All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Otto Olsen-Böje or Otto Olsen-Bøje
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Olsen-Böje
Starting member

South America
19 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  01:10:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been trying for hours to find my way in the Digital Archives but no luck, guess I lack of expertise.
I know you receive hundreds of requests but I dare to ask you once more, when you have time, how do I find about Kristians parents? do you look the probable parish records page by page? I fight against my ignorance of the languaje and places and my inexperience, if you give me a hint as to which are the steps I should follow for my research, perhaps I would not be such a bother in asking now and again.
It is frustating that with all the data you have so kindly given me I cannot find the way by myself to pursue on more information. I have tracked the Danish branches of the family up to 1732, the French to 1725, the Spanish to 1800 and the Italian up to 1831. But Norway is the first and real origin of my family and my goal to achieve.
Thanks again and so sorry to bother you once more.

Olsen-Böje
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  08:44:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Oslo/Kristiania area is the difficult one to do research in, being familiar with the geography is an advantage, but that is not enough, info on persons age is also a help.
In the case of parents to Ole Andersen and Karen Marie Christophersdatter who had the son Christian Olaus in 1829 we know they were at a farm called Waggesteen (which Ole Andersen owned) - we do not know their age, when they were married or the name of their parents.
We can assume they were between 20 and 40 years, we could hope to find them in the 1801 census, maybe in Oslo or Akershus (or somewhere else) The farm Waggesteen is not in that census, but it is in the 1865 census for Aker in Akershus.
-- and so on could the search go - I have tried but have not found anything yet.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 10/08/2008 13:30:56
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  12:46:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The urban areas are more difficult research, not impossible, just more difficult due to the sheer number of persons and thus records in such areas.

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/articles.html
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norway/DigitalArchives.html

It takes a bit of practice to get really comfortable searching the Norwegian databases and scanned records. You can do it.

If you are requesting assistance to find something be sure and be completely clear about exactly what information you are looking for.

Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  13:54:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Waggesteen farm exist today but as two farms called Øvre Vaggestein and Nedre Vaggestein - they are situated in Maridalen which is in the northern part of Oslo (a big part of the area belonging to the city of Oslo is woodland.) You can find the farms with this map
write nedre vaggestein in the SØK (search) line, click Nedre Vaggestein (Gårdsbruk) in "Velg" (choose) option on the left side, zoom in and choose "hybrid" to see the buildings.
Christopher Waggesteen was one of the withesses at a baptism April 27 1760 of the twins Karen and Ole. Could he be Karen Maries father?
In 1842 Christopher Christophersen 56 years old was the owner of Waggesteen øvre. Could he be a brother of Karen Marie?

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 10/08/2008 20:10:44
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  20:35:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christian Olavus Olsen was confirmed March 30 1845, see #31
born Aug 30 1829 at Waggesteen and baptized July 25 1830.
Christians brother Bernt Rufilius was confirmed April 30 1848, see #41
baptismal record #164
the parents were then at the Nordbraaten farm.
His sister Andrine Maria was confirmed Oct 2 1842, see
baptismal record right hand page #66
the parents were at the Nordbraaten farm and Christopher Waggesten was one of the witnesses.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 10/08/2008 21:34:57
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  21:50:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ole Andersen and wife Karen Marie Kay moved into Aker parish in 1828, he was a former petty officer and 26 years, she was 21 years old. They were married in Xtiania = Kristiania in 1826 and had no children.
See #13
Karen Marie was confirmed Oct 6 1822, see #17
she was baptized Aug 25 1807 and her parents were Christopher Michelsen Kay and Birthe Maria Jensdatter.
Karen Maria had a brother Ole, see his confirmation record #59
Ole and Karen Marie married Dec 11 1826, see #2
Karen Marie was 19 years old.
Ole was 24 years old, born in Aker parish and his father was Anders Enersen. His baptismal record is
Aug 1
his parents Anders Enersen and Mari Olsdatter at Waggesteenbraaten.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 10/08/2008 23:01:34
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  07:48:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ole Andersens father Anders Enersen was baptized Aug 28 1768, see here
his parents were Ener Enersen and Maren Olsdatter at Vaggestenseje.
Anders had a brother Ener who was confirmed on the same day in 1782.
Karen Maries parents were married Oct 14 1802, seesecond couple on right hand page here
Christopher Michelsen Kay was a corporal.
Christopher was born Aug 15 1779 and baptized Sept 5, see left hand page here
his parents were Michael Kai and Karen Olsdatter.
Michel Nielsen Kai and Kari Olsdatter were married Oct 30 1770, see left hand page here
Michel Nielsen was baptized Dec 27 1737, see last record on right hand page here
his parents were Niels Halvorsen and Marte Christophersdatter at Tomelstad.
Karen Olsdatter was baptized Dec 26 1746, see second record from the top on right hand page here
her father was Ole Kaatorp
Ole Erichsen Kaatorp and Kari Hermondsdatter were married Jan 24 1746, see left hand page here

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 11/08/2008 09:44:03
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  09:46:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You will find lots of info on LDS by searching for Christopher Michelsen marriage 1802!

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Olsen-Böje
Starting member

South America
19 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2008 :  18:29:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really thank you all , specially you Eibach for all the time you dedicated to the search.
It has represented a big step further in the past.
I´m working on all the new information and will let you know if I have made new findings.
What is LDS?

Olsen-Böje
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2008 :  22:28:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-Day Saints (LDS = Mormons)
Their website and their collection of materials is one of the basics of all genealogy resources -
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp
Go to Top of Page

Olsen-Böje
Starting member

South America
19 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2008 :  04:44:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear friends, I have received a message from Oslo City Archives, Agency for Cultural Affairs, in response to my inquiry about Dorthea Olsen, she was registered in the 1954 Census as living at Kingos Gate 18, since 1951, and she was born on November 19, 1878, so she was two years older than my grandfather. At the time she was a widow and pensioner.
I did not recognize LDS as referring to the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-Day Saints, but of course I have searched through their incredible amounts of archives throughout the world ( god bless the internet) and they have been of great help specially on my research in France, I will follow the line you recommend me.

Olsen-Böje
Go to Top of Page

Olsen-Böje
Starting member

South America
19 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  10:58:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My search in LDS is taking very long time but as you said I am getting lots of information.
Thanks again for the lead.

Olsen-Böje
Go to Top of Page

Olsen-Böje
Starting member

South America
19 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2016 :  18:06:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I am back again. Ready to help and anxious for new searches and findings.

Olsen-Böje
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article