All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Great Grandfather Severin Ludvigson origins?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2006 :  23:27:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gaustad hospital is the name of the property today.

It's still being used as a hospital for people with mental health problems, but nowadays without the risk of being lobotomised...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

tree
Starting member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  14:12:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan,
Do you know if the Gaustad Asylum was only a Lunatic Asylum or did it serve multiple functions?
What I mean is that in this country we had sanitariums to help treat things such as TB.

Do you have any idea if records of patients in the late 1880's are typically available for review?

According to the Court record, here in Michigan where Severin became a ward of the state, in 1884............
"Marin Mathinson resides in Norway Europe and is presently an inmate of a Lunatic Asylum in that country"

As much as I hate to think so, my guess is that the Father brought the Children here to America, went back to the Mother, and perhaps her condition did not improve or change, and after the Children were deemed abandonded and taken by the State of Michigan, there may have been little point in trying to come back to Michigan to gather the children together to become a family again.

The father Ludvig may have resigned himself to what Life had brought.
In the long run I am grateful for what he did. I exist because of it. :)
Although that does not discount the trials and hardships that he, his wife, and the Children all endured.

Best regards,
Eric

Go to Top of Page

tree
Starting member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2006 :  19:05:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good afternoon.

As a follow-up to this topic, I am attempting to find a source to determine who might be able to confirm if Maren Kristine Andreasdatter (married to husband Herman Ludvig Mathisen) may have been a patient at Gaustad Asyl in 1874. If she was, I am also trying to determine the length of her stay at Gaustad Asyl.

You have been so helpful so far, I am hopeful you may be able to continue to do so.

My search of the internet brings up web sites entirely in Norwegian. As such I am ignorant as to the full content of the information.
I sent the following message to Aker University Hospital which apparently also includes Gaustad Hospital.

Good afternoon,
I am researching my Great Great Grandmother. Records in America indicate she was an inmate of a Lunatic asylum in Norway.
I suspect she may have been a patient at the Gaustad Asyl.
Because this facility is part of Gaustad Hospital, and Gaustad Hospital is part of your organization, I am addressing this email to you.
I am hopeful you can direct me to a source who might be able to confirm if Maren Kristine Andreasdatter (married to husband Herman Ludvig Mathisen) may have been a patient at Gaustad Asyl in 1874.
If so, can you tell me the length of her stay at Gaustad Asyl?
Thank you for any help you may be able to offer.

I don't know if this is the correct approach. If you could suggest a more appropriate source of these records, which I could work with , I would appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.
Best regards,
Eric
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2006 :  20:00:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
As far as I know; Gaustad Asylum was only a Lunatic Asylum. There was a lot sanitariums to treat e.g. TB. in Norway as well, but I don't think TB patients was at Gaustad.

Why do you believe she was a patient as early as 1874???

Summary:
1873: Marriage between Herman Ludvig Mathisen & Maren Kristine Andreasdatter
1875: Marentius born
1877: Herman born
1879: Severin born
1883: Herman Ludvig and children Marentius, Herman & Severin emigrating to the US

I would not expect Maren Kristine to be at any hospital before ca 1881/1882...?

Census 1875 for Gaustad Asylum in Aker parish are available, but not online.

Jan Peter

Go to Top of Page

tree
Starting member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2006 :  21:18:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jan,

You are correct, the date should read 1884 not 1874. Perhaps I am do for a visit to the Asyl. :)
I am Sorry for the confusion. My mind was stuck on the wrong decade.

The only document indicating Maren was "an inmate of a Lunatic Asylum" is the Michigan court record and that date was 1884.

Can you could suggest a more appropriate source of these records covering inmates of the Gaustad Asylum 1884 - 1899.
Is there a correct address to send such an inquiry?
I know I need to check with the Gaustad Asylum, I just don't know precisely who or where to send it to.

As noted in a previous post, I have already been advised Maren is not in the 1900 census.

Thanks for catching my mistake.

Eric

Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2006 :  22:17:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I think you should start by looking up their marriage record, from scanned microfilms at a LDS center.

Herman Ludvig Mathisen & Maren Kristine Andreasdatter
Marriage: 14 SEP 1873 Onso, Østfold, Norway

The original record should include her age, fathers name and possible hometown.
That would make it easier to find her in census 1900, if she's still alive.

Two possible sources to find her in the 1880's-1890's:
Norwegian Census-1885 cover only the main cities in Norway, but Gaustad in Aker parish could be included in the census for Christiania (Oslo).
Norwegian Census-1891 should also be checked.

The problem with these two census'es are that they are not available online, but some people might have transcribed material at home.

You could try to post a direct query at Slektsforum
Slektsforum Forum Index -> Queries -> Oslo -> Oslo, Kristiania og Aker fra 1814

A lot of local genealogists are frequently visiting that Forum.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

tree
Starting member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2006 :  22:57:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Jan.

I am planning on following your advise. I need to contact my local LDS center and have them order the proper records from Salt Lake City.

I will try the Slektsforum as well.

Thanks again.
Eric
Go to Top of Page

vvassar

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2015 :  20:26:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I am a granddaughter of Clara Westerdahl, Maren Kristine's daughter, born in 1880. We have a longstanding family story that Clara's mother was committed for postpartum depression. I have made attempts to contact the current hospital for records, and have notified a Norwegian family member that is probably connected through Maren Kristine as well. I am hoping for more information.

Tree, I attempted to email you but this forum says I do not have enough posts to email folks. Which is true - I only just joined.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9223 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2015 :  22:21:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting, since this was first posted in 2006 changes have taken place that makes the search a little easier. You can now find the marriage record online. I am assuming that you could not do that in 2006. See number 25.

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=6221&idx_id=6221&uid=ny&idx_side=-470

And since the name of the father is given in the marriage record, I think that this may be her baptism record.

Maren Christine Andersen
in the Norway, Select Baptisms, 1634-1927
Name: Maren Christine Andersen
Birth Date: 18 mai 1853 (18 May 1853)
Baptism Date: 11 sep 1853
Baptism Place: Fredrikstad,Ostfold,Norway
Father: Andreas Johannesen
Mother: Christine Chatrine Knudsdr
FHL Film Number: 255770

See also number 29 right hand page.

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=7450&idx_id=7450&uid=ny&idx_side=-152

Ain't technology great!

Edited by - AntonH on 11/08/2015 22:27:50
Go to Top of Page

vvassar

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2015 :  01:27:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My goodness, can you read any of that? I'm zoomed in at 150% and I feel like I can't read it. I'm going to print and work on deciphering the script.

quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

Interesting, since this was first posted in 2006 changes have taken place that makes the search a little easier. You can now find the marriage record online. I am assuming that you could not do that in 2006. See number 25.

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=6221&idx_id=6221&uid=ny&idx_side=-470

And since the name of the father is given in the marriage record, I think that this may be her baptism record.

Maren Christine Andersen
in the Norway, Select Baptisms, 1634-1927
Name: Maren Christine Andersen
Birth Date: 18 mai 1853 (18 May 1853)
Baptism Date: 11 sep 1853
Baptism Place: Fredrikstad,Ostfold,Norway
Father: Andreas Johannesen
Mother: Christine Chatrine Knudsdr
FHL Film Number: 255770

See also number 29 right hand page.

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=7450&idx_id=7450&uid=ny&idx_side=-152

Ain't technology great!

Go to Top of Page

vvassar

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2015 :  02:28:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been told Herman Ludwig is not the correct man we are looking for by someone who currently resides in Norway and can read the records.

I can see where the tie-in on the kids on the SS Drammen comes in, those names are awfully coincidental to NOT be the correct family, but why on earth are they logged as Iverson, and not Mathisen?

Here's what I have on/from Clara.

http://mv.ancestry.com/viewer/6bb58289-8c3f-4a9e-9380-9d345a0948a8/50553555/26896905525?_phsrc=lHz16&usePUBJs=true

http://mv.ancestry.com/viewer/ec78919c-f7e6-4c2c-844f-dbbafc957dc0/50553555/26896905525?_phsrc=lHz17&usePUBJs=true

My mother says Clara never went back to Norway, or if she did, she never spoke of it. She has no idea when Clara would have done it. Clara's first marriage was to William Erickson, a saloon keeper, and her second was to Anton Westerdahl. They resided in Iron River, Michigan, for many years... and as I said before, we were told Clara's mother had been committed. Where, we don't know. Clara seemed to pretend to not know anything about her mother. She was, apparently, an angry and bitter woman with some control issues... which I can understand, given how often she was passed around. We also don't know how her adopted family may have treated her.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9223 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2015 :  03:13:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Certainly if Clara was born in Trondheim, Sør-Trondelag, Norway as your info seems to indicate, then information I posted above does not fit well, since those people lived in Østfold, quite far from Trondheim. I guess this is probably the person you are referring to.

Clara Erickson
in the 1900 United States Federal Census
Name: Clara Erickson
Birth Date: Oct 1880
Birthplace: Norway
Home in 1900: Menominee Ward 6, Menominee, Michigan
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1882
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: William Erickson
Marriage Year: 1898
Years Married: 2
Father's Birthplace: Norway
Mother's Birthplace: Norway
Mother: number of living children: 1
Mother: How many children: 1
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
William Erickson 33
Clara Erickson 19
Arthur Erickson 10/12
Go to Top of Page

vvassar

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2015 :  03:39:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe we are looking at the same Clara, and I do doubt her ability to recount her own story. She came over too young. She has been recorded as being born on several different years on a few censuses. She left us the information of her coming over with her father, Ludvig Mathisen, and her brother, Severine. She either could not, or would not, leave us her mother's name.

quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

Certainly if Clara was born in Trondheim, Sør-Trondelag, Norway as your info seems to indicate, then information I posted above does not fit well, since those people lived in Østfold, quite far from Trondheim. I guess this is probably the person you are referring to.

Clara Erickson
in the 1900 United States Federal Census
Name: Clara Erickson
Birth Date: Oct 1880
Birthplace: Norway
Home in 1900: Menominee Ward 6, Menominee, Michigan
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1882
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: William Erickson
Marriage Year: 1898
Years Married: 2
Father's Birthplace: Norway
Mother's Birthplace: Norway
Mother: number of living children: 1
Mother: How many children: 1
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
William Erickson 33
Clara Erickson 19
Arthur Erickson 10/12

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9223 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2015 :  03:46:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going back to page one and looking at the Emigration Record posted by Jan Peter back in 2006, I think that this is the Ancestry.com record of her arrival.

Clara Mathline
in the New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Name: Clara Mathline
Arrival Date: 15 Oct 1883
Birth Date: abt 1883
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Norwegian
Place of Origin: Norway
Port of Departure: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Destination: Norway
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Schiedam

She is listed as travelling with Ludwig (last name is difficult to read it could be Mathissen, the transcriber read it as Mathline but it could be something else) age 30. The rest of the manifest just gives first names and a " mark indicating same as above. Rest of the list is

Adam age 40
Ludwig age 6
Name unreadable age 5
Severin age 3
Clara age 6 months

Edited by - AntonH on 12/08/2015 03:51:55
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9223 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2015 :  03:56:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is how the father is listed.

Ludwig Mathline
in the New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Name: Ludwig Mathline
Arrival Date: 15 Oct 1883
Birth Date: abt 1853
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Norwegian
Place of Origin: Norway
Port of Departure: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Destination: Norway
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Schiedam

If this is the family it casts some serious doubt on the birth place being Trondheim or anywhere in Sør-Trondelag. But it does fit fairly well with the information on the family from Østfold.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article