All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Arneson Farms or Loberg Farms
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

tlwright65

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2007 :  04:29:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there anyone that can help me find Loberg farms especially. I would really love to know where my ancestors came from. The furthest I go back is Oct 1859 for John A Loberg from Norway coming to the States around 1870/1871 according to all the census I found on him. This is my great-great grandfather. I have no other information other than death date and wife and children (which all happened in Minnesota). He came with his brother Edward and sister Bertha. His listed occupation was lathing houses. NOW, on the Arneson side. I do have quite a bit of information on them going back to about 1675, but, I'm greedy, I would like to try to find more about them. Knudt Arneson is my ggg-grandfather. He was born on Dec 8, 1834 in Innvik, died May 15, 1925 in Sparta, Minnesota. He married Anna Dorothea Jonsdtr Bye in Gaspe, Quebec. She was born on Jun 26, 1832 in Innvik, died on Jul 6, 1913 in Sparta, Chippewa, Minnesota. Can anyone help me

Tami

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2007 :  05:23:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1865 Norwegian census indicates farms named Loberg or Løberg in Hedmark, Oppland, Telemark, Rogaland, Sør-Trøndelag and Nordland provinces of Norway. I didn't see anybody named Edward on any of them - and no young boy of the appropriate age and given name starting with letters 'Jo'.
You'd better go back to Minnesota sources of all types and hope to find some mention of WHERE in Norway he came from.

You'll find Innvik in Sogn og Fjordane, Norway. When you decide exactly what additional information you want about them check the LDS library catalog for the availability of the Innvik records on microfilm.
Go to Top of Page

tlwright65

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2007 :  05:33:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your quick reply. I will look. I'm sure they all americanized their names and those were the only ones i could find.

Innvik was for the Arnesons. Are there Arneson farms there?

Tami
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2007 :  11:56:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Knud (Knudt) was born 08.12.1834 and baptized 10.12.1834. He was the son of Arne Rasmussen on Yttre Bøe farm and Synneve Larsdatter from Glomnæs farm in Innvik. They married June 25 in 1826.
Arne was baptized 01.01. 1797 and his father was Rasmus Arnesen and mother was Anna Rasmusdatter from the Yttre Bøe farm.
Syneve was baptized 15.04. 1805 and her father was Lars Knudsen, Glomnæs and mother was Kari Rasmusdatter from the Kirkeide farm. They were married Nov 15 1795.
Lars was baptized July 26 1766 and his father was Knud Glomnæs and his mother was Birthe Jørgensdatter.
Kari was baptized Karen April 05 1772 and her father was Rasmus Ingebrichtsen and her mother was Karen Andersdatter.
Have not been able to find any Anna baptized in Innvik between 1830 and 1840.
You can confirm this at http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2007 :  13:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arnesen is patronymic name - not farm name. Means his father's given name was Arne.

Einar is correct - the Digitalarkivet website has a number of databases for the Innvik area available for your use. Study this for help in learning how to effectively use that site -
http://www.rootsweb.com/~norway/DigitalArchives.html
Go to Top of Page

tlwright65

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2007 :  17:21:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you both so much. I really appreciate your help. I will look on both websites.

Tami
Go to Top of Page

tlwright65

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2007 :  22:31:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the Loberg farm actually spelled that way? I know it's a stupid question, but I can't find anything.

Tami
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2007 :  00:17:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tami -
You don't know which farm John A is from - how can we know exactly how it was spelled when he lived there, or how it is spelled now??
I can't even guess where you are looking ...
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2007 :  00:18:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can it be this man?
Johan Andreassen (7), son of Andreas Eriksen & Elie Johansdatter.
The family is living at Nederstuen farm in Vang parish, Hedmark, in census-1865.

Johan is christened on 20 NOV 1859 in Furnes, Hedmark.

Here is his emigration on 24-oct-1871, together with mother Eli Johansdatter Løberg, brothers Elias Løberg and Martin Andreassen and sister Beate Løberg.
Tickets was pre-paid, probably by father Andreas Eriksen. He emigrated to Minneapolis a year earlier, on Nov. 04 1870. Occupation is carpenter...

According to LDS, Andreas Eriksen & Elie Johansdatter are registered with the following children:

Elias, born 02 Oct 1856, Vang, Hedmark
Johan, chrs 20 Nov 1859, Furnes, Hedmark. He is born on 27-Oct-1859 according to Hedmark county, Furnes i Vang, Ministerialbok nr. 13 (1855-1879), Fødte og døpte 1859, page 43.
Berthe, born 25 Nov 1862, Vang, Hedmark
Beata, born 02 May 1865, Vang, Hedmark
Maria , born 19 Jan 1868, Vang, Hedmark
Martin, born 26 Jun 1870, Vang, Hedmark

What happened to the other kids? Cot death?

Berthe Andreasdtr Løberg (8) died on 21-Apr-1871.
There is also a record of one Maria Andersdtr Græftenengen (1.5y), dead on 13-Aug-1869
She could be the "Maria" girl in the family... Unfortunately, the original records did not list her parents either...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 18/02/2007 02:09:27
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2007 :  00:47:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andreas Eriksen Løberg (21) & Eli Johansdatter Aker (26) got married on 02-May-1856 in Vang, Hedmark.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2007 :  01:09:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan Peter !!!!
Applause! Applause!
That makes some sense and looks like a strong possibility! The brother that Tami called Edward from just one US census - is probably called Elias in at two other US censuses that I was looking at - I wondered at the time. Just limiting a US census search to persons using Loberg as last name and having been born in Norway gives an interesting narrow outline of the possibilities. Then comparing years of birth, similar first names, types of occupations, etc. etc.

It doesn't make a solid connection to the VERY limited information we started with - but it gives a real chance ! The original poster should probably so some real investigation - especially about that brother "Edward".
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2007 :  01:27:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I found them in Wyoming, Chisago county, Minnesota in census-1880. It that where they lived? Link

Andrew E Lovberg (45)
Elling Lovberg (52) wife. (Should be Eli...)
Elias Lovberg (23)
John Lovberg (20)
Beata Lovberg (14)
Martin Lovberg (9)
Betsie Lovberg (7),born in Mn
Oscar Lovberg (4), born in Mn

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2007 :  01:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are registered as Sooberg in the 1880 US Census at Familysearch...

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

tlwright65

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2007 :  01:54:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of you are totally awesome!! I know it was VERY limited information, but I really think you found them!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU. I never thought that Edward would be an Elias.

Thank you again so much for all your information.

And you're right, Hopkins, I thought it was called Loberg farm, I didn't know that it would have been something totally different. I just think you all are great.

Tami

Edited by - tlwright65 on 18/02/2007 02:06:44
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2007 :  02:02:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tlwright65

I do know they never lived in Chisago Co.
Well, that's where this family lived in 1880..., they live in Wyoming, Chisago county, Minnesota.

Head of household is Andrew E Lovberg (45) ["Andrew C. Sooberg"], and is the same as Andreas Eriksen Løberg, born ca 1835 in Vang, Hedmark.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

tlwright65

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2007 :  02:08:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry Jan Peter. You are absolutely correct. Just talked to my dad and that's what he told me. He'd forgotten until I read what you wrote. I've asked him a million questions, but if I don't say it exactly the right way, he doesn't remember. I appreciate all your help!! Thanks again.

Tami
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article