All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Mobeck, Olsen, Vik, Rood from Nes Romerike
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2005 :  18:40:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Decorah is located in Winneshiek county, Iowa. 1900 US census for that county would be good start. Iowa also conducted state censuses in 1895 and 1905 and you can order them at any LDS Family History Center. The LDS library catalog further indicates that they have many many records for Winneshiek county for topics including cemeteries, centennial celebrations, church records, court records, land and property records, military records, naturalization and citizenship, obituaries, probate records, public records, taxation records and vital records.... That's always a good place to start.
Go to Top of Page

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2005 :  19:13:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Decorah Geneology Society works together with the Winneshiek County Historical Society and will do research for a fee. They have been extremely helpful to me in the past:

http://www.harveyshobbyhut.com/genealogy/about_decorah_genealogy.asp
Go to Top of Page

larry
New on board

4 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2005 :  01:30:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Decorah Iowa is the home of the Vesterhiem Norwegian Museum (Google it to find their web site) which is an excellent research source. There is an online data base for Norwegian Civil War participants but other searchs must be conducted by mail. Luther College in Decorah has a large archive of local newspapers. There are still Viks in Decorah but they may trace their heritage to Sogn and not the Valdres area of Norway.
Go to Top of Page

cmobech
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2007 :  17:15:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vick

I'm looking for any ancestors with the surnames Mobeck, Olsen, Vik or Rood from the Askershus area. My grandfather, Lars K. Vik and his brother, Knute Vik, came over to the U.S. approximately 1900 or 01 on the Norge from Kristiana. Lars K. Vik dob was 10/22/1884. Their father's name was Knut Vik, and I believe they may have had two sisters. I have no other information about the family they left behind in Norway.

I'm also looking for an ancestor named Osgim or Asgrim Rood/Ruud/Rud, who apparently has an interesting history. He spent his money foolishly, and then decided to burn his farm buildings down and collect the insurance money to pay his debts. His crime was discovered and he was thrown in prison. In the meantime, his wife, Helga, and his children, including Syvert Rood/Ruud/Rud (my great-grandfather) came to the U.S. to Hatton, North Dakota, where Helga stayed with her brother, Ole Berg until Osgim was released from prison and sent to the U.S.

The Edward and Berthe Maria Mobeck family also came from Akershus, Nes Romerike, from the Holter farm and Mobekk area??? They also settled in the Hatton, North Dakota area. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2007 :  08:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe it is of interest for you to see the christening record for your grandfather, it is #8 - why the corrections were necessary is difficult to say - he was babtized May 24 1885.
His parents Knut Knutsen and Anne Larsdatter were married April 7 1881, see #1. The mother came from the farm Markegard, Hemsedal in Hallingdal.
Knut Knutsens christening record is most likely #65 his parents being Knud Knudsen and Guri Eriksdatter, Vik farm. They were married April 12 1849, see #10. Knuds father was Knud Tollevsen and Guris father Erik Gulbrandsen.
Anne Larsdatter was born Dec 15 1847, her christening record is #8 and her parents were Lars Pedersen and Kirsti Olsdatter at the Markegaard farm.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 24/10/2007 09:43:43
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2007 :  14:39:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Asgrim and Helga also had a son Erik in 1869, see #9
and a daughter Guri in 1866, see #35 on the right hand page.
The two sons in the 1865 census is #38 and #25.

They married in 1862, see #29
Asgrim was born in 1835, see #25 his parents were Ole Olsen and Gunnor Asgrimsdatter at the Sletto farm
and Helga in 1841, see #74 her parents were Ole Syversen and Guri Syversdatter at the Berg farm.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 24/10/2007 17:02:52
Go to Top of Page

BobVick
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2008 :  04:46:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am part of the Vick-Vik DNA project. Our Joseph Vick arrived in America in 1660 yet matches Norway DNA. If any of you are interested please contact me or Google the Vick DNA Project,
https://www.familytreedna.com/surname_join.aspx?code=Z97027&special=True

Many of the names listed in the post here come close to matching Vick-Vik-DNA.

Cheers, Bob Vick
Family searches are all proven through DNA

Bob Vick
Go to Top of Page

KimWing
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2009 :  04:21:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vick - I am doing research on the Ruud family for a dear friend. Her gg-grandfather was Asgrim Ruud. Were you ever able to confirm the prison story? Do you have any more information on this family? Her g-grandfather was Eric and grandmother was Clara Ruud. Hope to hear from you!

Kim
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2009 :  19:16:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Is your interest in Asgrim Olson Ruud b. 1835 d . 1917? His son Erick was born in either 1868 or 1869 in Hol, Hallingdal and died in Larimore, North Dakota in 1949. Erick A. Ruud married a woman named Karen Marie Thoreson. They had boys Mervin Ruud, Clarence Ruud, Albin Ruud, Roy Ruud and a girl named Clara who married Clarence Moe and lived in Grafton, N.D. Some of the children of Asgrim and Helga went by Ruud and Syvert (Sever, Sjugard, etc). went by Rood. Syvert married a Marie Mobeck and they lived for many years in Foster county, North Dakota. Erick was employed on the Great Northern Railroad.

As to the story about imprisonment of Asgrim a source for that is in Folk og Fortid i Hol, volume IV page 115 by Sigurd and Lars Reinton, 1973. It also mentions that Helga wrote the King to release her husband and that after that he was released eventually Asgrim also migrated to America.

Jackie M.

Edited by - jkmarler on 16/12/2009 19:47:57
Go to Top of Page

Vick
Starting member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2009 :  17:34:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and thank you for your interest in my great-great grandparents, Asgrim and Helga Berg Ruud! My great-grandfather was their son, Syvert Rood (Ruud) who was a blacksmith in Grace City and McHenry, North Dakota. He and his wife, Maria Mobeck Rood are buried in Bethlehem Cemetery outside of McHenry. Just a few weekends ago I visited Middle Grove Lutheran Church in Mekinock, North Dakota where Asgrim, Helga, Paul and Fred Ruud attended since 1885. They are also buried there, and one of the members of the current congregation sent me a list of the Ruud family church records. I learned of Asgrim being imprisoned when I read the book "Grass of the Earth" by Aagot Raaen about pioneer life in the Hatton, North Dakota area. She referred to an Asgrim "Rud" and it wasn't hard to put two and two together!!!

Erick Ruud was one of their sons. I am in contact with one of Erick's great granddaughters. The sad story about Erick's family is that his son, Raymond, was murdered. In 1935, he was 20 years old and was a cab driver in Grand Forks (only 2 weeks on the job) when someone shot him in the back of the head and tossed him beside the road. He was found dead the next morning, and the murder was never solved.

I have lots more information and would love to learn what you may have!
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  01:50:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Am curious about the children of Asgrim and Helga. Holsboka says they had 13 ( sort of confirmed in the 1900 US Fed. census, Helga is listed as mother of 14, 8 living). Names are given as (additional information given in parentheses not in Holsboka):

Ola Asgrimsen b 1862 (d. 1934, Ole A Ruud)
Pål Asgrimsen b. 1864 (d. 1890, Paul A Ruud)
Guri Asgrimsdtr b. 1866
Guri Asgrimsdtr b. 1868 (d. 1934 Gertie or Gertrude Rood, gm Nels Dahl)
Erik Asgrimsen b 1869 (d.1949 Erick A. Ruud)
Sjugard Asgrimsen b. 1871 (d. 1942/43, Sever Rood)
Olaus Asgrimsen b. 1872
Knut Asgrimsen b. 1875 (d. 1910; Knut Asgrimsen Ruud)
Gurine Anne Asgrimsdtr b. 1881
Frederick Asgrimsen b.(1888 d. 1949)
Laura b.
Martin b.
Wallace b.
Gina Asgrimsdtr b. (1887 d. 1908)

It's the second Guri we find in America. Here is her baptismal:

Source information: Buskerud county, Ål, Parish register (official) nr. I 7 (1865-1881), Birth and baptism records 1868, page 24.
Permanent pagelink: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=5914&idx_id=5914&uid=ny&idx_side=-24
Permanent imagelink: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20061102350834.jpg

In the obits of Fred Ruud and Eric Ruud the sister Laura who survived them is found as Laura Martin of Wallace, Idaho. It makes me curious that the Martin and Wallace listed in Holsboka might be a "muddying up" of Laura's married name and residence information. Have you found other names for the children born in the U.S?

Hilsen,
Jackie M.

Edited by - jkmarler on 21/12/2009 02:43:34
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  07:37:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
His son Erick was born in either 1868 or 1869 in Hol, Hallingdal and died in Larimore, North Dakota in 1949.
- read the posting 24/10/2007 : 14:39:38 and see #9!

Einar
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2009 :  05:50:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Yes, baptismal from Norway cited earlier in string indicates 1869 birthyear for Erick, but some records in U.S. indicate 1868.

Hilsen,
Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  08:31:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yes, baptismal from Norway cited earlier in string indicates 1869 birthyear for Erick
- I am convinced that baptismal dates in parish records state birthyears, not just indicate.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  17:54:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi eibache,

A little bit testy today, aren't we?

My Webster's indicates that the word indicate has four meanings and usages, two of which include the word "show."
Methinks we have a distinction here which has no difference!

Re Erick, the records I've seen in America show his birthdate as 20 Dec 1868. Such a birthdate is not physically impossible (the next oldest sibling Guri was born on 1 Feb 1868) and until the entire span of church registers and all other records here and there are examined, it might be better to keep record of the two dates so one or the other can be eliminated at an appropriate time. There may be a reason for the US records to have the year of 1868, perhaps a mix up on some other record lead to this idea--it's a situation worth noting & exploring.

Family history is always in a process of being perfected but seldom is in a perfect condition, like the situation with Guri 1866/ Guri 1868 above.

Glædelig Jul!

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article