All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Christain Tromm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

David Yaw
Medium member

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2013 :  10:51:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

Donald Bonnevie doesn't necessarily get a by. I've seen lots of baptisms celebrated in which the parents are listed as "gifteman" & "pige"--married man and unmarried female....

Jackie, I'm sure you are correct in principle - but it was the combination of Donald's forename and Sofie Elisabet's maiden name which led me to think this might be the "right" match for Christian Strommer - always assuming Christian Strommer and Cristian Tomson are indeed one and the same - and even though their other two children apparently used the surname Bonnevie.

Looking more closely at the profiles on Geni again today and following up with links via Google, and even though they are written in Finnish, it's clear they are pretty thorough. I would be very surprised if those researchers had missed a third child of Donald and Sofie - but never say never !!!

But pending someone somewhere coming up with a record, looks like we need to continue looking elsewhere too.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2013 :  10:54:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Jan Peter,

I have scanned photographs of my Grandmother Maud and a second with Christian In British Army uniform with all the children.

Thank-you for your assistance in posting these on site for me.

Sincerely,

Derek.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

David Yaw
Medium member

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2013 :  10:55:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Do you know if there might be a town or village in England or Great Britain named Norway?

I'm reminded because an old researcher one time told me they found their ancestor was listed as having moved to Wyoming and he set to searching in Wyoming records and was unsuccessful. It turned out that it was to the town Wyoming in the next county, not the state..

Jackie, looked for this today - only through Google - but no match.
Go to Top of Page

David Yaw
Medium member

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2013 :  10:58:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Derek, don't think this has been picked up in this thread to date.

On Ancestry, there are two public member trees which include Cristian Tomson born Norway 1883. They are the Mault and Thomas family trees. I don't have full access to Ancestry, but maybe some community member has, and could check these out to see if there are any clues there.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2013 :  11:47:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll see what I can do from here David...Thank-you.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2013 :  11:52:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David:

I haven't scrutinised this link but I've gone through the Military site as the name doesn't appear a common one one to me.

http://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/NameSearch?FirstNamePlaceholderText=First%20name&FirstNameIncludeSimilar=False&SurnameIncludeSimilar=False&SaveThisSearch=False&RecordDateStartYear=1700&RecordDateEndYear=2013&IncludeRecordsWithoutServiceNumber=True&DiedInActiveService=False&SurvivedActiveService=False&ReceivedGallantryAward=False&MentionedInDespatches=False&IsFBApp=False&RecordType=NotSelected&Page=0&RecordsPerPage=0&SurnameNamePlaceholderText=Surname&Surname=Mault

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2013 :  12:03:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Another Military site for Thomas...these records go back to pre Napoleonic ( 1700). A lot of reading here but through other avenues and cross referencing I may find a match.

http://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/NameSearch?FirstNamePlaceholderText=First%20name&FirstNameIncludeSimilar=False&SurnameIncludeSimilar=False&SaveThisSearch=False&RecordDateStartYear=1700&RecordDateEndYear=2013&IncludeRecordsWithoutServiceNumber=True&DiedInActiveService=False&SurvivedActiveService=False&ReceivedGallantryAward=False&MentionedInDespatches=False&IsFBApp=False&RecordType=NotSelected&Page=0&RecordsPerPage=0&SurnameNamePlaceholderText=Surname&Surname=thomas

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2013 :  20:14:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Grandmother Maud (not dated).
On the back: "Mother of Rose, Christine, Doris, Marjorie, Daisy, Tom and Frank".
Courtesy of Derek Lawburary.

Christian with the children, from clockwise: Tom, Frank, Rose, Christine, Marjorie, Doris, Daisy.
Although not dated; Christian is still in British Army uniform so this was possibly taken towards the end of WW1 before Christian went to sea.
Courtesy of Derek Lawburary.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2013 :  10:45:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you Jan Peter, you're a star.

The photograph of Christian (with all of his children) is what this topic is all about.

I've a gut feeling that we're not too far away from solving his antecedents.

The photograph of Grandmother Maud as stated has no date, but, it bears a striking resemblance in age to the earlier one posted on this site when Maud was posing with an unknown lady.

I will take this time to thank-you all who have contributed to the search of Christian.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2013 :  11:29:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to reference:

Maud is pictured on page 1 of this topic.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

David Yaw
Medium member

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2013 :  17:41:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Yaw

Derek, don't think this has been picked up in this thread to date.

On Ancestry, there are two public member trees which include Cristian Tomson born Norway 1883. They are the Mault and Thomas family trees. I don't have full access to Ancestry, but maybe some community member has, and could check these out to see if there are any clues there.

Derek, I managed to get someone to look at this on Ancestry. No luck I'm afraid - neither tree has any parents, nor indeed any siblings, for Cristian
Go to Top of Page

David Yaw
Medium member

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2013 :  17:45:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Derek, I spent some time today looking at the UK National Archives records of naturalisations in the early 1900's. Lots of C(h)ristians, including not a few from Norway. But unfortunately no T(h)ompsons.

This is just for the record - I was hoping there might be details of addresses and parentage in any file. .
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2013 :  18:47:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Do you know if there might be a town or village in England or Great Britain named Norway?

I'm reminded because an old researcher one time told me they found their ancestor was listed as having moved to Wyoming and he set to searching in Wyoming records and was unsuccessful. It turned out that it was to the town Wyoming in the next county, not the state..

Jackie, looked for this today - only through Google - but no match.

I concur with your finding. I checked a Britain (England and Scotland) gazetteer from 1984 hard copy but no village or place named Norway in either country.

Edited by - jkmarler on 02/10/2013 18:48:18
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2013 :  18:48:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Derek, I spent some time today looking at the UK National Archives records of naturalisations in the early 1900's. Lots of C(h)ristians, including not a few from Norway. But unfortunately no T(h)ompsons.

This is just for the record - I was hoping there might be details of addresses and parentage in any file. .

Thank-you David.

I found this to-day http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=pubmembertrees&rank=1&new=1&so=3&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=ms_db&gsfn=Cristian&gsln=Tompson&uidh=ey3 Christian and Maud are mentioned here also others of whom I do not know . The 'net' will be cast further.

Still no certificates from England...yet..!

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

David Yaw
Medium member

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2013 :  19:04:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jungfigh

quote:

Thank-you David.

I found this to-day http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=pubmembertrees&rank=1&new=1&so=3&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=ms_db&gsfn=Cristian&gsln=Tompson&uidh=ey3 Christian and Maud are mentioned here also others of whom I do not know . The 'net' will be cast further.

Still no certificates from England...yet..!

Derek, yep, these are the member's trees. Interesting to see that neither has the two later born sons - looks like you are further ahead than them in your research on this particular relationship.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article