All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Christain Tromm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2014 :  06:16:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very picturesque Jackie:

Than-you for that (and the part translation).

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2014 :  06:33:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After 'brushing up' on Jane's post with regard to DNA (DeoxyriboNucleic Acid) I am posting the link below which helped me to understand a lot more about this little known subject (to me).

I hope it may assist any other contributors .

http://www.rootsforreal.com

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.

Edited by - jungfigh on 08/01/2014 06:34:06
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2014 :  06:36:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still await the following:

1. Feed-back from The Royal Marine Museum, Southsea. (Christian's possible link with Donald Tomson)

2. Ditto from Royal Artillery Museum, Woolwich. (Possible will made by Cristian during WW1)

3. Various outlets with regard records of the long folded Ramsgate Steam Trawler Company.

Let's hope that if any of these are fruitful we'll be able to 'pin down' Cristian exactly.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

FrankTompson
Starting member

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2014 :  16:38:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to Derek for flagging up the Roots For Real website much of which I have read with interest. Being a bear of little brain, however, I'm still not quite clear on one or two things!

It seems to me that there is potentially a two-stage process here:

1. Get the DNA test done by Derek or me or both. (I have suggested to Derek that I would be the best choice since I carry the Y-DNA via a male line.) That would hopefully define which part of Norway our ancestor was from (assuming there are no major surprises)! It may give us sufficient evidence to be able to say with a good degree of conviction that a specific person identified on this forum was our forebear.

2. Once we have that result, and depending on the forecast percentage accuracy, we could then look to find a living Norweigan descendant.

Any thoughts on this approach welcomed.

Following a few off-line conversations Derek and I have agreed we are quite happy for the DNA discussion to be held on-line since it gives the most likely opportunity for others to contribute and come up with suggestions (plus, at our ages, we have little to hide or need to keep private)!

Best wishes to all.
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2014 :  17:55:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that Frank. Exciting! I've never participated in a DNA search and this will be an interesting learning experience.

Edited by - JaneC on 09/01/2014 18:14:22
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2014 :  18:36:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Earlier I sent a list of descendants to Derek of Daniel Danielson Strømme's brother, Sivert Danielsen Strømme. Perhaps there are some sons of sons on that list if you are unable to find a person who is willing to be tested in Daniel Danielsen Strømme's descendancy to test.

I have a letter of inquiry into the Bergen statarkiv looking for who has sailor's records from Volda and how they might be accessed. It'll be another week or so to hear from them about that.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2014 :  06:16:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Message received from The Royal Marines Museum, Southsea:

Dear Mr Lawbuary,

Thank you very much for your enquiry. Unfortunately, we cannot complete research on behalf of individuals. However, if you are interested in a particular person the best place to start is their service record. Records for other rank Marines who served before 1842 can be found in the attestation books held at the National Archives, reference ADM 158. They can be searched by name half way down the following web page: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/royalmarines.htm

Service records for those who served around or after 1842 are also held at the National Archives. Some of these records have been digitised and are available on-line. They can be accessed as follows: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/royal-marines-register-service.htm

The National Archives,
Ruskin Avenue,
Kew,
Richmond,
Surrey TW9 4DU

The following books are a useful starting point for research:
-Tracing your Royal Marine Ancestors - Richard Brooks & Matthew Little. Available from the Museum shop.
-A Short History of the Royal Marines, (Royal Marines Historical Society, Portsmouth) 2008. Available from the Museum shop.
-Britain's Sea Soldiers (two volumes)- Colonel Cyril Field RMLI (Lyceum Press: Liverpool 1924). These detailed volumes cover Marines history up to 1913.
-The Royal Marine Artillery 1804 -1923 (two volumes)- Edward Fraser & L.G.Carr-Laughton (RUSI: 1930).

I hope this information is of help. Any donations to help us support our enquiries service are always gratefully received and can be made via this link:
http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/charity-web/charity/finalCharityHomepage.action?charityId=1001985

Sincerely,

Amy Hurst
Curator of Archives
Museum 023 9281 9385
The Royal Marines Museum, Southsea, Hampshire, PO4 9PX
Stay in touch Twitter Facebook ; www.royalmarinesmuseum.co.uk
Please help support our enquiry service, by donating here.
Registered Charity Number: 1142186. Company Number: 7635447. Our email disclaimer is available online.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2014 :  11:08:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

Earlier I sent a list of descendants to Derek of Daniel Danielson Strømme's brother, Sivert Danielsen Strømme. Perhaps there are some sons of sons on that list if you are unable to find a person who is willing to be tested in Daniel Danielsen Strømme's descendancy to test.

I have a letter of inquiry into the Bergen statarkiv looking for who has sailor's records from Volda and how they might be accessed. It'll be another week or so to hear from them about that.

Thank-you for that Jackie.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2014 :  21:58:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for being away for a long time.

I have received the letter for Daniel Straume now.
His death note reads, written with typewriter:
Daniel Johannes Danielsen Straume,
b. 05 Sep 1854 in Volda,
retired in Volda
dead 28 Nov 1942
Heirs:
wife Synneve Straume, Volda
children:
Peder Straume, Aalesund (handwritten)
Gustav Straume, Elvegt. 15, Molde
Robert Straume, Ålesund
Dina Bolsøy, Fugleset pr. Molde
Alfred Straume, Volda

Edited by - jwiborg on 11/01/2014 02:20:26
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2014 :  23:58:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So inheritance in Norway dies with the child, no right, whatever the right might be of the parent who is deceased, goes to grandchildren?
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2014 :  00:35:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure how the law of inheritance worked almost 100 years ago.
Ananias and Christian may have recieved their rightful heir earlier or when they em. I have read it happend in other cases.
Strange they were not mentioned.
Inheritance apply in all generations. If an heir dies his heirs inherit his share.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 11/01/2014 00:38:22
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2014 :  02:09:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both Christian and Ananias Strømme died around 1918-1920, and one of them probably as a bachelor. The widow after the other lived far far away in another country. Assume there were no contact with her after 1922, I think 20 years with no contact could be enough to "forget her" in the death protocol.

Edited by - jwiborg on 11/01/2014 02:17:32
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2014 :  04:50:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wrote to the genealogist of the Møre og Romsdalslag here in US. Their records, Aarbok, had only 2 mentions of a Kristian Strømme. He lived in Minneapolis, Minnesota in 1917 and 1920. The mention also included a descriptor "Vogstranden". So I think he was likely from Strømme paa Vaagstranden in Veøy, another parish entirely.

I also wrote to Annita Søvik who has put together the Straumshamn web site and she is interested in helping, so I look forward to her input.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2014 :  14:59:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We don't know what the very original source was for the words "Volden Laudnor", if it was visual or oral. I wonder if it was visual, such as an address on an envelope or such. If so, it might be a scrambling of "Sunnmøre" which is a regional description of the place that Volden or Volda is located in in Møre og Romsdal fylke. Handwritten cursive captial "S" of a certain style are often mistaken for "L".

Edited by - jkmarler on 11/01/2014 15:58:20
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2014 :  16:28:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

Ledger for Cristian Tompson
Birthplace: in 1911 census Norway
in marriage record: Norway
family tradition: Lauden Vordner
family tradition: Volden Laudnor
sailor death record: Walden

"Lauden Vordner" ... "Volden Laudnor"

Laudnor > Landnor > Nordland?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article