All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The voyage
 Post-Civil War Travel Routes - Quebec to Milwaukee
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Janealogy50
Starting member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2008 :  20:45:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where on this website (or others) might I find travel routes (sailing ship/steamship/railroad) from Quebec to Milwaukee in 1866? Thank you very much.

Jan

Jan P Mongoven

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2008 :  22:54:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can see a 1869 map here

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

Janealogy50
Starting member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2008 :  00:31:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Takk, Børge!

It seems as though they might have used the railroads (instead of small steamships via the Great Lakes) to get to Milwaukee. Two different groups of my ancestors sailed from Norway to Quebec in spring 1866. From there, one group went to Milwaukee...the other I have not yet determined (either Milwaukee or Chicago). The first settled in Freeborn County, Minnesota. The other arrived in Winneshiek County, Iowa and left after a few years for Freeborn County. Although the map is from 1869, it is dated 26 Oct 1868. Because it would have taken time to draw and print the map, I assume much of the railroad shown here would have been in place in 1866. Once again, thank you so much.

Sincerely,
Jan

Jan P Mongoven
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  23:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See also this topic.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Janealogy50
Starting member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  04:19:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Takk, Jan!

I enjoyed reading the articles, although they were in the decade after my ancestors arrived. I found the following information using the website of Archives and Library Canada and a timeline which I found online at Colin Churcher's Railway Pages (http://www.railways.incanada.net/candate/candate.htm). It may be helpful to those whose immigrants arrived at Quebec in the 1860s. I will paraphrase the information I gathered from the two sources:

The Grand Trunk Railway was formed in 1852 as an amalgamation of several Canadian railways. Its main goals, according to Archives and Library Canada, were to keep up with the flurry of railroad construction in the United States and to connect Montreal to Toronto. By October 1856, the railway had opened a broad-guage line for passengers between those two cities. That portion of the trip, which used to be over thirty-six hours by stagecoach, had been cut to less than eighteen hours! Later, on December 27, 1859, the line between Toronto and Sarnia was completed, and a ferry service across the St. Clair River was established to Port Huron, Michigan. So, using passenger trains, Hans Martinsen could have traveled from Quebec to Sarnia, Ontario, and then boarded the river ferry which transported him to Port Huron. American railroads connected Port Huron with Detroit, Detroit with Chicago, and Chicago with Milwaukee. From either of the last two cities, trains could have transported our weary ancestor to his final destination near Decorah, Iowa.

Thanks once again for helping me.

Sincerely,

Jan P Mongoven
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article