All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Anne Langland Ohnstad
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Wally
Medium member

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  01:55:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jackie, From what I have been told, both Mathilda and her husband wasted any time in getting to North Dakota. After all she had a daughter and an unborn son to worry about. After the divorce she married my grandfather. To that union, which would be her last, my uncle and late dad were born.

Wally Rutter
Go to Top of Page

Wally
Medium member

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  02:46:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I may continue, let me say I am at a loss, because I don;t speak Norweigen. I speak only English and a little German.
Anyway shortly after the marriage the family moved to a claim in extreme Western McLean County, North Dakota. Then before the divorce, the couple lived in 2 towns in that area.

Wally Rutter
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  15:30:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Wally,

By a claim, usually people assume its a homestead claim. Searching at the land patent site www.glorecords.blm.gov there are several E /A Onstad/ Ohnstad names but none in McLean County. Likewise, there are none to Mathilda Iverson. The only claim in McLean is this for Ida M. Onstad:

ONSTAD, IDA M ND McLean 10/22/1919 Minot 012535 714496

A copy of Ida's original patent, should she be of interest, is also downloadable in a graphic format. Otherwise you click on the tabs to get the exact legal description of the land.

Another record to help sort homestead claims for people coming from foreign countries is that they must have filed their first papers to become a naturalized citizen in order to be eligible to file a homestead. These "declarations of intention" for North Dakota and Minnesota are each searchable online. I looked but didnot find for Mathilda Iverson in North Dakota. The Minnesota site for this is:
www.ironrangeresearchcenter.org The person was not required to complete the citizenship process to get their homestead but only to have filed their declaration of intent.

So it appears unlikely that the Onstads got their land from the federal government. That means that their transaction should be on file at the McLean County courthouse in Washburn, N.D. You could write to find both when they purchased and when it was sold. Names are usually included and sometimes residences of participants are included.

You might also be interested to read newspapers from the time the family came to McLean. The State Historical Society of North Dakota has an entire collection on microfilm which may be borrowed for a small fee and viewed at your local facility. www.nd.gov/hist/sal

One other reason to look into the baptism records of any children of the couple is that the "godparents" listed are usually friends or relatives. It's sometimes easier to find a whole family of people than it is to find one individual.

Good Luck,

Jackie M.

Go to Top of Page

Wally
Medium member

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  20:00:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jackie, this is the homesead where they first settled. As said before, it is confusing as Ohmstead is used intercgangely witth Onstad.
From there the couple moved to Underwood and later to Turtle Lake.

Wally Rutter
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  23:30:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Wally,

Mathilda and Ellend were included in the 1905 Minnesota State Census for Freeborn County, Riceland Township. The census date is 5 June 1905. Ellend J. Ohnstad is listed as a harness maker and though the number was crossed out, it looks like the original answer for the number of years living in the state is 10. Ellend's age is given as 35 and that he was born in Norway as were his parents. Mathilda's age is given as 30 years, birthplace as Iowa and her parents were born in Norway, her residency in Minnesota is given as 8 months. There are two children in the household an Edward Iverson and a Mable C. Iverson. Edward is aged 3 and born in Iowa and his residency in the state is 7 months. Mable is aged 5, also born in Iowa and the same length of residency as Edward's 7 months.

Hope this is of interest.

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

Wally
Medium member

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  00:43:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jackie, As such a long time has passed, I am not trying to bring out dirty linen.
Having said that. am I to assume Ellend was married to Anne before he married my grandmother?

Wally Rutter
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  03:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Wally,

Well, it's not known, it is, that the two Ellends are the same man or do you have some family stories to that effect? There are a few differences between the biographical profile of the men, age for one,(34 in 1900 and 35 in 1905) and what happened to the three little children from the marriage with Anne? (They grew up, to be sure, as they are found in later census records. One is found in Washington state in either 1920 or 1930 census and that is why I looked in the Washington state death records online for Ellend.) But on the other hand the two men have the same name and are in the same geographical area, follow the same occupation, harness maker, in both 1900 & 1905, and do not appear to overlap in the records, so it's not impossible that they are identical.

Mathilda may have been married before, however. In the 1910 census she is married to your grandfather Edward Rutter and Mable is in the household listed as a "step daughter." Iverson may not have been Mathilda's "maiden" name but rather her married name. What do you know about your dad's half sister Mabel and half brother Edward?

Do you know if Mathilda and Ohnstad had any children together, even ones which died as infants?

I guess my best advice is to aggressively collect the records you can to bring as much information to bear on the question of who Ellend Ohnstad was.

Jackie M.

Edited by - jkmarler on 07/01/2009 15:10:07
Go to Top of Page

Wally
Medium member

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  19:28:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jackie according to to divorce papers, which I have read and reread, the answer is no.
It was most likely a marriage of convience. After all my grandmother still had 2 sons left in Iowa with her exin-laws.

Wally Rutter
Go to Top of Page

Wally
Medium member

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  19:41:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jackie, while, of course, I have a family record going quite far back, offsprings born of parents from the US carried the same last name of thier father.
Thus since my father's last name Rutter, my last name is Rutter.

Wally Rutter
Go to Top of Page

Wally
Medium member

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  02:23:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jackie, as I am talking to you, I have the divorce certicate in front of me.
At the trial, my grandmother said she was taking care of herself and her 2 Iverson children, she was working at a section house in Turtle Lake. It may seem a bit ironic but my late grandfather was the section foreman. In fact my late dad was born in the section house.
One final thing the question of offspring was brought and my grandmother said she had none by him.

Wally Rutter
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  08:15:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Wally,

Well, I did a little looking today and found out about the Elling Ohnstad in the ND Death index born 1870 and died 1958. I think he can be eliminated from consideration. He was one of 8 children of a Henrik Ohnstad who came to America from Aadalen, Ringerike in 1882 and settled in Walsh County, Dakota Territory in 1883. Virtually no details matched, but curiously he and his family lived in Albert Lea, Minnesota 1882-1883!

The biographical information found in the 1900 census, the E**** Ohnstad who was married to Anne were these:

Name: Elling J. Ohnstad
Birth date: May 1866
Birth place: Norway
Parents' birthplaces: both father and mother Norway
Year of migration: 1893
Citizenship status: Naturalized
Marital Status: married for 7 6 years
Residence: on First street in Albert Lea, Freeborn County, Minnesota
Length of Residence in state: Not asked but calculated from birthplaces of children, Minnesota since at least Feb 1895
Length of Residence in district: Not asked

From the 1905 Minnesota state census:

Name: Ellend J. Ohnstad
Birthdate: Not asked
Birthplace: Norway
Parents' birthplaces: both father and mother Norway
Year of migration: Not asked
Citizenship status: Not asked
Marital status: Not asked
Residence: Riceland, Freeborn County, Minnesota
Length of residence in State: 10 years (crossed out, may be 15)
Length of residence in district: 1 year 1 month (crossed out)

I wasn't able to find E**** in the 1910 census and didn't have an opportunity to look in the 1920 census. So based on the information there is, it appears the E*** from 1900 and 1905 are the same man or are likeliest to be the same man.

Okay, so Mathilda didn't have children with Ohnstad. But curiously in the 1910 census, the question was asked mother of how many children and the answer was 5 and how many are living the answer was 5 and there are only 3 in the household, Mabel, Eddie Iverson and William Rutter. If the census is right, who & where are the other two?

Hilsen,
Jackie M.

Edited by - jkmarler on 11/01/2009 16:49:45
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  12:29:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jackie -- Be sure and read the previous threads about this family that Wally R. has posted here before.
Go to Top of Page

Wally
Medium member

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  19:56:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It really doesn't matter, if it ever did, but my grandmother was born in Norwar on 1875.
The whole preface of my question was when Anne died. I know her first husband died in Iowa on 1901.

Wally Rutter
Go to Top of Page

Wally
Medium member

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  21:55:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that the last of the siblings was born in 1897. Would I be safe to assume Anne died in childbirth or shortly thereafter

Wally Rutter
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  14:15:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Wally,

No to the 1897 (and actually Almer Ohnstad, the youngest kid in 1900 family is listed as having been born in Oct 1899 so 1897 not right all the way round) date for your assumption. Anne is still living in 1900. So your dates are between 9 June 1900 (date of the census in which she last appears or some other record which dates her still later living if you have such) and the marriage date of Mathilda and Ellend (as long as you are satisfied he's the same man as married Anne then Mathilda) in 1904.

Since Anne may or may not appear in the Minnesota online death index, you will have to first find a record of her death, or of her funeral, or of her burial in county records, church records, possibly newspapers, or headstone transcriptions (if she was given a headstone).

Good Luck

Jackie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article