All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Maren Sophie Olofsdtr b. 1815
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2007 :  16:01:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a comment on the marriage record on Lars Gustavsen Hannestad and Olea Olsdr Botner.
Hannestad and Botner are the farms they lived on when they were married.
If the farm name was used like an address it was neccesary to distinguish people with the same name, Olea was a common girls name and she could have been called Olea Botner.
It is quite clear however that the name in the marriage record is Olea - no reason to believe that it should have been Marthe. The only way to make certain that Olea and Marthe is the same person would be to find the baptismal record.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 31/12/2007 16:02:52
Go to Top of Page

jcjens

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  04:13:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you AGAIN(!) for all the help and suggestions! I too do not think the marriage record of Lars Gustavsen and Olea Olsdr Botner is the marriage of my Marte... only because I too think it says "Olea" on that record. Perhaps Olea had a middle name of Marte ... or... ? I have searched in and around the years that Lars and Marte were (about) born and have not found anything in Grue. Perhaps they both were born elsewhere. It seems that in the Grue, Hedmark area I have not found many Gustavsen's or Gustav names. Do you know if that name is Norwegian in origin? I will continue to look and hopefully I'll have some great luck in solving this mystery! Ancestor research is one puzzle after the other, isn't it? :-)

Thank you!
J. Jensen
Go to Top of Page

jcjens

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  05:30:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be wonderful if I could find a marriage for Lars Gustavsen and "Marte" Olsdatter!! However, I decided to look more for their births... Since my Marte says in the 1801 census that she is age 47 I went looking again for her birth in Grue, Hedmark records... nothing found in 1754 but I found a child, Marthe, born to Ole Osen and Mareth Jorgens(?) in 1753, page 82 about the middle left hand side of the page. http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?uid=5444&urnread_imagesize=full&show=43#toppen - I believe it says "Baguus" as farm??? - I have a difficult time deciphering the dates, etc. Would you please translate what it says... once again?

Thank you ever so much!
J. Jensen
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  11:21:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The date is June 10 and the mothers father was Joseph - so she is Josephsdatter and the farm is Baghuus - which I have not found in Rygh, but it is recorded as a farm in the 1865 census.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

jcjens

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  15:59:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eibache

The date is June 10 and the mothers father was Joseph - so she is Josephsdatter and the farm is Baghuus - which I have not found in Rygh, but it is recorded as a farm in the 1865 census.

THANK YOU! ! ! ! I appreciate your help very much!

J. Jensen
Go to Top of Page

DALB
Medium member

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  06:24:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a friend check an older version of the parish transcripts that were done in Norway.

Confirmed in Grue
1773 Lars Gustavsen Hannestad
1779 Peder Gustavsen Hannestad

For the marriage of Lars - this is what she found -
1778 Nov 1 for Lars Gustavsen Hannestad & Marte [no-Olea] Olsdatter Botner

A good place to do Hedmark research is at the Solørlag http://www.solorlag.org/

Solør Slektshistorielag http://home.online.no/~kskagest - they may be able to solve your problem also.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  10:11:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DALB,
I am sorry but I am afraid I do not understand how you try to solve the "problem". What is this
"Confirmed in Grue
1779 Peder Gustavsen Hannestad"
I also have my doubts whether the transcripts you refer to can be correct, there is no doubt that the marriage record of Nov 1 (20 sunday after Trinitates) is Lars Gustavsen Hannestad and Olea Olsdatter Botner - where does the "Marte" come from?

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 04/01/2008 13:46:52
Go to Top of Page

jcjens

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  01:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DALB

I had a friend check an older version of the parish transcripts that were done in Norway.

Confirmed in Grue
1779 Peder Gustavsen Hannestad

For the marriage of Lars - this is what she found -
1778 Nov 1 for Lars Gustavsen Hannestad & Marte [no-Olea] Olsdatter Botner

A good place to do Hedmark research is at the Solørlag http://www.solorlag.org/

Solør Slektshistorielag http://home.online.no/~kskagest - they may be able to solve your problem also.

Hello,
I have noticed a Peder Gustavsen Hannestad as a godfather at some of Lars' and Marte's children's births. So, I wondered if Lars has a brother named Peder. I will look to see if I can find the confirmation record you sent above. I appreciate all and any leads that will help me find information about our ancestors.
As for the marriage of Lars and Marte you mentioned that your friend found - "1778 Nov 1 for Lars Gustavsen Hannestad & Marte [no-Olea] Olsdatter Botner" - I would be most interested in obtaining a copy of this record. Would that be possible?
Thank you again!

J. Jensen
Go to Top of Page

jcjens

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  04:03:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I might have found Lars Gustavsen's mother in the 1801 census... that is IF Peder is his brother. A Mari Monsdtr is living with Peder Gustavsen and his family. Also, a brother of Peder's, Ole Gustavsen, is living there too.
At: http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=hentglobal®ister=etternavn&pgj=51&teljing=ft1801&filnamn=f10421.wc2&amt=4&funnenr=351
1801-telling for 0421 Winger Amt Prestegjeld Sokn Gard Hedemarkens Wingers Wingers Schandsgaarden
236 Peder Gustavsen Mand 42 Begge i 1ste ægteskab Husmand med jord M
237 Anne Maria Bergersdtr Hans kone 25 Begge i 1ste ægteskab K 238 Gustav Pedersen Deres børn 9 Ugift M
239 Johanne Pedersdtr Deres børn 3 K
240 Lars Pedersen Deres børn 1 M
241 Ole Gustavsen Mandens broder 38 M
242 Mari Monsdtr Mandens moder 78 Enke efter 1ste ægteskab K
I can't believe how uncommon "Gustavsen" is in this census. I asked once before but no one answered this question - but does anyone know the origin of Gustavsen or Gustav?
What is the best way to prove a brother's relationship? Are there any records from this time period (abt 1750's to 1760's) that would say where a person is born? I am wondering if the Gustavsen's are from one of the other Scandinavian countries?
Thanking you in advance for any help you can once again give me!
J. Jensen
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  04:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You ask "What is the best way to prove a brother's relationship?" -- find both birth records - compare names of parent(s).
LDS library catalog lists for Grue in Hedmark that parish records as early as 1712 exist. Recheck the listings available in the scanned records collection on Digitalarkivet.

I have a couple of early ancestors listed in other Norwegian parish records as having originally come from another country. I don't know if that information would be regularly listed on any particular document. I've always felt I was lucky to find the notations.

Using an online search engine returned orgin of the name 'Gustav' http://www.behindthename.com/name/gustav

Edited by - Hopkins on 10/01/2008 04:50:50
Go to Top of Page

jcjens

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  05:35:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is interesting about "behindthename.com" on Gustav... German and Scandinavian. I searched on www.familysearch.org for the children of Gustav Larsen and Mari Monsdtr and four children came up for them... but not my Lars is listed... but the baptism dates of those four children would be about the time frame for them to also be Lars' parents. Also, it has given me another place "Vinger" to look for Lars' baptism. I will keep looking and I appreciate all the help I have received off this message board! Thank you very much for your reply!
J. Jensen
Go to Top of Page

DALB
Medium member

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  07:09:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The parents marriage is in Vinger - pg 109 1754 29 Dec

Kildeinformasjon: Hedmark fylke, Vinger, Ministerialbok nr. 3 (1751-1772), Trolovede 1755, side 109.
Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=9129&idx_id=9129&uid=ny&idx_side=-110
Permanent bildelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20070603160646.jpg
-------------------
Then I checked for his death and it verifies the marriage
IGI - death of Gustav

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gustav Klemmetsbraaten Larsen Pedigree
Male Family

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth: About 1720 Sweden, , Hedmark, Norway

Christening:
Death: 1790

Burial:

Marriages:
Spouse: Mari Monsdatter Family
Marriage: 29 DEC 1754 Vinger, Hedmark, Norway

Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  08:27:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the marriage record for Gustaf Larsson and Mari Mogensdatter here
you will see that they were married Dec 29 and that Gustaf was a widower from Sweden.
They are the parents of Peder Gustavsen confirmed in 1779, he was born in 1758, see right hand page, left column here
(Gustafs here Gustavus).
The brother Ole from the 1801 census was born in 1762, see right hand page, right column here
Peders sister Marte was born in 1760, see right hand page, right column here
If the Lars Gustavsen married to Marthe Olsdatter in the 1801 census here
should be one of the children of Gustav Larsen and Mari Mogensdatter it is hard to find room for his birth (the year should have been 1758 - 1762)

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 10/01/2008 10:00:33
Go to Top of Page

jcjens

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  20:40:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my, the mystery gets deeper! I, once again, appreciate all that everyone has posted here! You are all so very helpful!! I did find two Ole's born to Gustav Larson and Mari Mogsdtr within an 11 month time frame. What I'm wondering is if it could be that one should have been listed as Lars and not Ole? I have found this to be the case in my Dutch research. I looked for a death of the first Ole but did not find it... maybe I just overlooked it.??? and will have to look again through those records. Anyway, here are my notes and what I have found on these two Ole's and if any of you have any ideas as to where to go from here I would sure appreciate it.
------------------------------------
***I found a son baptised in Grue at: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?uid=366&urnread_imagesize=full&show=141#toppen - page 276
Ole Gustavusen baptised on 13 Feb in 1762 to Gustavus Larsen and Mari Bergens
***I found another son baptised in Grue/Brandvald also named Ole at: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?uid=366&urnread_imagesize=full&show=151#toppen - page 295
Ole Gustavusen baptised on 13 Jan in 1763 to Gustavus Larsen and Mari Bergens
I looked through Grue from 1754 to 1764 for Lars Gustavusen and never found him.
I also looked in Vinger from 1754 to 1762 and did not find him in those records either.
Note: The reason why I went back to 1754 is because that is the year Gustav and Mari were married. With them being married in 1754 and their son Peder was not born until 1758 it gives them almost four years of marriage without having any children. Maybe Gustav brought children into the marriage from his first marriage?

eibache, Thank you for solving my question about the origin of Gustav Larsen... he is from Sweden! Also, you are correct about the time frame being tight for Lars to be their son. However, I did find it strange that the name "Gustavsen" and even the first name "Gustav" is not very common in the records of Grue and because I have not found any other families with that surname I question that Lars Gustavsen would not be his child. Of course, without finding his baptism record unfortunately I can not list him as their child.... as yet. I will continue to try and find his baptism record...

Oh, more questions just came to mind... with Gustav's surname being "Larsen" this too makes me feel that Lars is his son... named after his father "Lars." At least the Dutch are famous for naming their children after parents, etc. So, do you know if the Norwegian naming practices are like that too? You mentioned above that Gustaf Larsson is a widower from Sweden. I know Lars states that he is 40 in the 1801 census but I have found a lot of errors in many census records... perhaps Lars was born in Sweden from the first wife and he is older than he says in the 1801 census??? In that census it states that his wife is 7 years older than him. If his birthdate is wrong and say he is a couple of years older than his wife then he would have been born in about 1752. Of course, this is all speculation! Do you know if there are any good Swedish searching sites online?

Thank you again for all your help!!!!!!!!!
J. Jensen
Go to Top of Page

jcjens

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  20:56:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to let you know that I just found the death of the first Ole... I think it says in April 9, 1762 and he was 1 1/2 months old. http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?uid=25104&urnread_imagesize=full&show=143#bunnen Page 280.
So, there goes my possiblity that one of the Ole's was misnamed by the scribe. :-(
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article