All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Christain Tromm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  10:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JaneC

Some suggestions:
1) Consider the consequences of widening/upgrading the genetics test. Participants can hardly be asked to explore whether a non-paternal event is in play, as the outcome could be unwanted. (Just an outside chance - unlikely but conceivable). Additional participants (adding more male-to-male descendants) can show whether the first comparison of England and Norway is an anomaly. Upgrading the test to more markers could show whether the first test reflected an unusual number of mutations on the first tested markers; presumably the lab can advise if there's hope in that approach. An additional, different test - an autosomal test - could include you, Derek, and could be on file to await fellow descendants arrival in the lab database if no matches are currently on file.

2) Review this thread, maybe print it out? and use a highlighter to note every instance of a suggestion not followed up on or responded to. For example, the suggestion to question Christian's descendants above and beyond Frank. Perhaps this was done, but no comment posted in the thread. Let us know (review for us) what suggestions remain to pursue and update (again, as you wish or if you wish).

3) Consider if it's helpful to make your current inquiries transparent - the forum is confused about who you are investigating and has no idea what specifically you've done. Thus it is impossible to join you or build on it or scratch the tasks off the list. If the inquiries are worth sharing (worthy of comment in the thread), then they may be or likely are worthy of mention in a more specific way. At this time, the forum is excluded from knowing what you are doing - which is absolutely your perogative and you likely have your reasons - but understand that the veil that is drawn effectively leaves you working solo. Thus the call for collaboration is somewhat self-contradictory. Personally I like both ways - working solo, working collaboratively. Just suggesting you consider which is it? at this stage.

4) Create a list of places in Norway called Volden, Wolden, and similar. I'm not clear about the geography. Seems to me there were several places similar? Then systematically search the church books in those places for Christian's birth date plus and minus one year. Additional parishes can be added and added as needed. The Norwegian Digital Archives are very easy to use - that is, it is easy to page through one page at a time. Not all births will show up in a global digital search (which has been done exhaustively). Since you have the energy and will to continue on, a page-by-page search is possible, just terribly time-consuming. Another motivator needed for that is a belief that Christian might be someone other than the Kristian already discussed.

5) Pay for a subscription to online genealogy databases such an historic American and English newspapers database to search for Ananais, brother of the candidate Kristian. Only applicable to address the residual faith in the candidate. But historic newspapers may hold other clues as well. A long shot. Some of us did search, but we as a group lack access (none of us subscribes) to some rich newspaper databases - although Jackie has Newspapers.com I think???

6) Wait. A disheartening suggestion (as are all these suggestions, for that matter). With time more records get transcribed and become findable on a global digital search of Norwegian archives.

7) Try to locate your aunt's journal. Does seem the type of thing that would be saved! And may be stashed in an attic somewhere.

I don't like this list - dislike it a lot - but just trying to think of what's left that could be done.

Jane

Good morning Jane,

Thank-you.

Frank and I are the longest link..(.so I believe) within the Tompson clan...I don't believe there are any attics left to discover our history...Our Mother's and Father's, and relatives have died. On my behalf I cleared out all of my Mothers, Daisy, and Aunt Marge's attic..Negative... I can't speak for Frank. The other children of Kristian and Maud: Christine died early. Aunt Tish was next followed by Uncle Tim Aunt Rose and uncle Frank, then mother, lastly, aunt Marge.

I thank-you for your suggestions..

We will get there...one day..!

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2015 :  04:39:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Goodness gracious: Another month on since my last post.

Although not inactive I cannot expound my theory.

UK census sites, Scottish history sites, etc. All as yet with no result. dogged determination must be the result..!

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

FrankTompson
Starting member

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2015 :  10:19:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go Derek!
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2015 :  11:03:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FrankTompson

Go Derek!

Welcome back Frank...good trip..?

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  08:53:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another month passed...where does the time go..?

Nothing of any consequence to report.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

gaurdal
New on board

Norway
1 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2015 :  23:38:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I'm one of the admins of the Norway DNA Project, and I'm actually from Volda. The Norway DNA Project is a project linked to Family Tree DNA, and I would be glad if you joined our project, with both tests. I am making a paternal descendant tree for all the most distant paternal ancestors in Volda and Ørsta, and was in the making of Steinar Knutsson Hjorthaug (b.abt 1600 and dead after 1660), and found this thread. Interesting! 33/37 match might be close, but usually not. But we have examples of close matches (100-200 years) with both 3 and 4 in genetic distance.

As Nancy mentioned, a Family Finder test would be a good option. If you're lucky you will have a close match, but sometimes even 2nd cousins might show up as genetic 5th cousins. Are the testers related in other ways? If not, and there is a match, I would say that chances are even higher of you having found the link.

I know the names of about all living agnatic ancestors of Steinar Knutsson Hjorthaug, so I might be able to make one of them to take a test.

I hope you will join our project. You can join by logging into your account, and join projects in the drop-down menu.

Kindly regards,
Gunnar Sigve Aurdal, Volda, Norway

quote:

Hi folks,

Herewith a screenshot of the basic results from FTDNA.

It effectively indicates that there is little/no relationship between Finn Stromme and Frank Tompson (yours truly). This is in contradiction to the DNADirectUK results (see page 43) which indicated a strong likelihood that we are related.

So, I continue to be confused. As I suggested earlier DNA testing just seems to be a free for all with no consistency in reporting methodology.

DNADirect showed a comparison of Alleles matches. FTDNA simply gives a %age likelihood of a match over 'X' number of generations, with no detail. I have asked Derek to go back and check if further detail is available.

In general Derek, Finn and myself have not found the FTDNA experience to be a particularly positive one, although Derek has managed to establish a working relationship with someone on the helpline (who seems to me to provide information that should have been readily available/accessible in the first place). (As an example, when I login to their site I can see 'results' (ie the screenshots posted above) for Finn, but not for me.)

All thoughts gratefully welcomed

Cheers,

Frank

Genealogist and admin of the Norway DNA Project
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2016 :  10:15:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Huzzah..! Somewhere at long last. Information from Ancestry.Com :

'War Office: Soldiers' Documents, First World War 'Burnt Documents' (Microfilm Copies);

Christopher Thompson, 13 Turner Street, Ramsgate. Married 19th July 1903 Ramsgate.
Birth date 1883. Joining 31st July 1916 Sandwich Kent. Age: 33 years 245 days.
Private 178871 Royal Engineers. Inland Water and Transport Companies.

Spouse: Maud Elizie Adams Fast.
Child. Rose Malinda Johanna Thompson.
Child. Doris Mildred Maud Thompson.
Child. Ciesie Mary Francis Thompson.
Child. Marjorie Mary Thompson.
Child. Daisy Georgina Mary Thompson. ( My Mother ).
Child. Tom Alfred Daniel Thompson.
Child. Frank Robert Albert Thompson. ( Cousin Frank's Father ).

There are still things I'm 'chasing' up. i.e. Kristian's (Christopher's) date of discharge and a few finer points. But, having discovered the above, so far, I thought it only right to share.
Obviously Kristian (for reason(s) unknown) stated his first name as Christopher upon joining. He could not have produced his birth certificate. Upon joining The British Army he would become British. (Unless previously nationalised).

More to follow when obtained.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.

Edited by - jungfigh on 24/01/2016 10:07:31
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2016 :  22:23:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Derek.
Your topic has reached 723 postings, and is still very interesting to follow.
Good luck

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2016 :  23:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Christopher Thompson = Kristian Elias Danielsen Strømme, he would have followed the typical norwegian naming pattern:
His firstborn daughter is named after his mother Johanne, and his firstborn son is named after his father Daniel.

Children to Christopher Thompson & Maud Elizie Adams Fast, Ramsgate, UK:
1 Rose Malinda Johanna Thompson    >>   Kristian Strømme's mother was Johanne Gurine
2 Doris Mildred Maud Thompson
3 Ciesie Mary Francis Thompson
4 Marjorie Mary Thompson
5 Daisy Georgina Mary Thompson    >>   Kristian Strømme's mother was Johanne Gurine
6 Tom Alfred Daniel Thompson    >>   Kristian Strømme father was named Daniel Johannes Danielsen, and he had brothers named Alfred and Daniel
7 Frank Robert Albert Thompson    >>   Kristian Strømme had a brother named Robert

Children of Daniel Johannes Danielsen Strømme & Johanne Gurine Ananiasdatter, Volda, Norway:
1 Daniel Andreas, (01.May.1878 - 06.Dec.1898)
2 Ananias Johannes, (13.Feb.1880 - ?), "Travelled to England. Married and settled there").
3 Kristian Elias (02.Nov.1882 - 1818), "Travelled to America".
4 Peder Matias Strømme (10.Oct.1885 - 15.Jun.1967), married to Petra Hellandshamn (29.Jun.1893 - 19.Jun.1984).
5 Gustav Strømme (08.Jun.1888 - 20.Mar.1966), married 06.Oct.1914 to (Lovise) Bergljot Antonsdatter Schei (15.Jul.1890 - 03.Mar.1966).
6 Jenny Lovise Strømme (10.Oct.1890 - 31.Mar.1915).
7 Robert Johan Strømme (10.Jul.1894 - 04.Nov.1976), married to Ida Sefland (14.Dec.1899 - 05.Aug.1951).
8 Alfred Strømme, (13.Nov.1896 - 12.Nov.1972)
9 Dina Amanda, (23.Nov.1899 - ?), married 28.Jul.1918 to Peder Anderssen Orvik (1893 - ?).

Previously (on page 39/40), Christopher Thompson's birthdate was calculated to be 02 Nov 1882.
On page 48 there is a document showing his birthplace as Volden, Norway.

Edited by - jwiborg on 24/01/2016 00:34:53
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2016 :  06:56:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you Jan Peter some good factual information. On page 1 you posted a picture of my Grandmother with another lady (yet unknown who is standing) The photographer David J Morgan has many photos in his collection, also with the Venner family whom I mention on page 2. I've attempted on many occasion to contact David J Morgan...Negative. I'll have another go.

If as stated in the caption 'Great Aunt Maud' he would be a second ? cousin to Frank and me.

Another interesting fact: It was always said to me by my Mother and Aunt Marge that Kristian was in the Royal Artillery (R.A.) and not the Royal Engineers (R.E.) I will try to make inroads to the Inland Water and Transport Companies to establish why Kristian was posted to them. Until I received the records I never knew such a company existed.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.

Edited by - jungfigh on 24/01/2016 10:17:20
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2016 :  10:04:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kåarto

Derek.
Your topic has reached 723 postings, and is still very interesting to follow.
Good luck

Kåre

Thank-you Kåre ...although a long time since I have posted I haven't been idle. Still some more to do yet, but, I think we're a lot nearer to establishing Kristian's antecedents.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2016 :  11:26:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jungfigh

I've attempted on many occasion to contact David J Morgan...Negative. I'll have another go.
I have also on several occations tried to contact David J. Morgan, His website has not been updated for years, and his flickr account seemed also to be sleeping. Until now. He has some updated pictures on flickr from last summer, taken of his dog Darwin, pictured in Kingsgate bay, which is next to Ramsgate. Maybe try to add a comment to the picture, and see if he respond?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tz1_1zt/17993086442
Go to Top of Page

FrankTompson
Starting member

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2016 :  11:30:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not quite sure how I missed it previously but thank you to Gunnar for your kind invitation to join your project which I (and I'm sure Derek) would be very happy to do.

Please forgive me, I'm sure I am being a bit dim, but could you clarify where I go when you say: 'You can join by logging into your account, and join projects in the drop-down menu.?' I am logged in but the only drop-down menu I can see is 'Jump To' towards bottom right of the fourm page.

With thanks,

Frank
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2016 :  11:57:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not quite sure how I missed it previously but thank you to Gunnar for your kind invitation to join your project which I (and I'm sure Derek) would be very happy to do.

Please forgive me, I'm sure I am being a bit dim, but could you clarify where I go when you say: 'You can join by logging into your account, and join projects in the drop-down menu.?' I am logged in but the only drop-down menu I can see is 'Jump To' towards bottom right of the fourm page.

With thanks,

Frank

There is a join button to the right on the header image.
https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/norway/about
Go to Top of Page

jungfigh

Malta
326 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2016 :  06:11:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

quote:
Originally posted by jungfigh

I've attempted on many occasion to contact David J Morgan...Negative. I'll have another go.
I have also on several occations tried to contact David J. Morgan, His website has not been updated for years, and his flickr account seemed also to be sleeping. Until now. He has some updated pictures on flickr from last summer, taken of his dog Darwin, pictured in Kingsgate bay, which is next to Ramsgate. Maybe try to add a comment to the picture, and see if he respond?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tz1_1zt/17993086442

Thank-you Jan Peter...done that. Let's hope he responds.

DL. ;o) Malta. G.C.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article