All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Preciosa 1849 passenger list
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Laurielu
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2006 :  23:47:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do I get a complete passenger list of the Preciosa that sailed on June 2, 1849 from Drammen, Norway and arrived in New York on July 26, 1849? Some of my relatives were on that ship: Pedersen, Amund age 6; Pedersen, Hans age 5; Pederson, Bertel age 3 and Pedersen, Anne age 3 mo. Also on board was Morten Olsen Lodengaard age 21.

Laurie

Jo Anne Sadler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2006 :  02:50:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can rent the passenger list microfilm at a local Family History Center, #175437, as the cut off date is the 27th you might want to also rent #175438:

click here

Then you might want to do a good deed and transcribe the Norwegian passengers to post on this site.
Go to Top of Page

Lisa Peterson Moschkau
New on board

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2011 :  07:09:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like that same information on those same people as they are my great great aunts and uncles. My great great grandfather Ole Pederson Berge AKA Ole Pedersen Busbergbjerget AKA Ole Peterson (their brother) was on that same vessel. I can't seem to email you Laurie, can you email me?

lpmoschkau
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  04:31:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lisa, you can also find the list on Ancestry.com. If you have a subscription or know someone that does such as a library you can access the entire list. Ancestry.com lists 98 passengers on the Preciosa and I find only one Ole Pedersen. See below.

Name: Ole Pedersen
Arrival Date: 26 Jul 1849
Birth Year: abt 1836
Port of Departure: Drammen, Norway
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Preciosa
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  04:43:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are the Pedersens iisted on that ship.

Ole Pedersen abt 1836
Amund Pedersen abt 1843
Hans Pedersen abt 1844
Berbel Pedersen abt 1846
Annie Pedersen abt 1849

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  04:46:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are travelling with this man and his wife Mari Olsdatter.

Name: Peder B Budbjergsbjorget
Arrival Date: 26 Jul 1849
Birth Year: abt 1808
Port of Departure: Drammen, Norway
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Preciosa
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  13:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The family moving out from Gausdal, #29-35.

Oles baptismal record #8, born at Lodengaard.

Parents marriage record #48.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Lisa Peterson Moschkau
New on board

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  02:13:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for helping me. I started only with an old Civil War photo and a name. The combination of the two took me to this website, and now I find generous assistance from you all. I went to see Peder and Ole's grave site this weekend and took photos. I have just started this journey and can't read Norwegian. Can anyone suggest a good translation program? I realize that google translator doesn't help if I don't recognize the letters in the first place.

lpmoschkau
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  03:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are two I use on a regular basis.

http://www.wikiled.com/Norwegian-English-kullet-Default.aspx

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/na17.html
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  05:29:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the letters you don't recognize are a typeset font then you might be looking at the printed column formats of parish church records. Those formats for various time periods have been translated and are available online.
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/na20.html

If the words you don't recognize are handwritten then again you are probably using the parish church records. The records of birth/baptism, confirmation, marriage and death/burial don't use a great variety of words and will just take practice to learn how they were written.

Additional words often found in Norwegian genealogy research -
http://home.online.no/~otjoerge/files/word.htm

Names are still names and dates are still dates -- remember most of the world, including Norway use the DD/MM/YYYY date notation.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  08:07:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oles father, Peder Bertelsen, Busbergbjerget was born May 9 1808 and batized June 19, see last record on left page.
His parents were Bertil Olsen and Ragnild Andersdatter, Lodengaard.
The family in 1801.

Oles mother, Mari Olsdatter, Hoele is more difficult since there are more than one Mari Olsdatter whos father was Ole Pedersen.
Mari Olsdatter, born Dec 8 1809, baptized Jan 7 1810, parents Ole Pedersen and Ane Christensdatter, Sĝnstegaard may be the one, see #2.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 27/10/2012 22:30:17
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  20:58:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa Peterson Moschkau

I started only with an old Civil War photo and a name.

Hi,
both Ole and Amund participated in the civil war.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 21/09/2011 20:59:39
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  22:48:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Your original question was seeking the passenger list of "Preciosa" sailing 2 June 1849 and that particular voyage is recorded in Volume 4, 1849 of Norwegian Immigrants to the United States: A Biographical Directory 1825-1850 by Blaine Hedberg and Gerhard Naeseth on pages 143-150.

Their research of the passenger list of the ship cites this the original NARA film number 81, #1023. This series of books also includes additional research done on each of the immigrants.

Sources for the research information for the Busberget family members are listed as Ĝstre Gausdal church records, The Lefse and Lutefisk Belt, page 214-215, Rush River Lutheran Church records, 1860 & 1880 census recods, Mrs. Olga Snow and the WhiteHall Times and Blair Banner 20 Aug 1896.

You could try to get the book or copies of the pages through ILL (InterLibrary Loan) at your local public library. Or the book can be purchased at Astrimyastri publishing and other places

Good Luck,
Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

Lisa Peterson Moschkau
New on board

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2011 :  17:45:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much to all. I am in awe of your expertise at this research.
Lisa

lpmoschkau
Go to Top of Page

lpmoschkau
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2012 :  17:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Laurielu

How do I get a complete passenger list of the Preciosa that sailed on June 2, 1849 from Drammen, Norway and arrived in New York on July 26, 1849? Some of my relatives were on that ship: Pedersen, Amund age 6; Pedersen, Hans age 5; Pederson, Bertel age 3 and Pedersen, Anne age 3 mo. Also on board was Morten Olsen Lodengaard age 21.

Laurielu, I visited Amund's grave and made this site: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=79595750 on find-a-grave. Do you have any suggestions or changes?
Lisa

Lisa Peterson Moschkau
Go to Top of Page

lpmoschkau
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2012 :  19:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eibache

Oles father, Peder Bertelsen, Busbergbjerget was born May 9 1808 and batized June 19, see last record on left page.
His parents were Bertil Olsen and Ragnild Andersdatter, Lodengaard.
The family in 1801.

As I discovered that my two trees are connected, I realized that I have conflicting information about the dates. Above you wrote May 9 as Peder's birthdate, On the Mormon site: Citing this Record "Norway, Baptisms, 1634-1927," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NCB1-V4Z : accessed 24 Oct 2012), Peder Bertelsen, 14 Jun 1808; citing reference , FHL microfilm 125547. I see June 14. Then in the other side of the family "Ohre" I see June 9. http://www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5521&whichpage=2&SearchTerms=amund%2Cpeterson%2Cberge

When I look at the original, it's very fuzzy. How do you recommend documenting the variations? Is there a standard way to say "maybe this, maybe that"?
Lisa

Lisa Peterson Moschkau
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article