in some blanks for you.
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2013 :  18:33:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You do not have a name etc. connected to him even it has no meaning.
John, Johan,Johannes Michaelsen/Mikaelsen.

Norwegian naming practice; If he em. without his parents we can assume that his fathers first name was Michael/Mikael/Mikal (John was Michaels son - Michaelson)
The same tradition for his children; First born son named after the fathers father, first born daughter named after the fathers mother (but this was not Norway)

He probably came to America before the civil war.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 27/11/2013 20:00:01
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2013 :  18:59:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John/Johan/Johannes Michaelsen born in Norway between 1830-40:

Some candidates.
- Born Oct. 3. 1840, Tromĝy parish, Vest-Agder county, father Michael Johnsen
- Born March 2. 1835, Oslo, father Michael Michaelsen
- Born Dec. 28. 1835, Buskerud county, father; Michel Nielsen
- Bap. Feb. 1. 1835 in Korskirken, Bergen town, Hordaland county, father; Michael Gabrielsen
- Born April 21. 1835, Wallset, Hedmark county. father; Mechel Andersen
- Born Dec. 28. 1835, Nes in Hallingdal, Buskerud county, father; Mikkel Nielsen
- Born Dec. 10. 1835, Davik, Sogn&Fjordane county, father; Michel Johnsen
- Bap. Mai 12. 1836, Vestby, Akershus county, father; Michael Rasmussen
- Born Mai 1. 1834, Kolvereid, Nord-Trĝndelag county, father; Michael Swartzkopf
- Born Jan. 14. 1834, Rindal, Mĝre&Romsdal county, father; Michael Wittusen
- Born Sept. 3. 1837, Korskirken, Bergen town, father; Ingebrigt Mikael Iversen
- Born April 9. 1834, Fana, Hordaland county, father; Michel Johannesen

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 27/11/2013 20:01:06
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2013 :  19:30:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi mscoast2006, FYI you can click on the Original Poster's username to send an email if you do not hear back within the forum.

Are you seeking the Norwegian roots of John senior? Do you know, what is the source for the birth year 1835? Is there another source besides the 1870 US census?

1910 US Census
Sangamon County, Illinois
John M Michaelson 38 born about 1872
Elizabeth Michaelson 23
Claudine Michaelson age 2
Marion Michaelson age 0

Find-a-Grave memorial:
John M. Michaelson (1871-1931)
Burial: Roselawn Memorial Park, Springfield, Sangamon County, Illinois, USA
also buried there: Elizabeth Michaelson (1886-1939)

Illinois Deaths [via Ancestry.com]
NAME: John Marion Michaelson
SPOUSE: Elizabeth Michaelson
MOTHER: Sarah Lawyer
FATHER: John Michaelson <-----------------------

Maybe the above death record is the source for his name? Is there more known about him? Has a marriage record and/or death record been found, and if so, do they tell his age and his parents?

Find-a-Grave memorial George Edward Michaelson, Senior (1924-1993):
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Michaelson&GSiman=1&GScty=416&GRid=2557705&

Edited by - JaneC on 28/11/2013 00:03:38
Go to Top of Page

mscoast2006
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2013 :  21:41:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can only assume that the track runs cold in Springfield Illinois. I haven't been able to gather any hard info ie. grave site or manifests that can corroborate John Michaelson from Norway or his age.

John Marion, I do have proof as descendant and grave site as well as Elizabeth. I just thought it was interesting seeing someone else probing for the same connection. I believe it is possible that John Michaelson may have been from Norway but without relevant info it's hard to prove. Thanks though.
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2013 :  23:30:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He had a namesake in Boone, Ill.
Joh Michaelson, Johannes Mikkelsen from farm Dahle in Norway born ca 1791, probably in Western Norway since he dep. Bergen on Bark Albion and arr. New York July 3. 1845, married and a son Ole.
Bring up the 1850 census so we can exlude him and avoid misunderstandings, link

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2013 :  23:57:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ancestry.com.
Illinois deaths and stillbirths index.
Name: John Marion Michaelson
Spose: Elizabeth Michaelson.
Father: John Michaelson
Birth: Unknown
Death: 1931.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

mscoast2006
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2013 :  02:14:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John Marion Michaelson -father was listed as John and mother- Sarah (Lawyer) Michaelson. In illinois death index. There is a connection with john Sr. John Marion, Sarah his Mother are all listed by Elizabeth John Marion's Wife on his death notice. There is a high probability that John Marion and John Michaelson Sr. are father and son, the data seem to indicate that by cross collaboration with Census records and birth locations for both Sarah and John in Springfield llinois area. John Sr. is listed a being from Norway on both census and John Marion's death notice. these are official documents. Hard to dispute. Looking back from my point in time I would say " a John Michaelson from Norway is an absolute, but uncertain of the time frame at this time.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2013 :  03:30:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you got a copy of the actual marriage record from Sangamon county?
The reason I ask is that I just looked at the 1763-1900 Illinois marriages database at the Illinois Secy of States site and did not find.
Go to Top of Page

mscoast2006
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2013 :  16:00:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, but the record data base is likely incomplete. However, most marriages in that era were only recorded by the Church. Most emigres, coming from Norway would not necessarily have been admitted into congregations except in the urban areas of Chicago. Springfield was not a large urban center until the Civil War. I believe ,that it may be that, John and Sarah's marriage may have only been recorded with the small church they would have attended. The Death Index data stands superior to all other data. As aforementioned, Elizabeth Michaelson listed both John and Sarah as being the parents of John Marion Michaelson at the time of John's death. No record of where they are buried is available at this time. I believe the connection between John Marion and John Michaelson is certain however.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2013 :  16:11:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are at least two record keeping places for marriage information. The Handybook shows Sangamon county has marriages beginning in 1821. The courthouse is where you get your license to marry and once you have your license, if you are churchly you get married in a church someplace or if its more convenient you get married by the judge or a ships captain.

The year you gave for the marriage was 1865. If it's not a county marriage record, does that date reflect a Bible record or some other sort of family record?

I looked again in the database and here's the marriage date:
MIKELSON, JOHN LAUYER, SARAH JANE 1865-09-16 00001499 SANGAMON

I'd suggest that you might want to have the document itself to see who married them, who were the witnesses etc. And this spelling of Michaelson looks more "Norwegian" to me.

Edited by - jkmarler on 28/11/2013 17:19:11
Go to Top of Page

mscoast2006
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2013 :  17:37:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John Marion listed his birth as 1871, John Michaelson his father was naturalized in 1880 according to record so it seems to indicate John was located in Northern Illinois District 9 so he may have been married to Sarah but the marriage may not have been recorded in Sagamon County. John Marion may have resided there, his Dad may have been from up north. It's important to note that Springfield was not a large city until around the Civil War (1861 to 1865). As far as marriage is concerned I don't know where the 1865 date of marriage your referring to came from, I have no documentation for that date, the original assumption came from Oldtime54. I have messaged her, still waiting for a response at this time.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2013 :  18:31:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oldtime54 wrote her inquiry in 2004, not many folks have the same email address nearly 10 years later, but maybe you'll get lucky.

The database that has the information is the 1763-1900 Marriages of Illinois database at the Illinois Secretary of State's page I posted about earlier. The number on the record is the license number at the Sangamon county courthouse.

If Oldtime or you have his naturalization record that is helpful. The naturalization process is a 2 step. The first step filed is the declaration of intention. Often, in the era of John Mikelson, it will include the name of the port of entry and an approximate date of arrival usually a month and a year. If the record from 1880 is his actual naturalization (the 2nd step) then there might not be much additional information to glean but still worth having a copy of it.

In the 1870-1880 censuses there are approximately 40-50 people born in Norway living in Sangamon county. The church most likely for a Norwegian to attend is a Lutheran church. But Norwegians adapt to their surroundings will attend other denominational churches as well.
Go to Top of Page

mscoast2006
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2013 :  20:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed, I will need to get a look at the previous document filed for Naturalization, and as far as the church situation, Springfield did not have an established Lutheran Church until after the 1860's. Possible that they were both married in mechanicsburg where Sarah Lawyer was from and returned to after the divorce. John Michaelson Sr. is an elusive character to be sure. I will check the index you cited but based on all information available Sara was born in 1850 so earliest she would have married would have likely been 1863, 19865 is not a strech though, She would have been 15 at the time. She would have had John Marion at the age of 21, which is old for a women at that time, I wonder if he was her only child.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article