All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Passenger list
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2007 :  09:45:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taftezon is a family name, the Z is very unusual.

Peter Aagenius Taftezon was born in Bakke in Langfjord about 1818, his father was Bernt Eilert Taftezon.
Langfjord is most likely in Alta parish in Finmark county

Peter married Oline Petronelle Bertinusdr. Berg (the next is a name of a sub farm, ?eie) age 20, born in Bel? (hard to understand) Sept. 8. 1854 in a countryside "Landsokn", local parish at Vadsø town in Sør Varanger main parish.
Her father was Bertinius Pedersen.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 29/11/2007 09:54:15
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2007 :  10:07:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernt Eilert Taftezon was in 1835 a merchant in Alta and married with Emmerentse Aagaard, their daughter Ingeborg Birgitte was christened on Oct. 21

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2007 :  10:37:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernt Eilert Taftesen married Emmerentze Aagaard in "Vår Frues Kirke" Top 1. page in Trondheim town in Sør Trøndelag county Feb. 21. 1812.

Perhaps Peter Aagenius was born in Trondheim?

Finnmark, Alta is in the Western part and Varanger and Vardø is in the Norh-Eastern part.

Sør Trøndelag, Trondheim is in the Central part.

Still a mystry how cold they reach New York in 4-5 weeks after they left Northern Norway, could a merchant ship leaving Finnmark cross the Atlantic that fast, or did they leave on a steam ship that could make it on 12-15 days?

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 29/11/2007 18:34:15
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2007 :  12:36:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Skogn 1801

Emmerentze Aagaard was born in Skogn parish in Levanger main parish in Nord Trøndelag county 1792 (LDS records).

Her parents were farmer and owner of a magriculture farm Zacharias Aagaard and Anna Margrete Øvre.
Emmerentze Aagaard had two siblings, Aage age 14 and Ingeborg Birgitha age 12 on farm Levanger plads

Nord Trøndelag, Levanger and Skogn is north of Trondheim.
Between Nord Trøndelag and Finnmark is Nordland and Troms counties, so it was a large distance to travel from Trondheim to Sør Varanger

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 29/11/2007 13:08:43
Go to Top of Page

AndersonC
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2007 :  18:13:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for all the info! I couldn't quite read the church page, but now I can order the film here and get it. Maren was known as Marie here. Have been trying to figure out if some how she was related to the Taftezon family. In photos I have she looks very much like some members. Ole left several children in Norway and have been wondering if perhaps she was the daughter/granddaughter of a relative. The family certainly didn't live in one place. Maren is interesting as Ole Christian did have a child with a Maren Heggelund Norager named Oline Christophine who was born 25 Feb 1839 in Alta. Perhaps the Maren/Marie born in about 1857 is somehow related. Oline married a Nils Peder Figenschou (another unusual name also found in Northern Germany) in 1862 in Helgoy.

Should say that z doesn't seem to be so unusual in the Bergen area where the Hanseatic League was located or some of the trading towns of the Hanseatic. Martin did go to Hamburg to learn the shoe repair trade which seemed unusual to me unless he might be staying with relatives.

Emerentze also seems like an unusual name and did find it in being used in Germany /Holland.

1863 wasn't a good time in the US especially in New York. Ole does say he landed in New York. This was during our civil war and in the middle of July riots were taking place in New York City because of the military draft. I have found another source that says they arrived in early August which would fit in the time line better for boat travel, but isn't a direct source. I often wondered if perhaps they left on a Norwegian boat, landed in England, and left from there.

I do have a copy of the articles Ole wrote back to Tromso about the copper mining. Thought this is where is says when he arrived in New York.

med hjertelig takk!

Christine
Go to Top of Page

AndersonC
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2007 :  18:22:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am also looking for the boat Zacharias/Zakarias Martin Taftezon came over on. He left Hammerfest sometime in the spring of 1847 and later arrived in New Orleans USA supposedly via Liverpool the same year. He did sometimes work on a boat so he might have been a "hired hand" at the time, too. Haven't been able to confirm exactly when he left or when he arrived. Info is from family stories with inexact dates. Thanks again.

Christine
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2007 :  18:54:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
you are entireli right abouth that Z could be of German influense, espesially in Bergen starting with the "Hansa periode" about 1400.
I was more thinking about the last name Tastezen, the records from the wedding 1802, " Vår Frues Kirke" in Trondheim also show the last name spelled Tastesen, so I believe the origin of the name was mans name Taste (Toste).

Pehaps it was a German priest who did the spelling, he would likely write the name as he heard them prononced.
In my hometown Kongsberg it was, because of the silver mines, both German, Danish and Norwegian priests and because of that the names in the church books could change from one week to another.

Would be of interest to know how the Z started, likey we will never know.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

AndersonC
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2007 :  21:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there Kåre!

Think perhaps if any records could be found for Bernt's family parents it would answer the question. Where to search is the problem--Trondheim as that was where they were married or northern Norway (Levanger where Emerentze is from?) or Bergen? It seems odd that they would go all the way to Trondheim from Levanger to get married, but it was a big church and maybe that was why.

Since so much has been printed about the Taftezon family in the Alta area and surrounding areas am inclined to think that is the way it was spelled. Know it is hard to distinguish an f from s in those old Gothic scripts. Their name has been spelled so many ways both in the US and Norway. Martin's immigration name was totally off which caused some problems when he trying to get some land as a citizen of the US.

When Bernt and Emerentze were married in 1812, northern Norway was being blockaded by the English and maybe that is why they were married down there. In one of the books it says, "Kistrand og Kjelvik ble senere slått til 4. seksjon under kommando av Bernt Eiler Taftezon på Repvåg." This took place in the summer of 1811 but that is a guess in the publication, but somewhere between 1809-1811. This was the same time the US was also at war with Britian and in War of 1812. Maybe Bernt lived in Repvåg then. So many unanswered questions and so many places to look.

Have family living in Kongsberg--Svilaas--and visited there way back in 1985, the last time I was in Norway.

Thank you again for your help!

Christine
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2007 :  00:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
guess you visited Arne and his parents, I spoked with Arne last Friday.

I aslo mean the spelling Taftezon is correct, I have seen the name in other parish´s too (don´t remember where)

There were 3 Tastesen´s living in Trondheim 1801, but no Bernt Eilert Taftezon

Kistrand and Kjelvik was gathered to 4. unit under command by Bernt Eilert Taftezon at Repvåg.
Repvåg is at Nordkapp, the northerly part of Norway.
From 1807-1811, Denmark/Norway was in war on Napoelons side, then in 1814 the war agains Sweden broke out. Negotiations was started August 10 and Norway was forced into a 91 years long union with Sweden by those days Super powers.

It´s hard to find Bernts forfathers, where they came from, they lived at so many dif. places

It looks like Tommy Thorsen also is seeking Zackarias and Anne Øvre´s parents. Perhaps he has the key?
Click here

Repvåg and Nordkapp

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 30/11/2007 00:53:38
Go to Top of Page

AndersonC
Starting member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2007 :  03:24:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kare! Corresponded with Tommy earlier so will get back with him night. Repvag seems like a pretty small place and probably was even back then. All helpful! Christine
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article