All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Føly, Foley, Folie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Archer Acton
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  04:50:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trying to determine where the last name "Føly" came from. Was it a farm or city name?

Traced my ancestors to being on the Bark Juno in 1844 (arrival in NY June 24). Was this a direct trip from Bergen? Strange that the Brig Albion also left Bergen on that day arriving in NY on July 10th. Would they have attempted to be sailing together -- if they were trying to be together they obviously failed.)

http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_list.asp?jo=956 (Bark Juno Passenger List)
They are:
ID 3238345 John Nilsen Føly 24 m
ID 3238446 Johanne Føly* 24 f
ID 3238547 Marthe Johnsdatter* Føly* 9mo f
ID 3238648 Siver Elingsen Føly* 20 m
ID 3238749 Lars Olsen Hove 23 m
ID 3238850 Sigrei Nilsdatter* Milang 21 f

They arrive in NY, then disappear from any records I can find until John & Johanne Foley show up in the 1865 Illinois Census - Their daughter Marthe apparently dead at this time (no record)? But four young children ages 0-11.

An interesting part of the story is that John dies within a year or two of this census (family history says the "black death" or is it the "black plague") during a trip to Chicago. -- Then Lars Olsen Hove suddenly reappears from nowhere and marries Johanne (no official marriage record I can find). Lars takes the last name of Foley and they move to Minnesota.

I'm trying to find any information on this group before their journey from Norway in 1844 -- and then the events after their arrival in NY.

(I'm guessing they took the Erie Canal journey and wound up near Milwaukee or Chicago.)

And, are John Nilsen Føly and Siver Elingsen Føly related? Do their "middle" names indicate different parents? Cousins? Not related at all?

I can find no records of:
ID 3238648 Siver Elingsen Føly* 20 m
ID 3238850 Sigrei Nilsdatter* Milang 21 f
after they arrive in NY? It appears that Sigrei was a traveling companion only by virtue of being listed next to them on the arrival list.

Spelling can appear as Føly, Foly, Foley, Foli, Folie

Sorry, lots of questions. Any answers are much appreciated.

Archer

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9225 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  05:24:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Transcription of names can make it very difficult to find people. For example here is how Ancestry.com lists the arrival of John Nilsen Føly. If you look at the orginal ships manifest you can clearly see that the name is John Nilsen Foly age 27.

Name: John Wilson Foly
Arrival Date: 24 Jun 1844
Estimated birth year: abt 1817
Port of Departure: Bergen, Norway
Ship Name: Juno
Search Ship Database: Search the Juno in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 45
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9225 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  05:30:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Example two is the transcription of Siver Elingsen Føly. Not as bad as the first one.

Name: Irver Elingson Foly
Arrival Date: 24 Jun 1844
Estimated birth year: abt 1824
Port of Departure: Bergen, Norway
Ship Name: Juno
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  05:34:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

This source Norwegian Immigrants to the United States: A Biographical Directory 1825-1850, Volume 2 1844-1846, by Gerhard B. Naeseth, 1997, pages 5-6 contains information on each of the people you have mentioned, including birth/baptism dates, parents' names, marriage dates etc.. John Nielsen Føli's death is given as October 1849 and that the family settled in Boone Township, Boone County, Illinois. The daughter Marthe was buried on 1 June 1847. All the folks you mentioned were from Vik in Sogn and all first settled in Boone county, Illinois. Some stayed there and others moved on.

Judging from the information stating a "burial" record I'd guess that the church mentioned as a source in the article is where you might find some information. The name is Long Prairie Lutheran. The Bygdebok for Vik i Sogn III is mentioned as the source for information about these people, John, Johanne and Marthe as page 410, Iver Ellingson as page 405, Lars Olson Hove on page 537, Sigrid Nielsdatter Midlang on page 614. Føli is rendered in the text also as Fyli.

There is a note in Lars' paragraph concerning a "Luce Larsdatter Hove was buried June 1, 1847" which might indicate that Lars was married before he married Johanne or at least had a baby before. Further research needed. The note is definately under your Lars but interesting the Albion which you also mentioned, also was carrying lots of folks from Vik i Sogn and a number who also settled in Boone County. On the Albion is a married Lars Johnsen Hove whose parents are identified as Jon Larsen Hove and Lussi Olsdatter Orvedal. Following the Norwegian naming customs of the time, this family would have been much more likely to have a daughter named Luce probably after her grandmother Lussi than your Lars, so I've lined out the info above.

You can try to get this book via ILL. It is my understanding that if you don't find a library willing to loan it you might be able to get photocopies of the pertinent pages from a library which has the volume

One other source mentioned in the paragraphs is this book: Ein stad skal ein vera: utvandring fra Vik i Sogn by Rasmus Sunde, 1989.

All the American Lutheran Church (which included most of the Norwegian Lutheran Church) records then existing were microfilmed in the 1970s and you can contact the archivist at www.elca.org to find if the Long Prairie or any other church registers are available.

Good Luck....

Jackie M.

Edited by - jkmarler on 08/04/2010 05:50:52
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  13:20:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Traced my ancestors to being on the Bark Juno in 1844 (arrival in NY June 24). Was this a direct trip from Bergen? Strange that the Brig Albion also left Bergen on that day arriving in NY on July 10th. Would they have attempted to be sailing together -- if they were trying to be together they obviously failed.)

The information available on the pages on this website for those ship voyages list Bergen to New York - so "direct trip" was indicated. If anything else happened on the actual voyage perhaps you would find mention of that on the papers filed at the port of arrival.

Sailing together? What for? Some ships were faster than others, some captains and crews were better than others, some ships caught better winds than others.

quote:
Trying to determine where the last name "Føly" came from. Was it a farm or city name?

Farm in Vik, Sogn og Fjordane, Norway. Farm is spelled as "Føli" in 1801 and 1865 Norwegian census databases.

Edited by - Hopkins on 08/04/2010 13:21:44
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  14:35:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'm trying to find any information on this group before their journey from Norway in 1844

Available digital info:
John Nilsen and Johanne were the parents of Marthe Johnsdatter.
John Nielsen, Føli (25) and Johanne Olsdatter, Hønsi (21) married Jan 10 1842, see #4.
Marthe Johnsdatter, Føli, born July 27 1843, see #78.
John Nielsen was bapt Jan 1 1817, see right page. His parents Niels Helgesen, Føli (1777) and widow Martha Iversdatter, Hønsie (1790) married June 21 1816, see right page.
Johane Olsdatter was bapt June 11 1820, see right page her parents were Ole Guttormsen, Hønsie and Syneva Iversdatter.

Siver Elingsen is most likely Iver Ellingsen, confirmed Nov 4 1838, see #5 he was born Febr 4, bapt Febr 8 1824, see #28. His parents were Elling Iversen, Føli and Anna Olsdatter.
He moved out of Vik 1844 to emigrate to Amerika, see #65.

Lars Olsen, Hove was bapt Dec 22 1820, see right page. His parents were Ole Larsen and Kari Andersdatter.

Sigrei Nilsdatter, Milang - most likely the one born out of wedlock March 9 1824, see
#41. Her mother was Syniva Thorsdatter, Holstad and her father was Niels Olsen, Refsdahl.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 18/04/2010 07:02:07
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9225 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  15:17:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might have too broaden your search out to other naming conventions other than just versions of Foley. In the 1850 US Census there arre 417 people living in Boone County, Illinois who were born in Norway. Among them is a Ever Ellingson born about 1824. Could this be Siver Ellingson Føly. Maybe, but it will take some digging to figure it out.

Name: Ever Ellingson
Estimated birth year: abt 1824
Birth Place: Norway
Home in 1850 (City,County,State): Le Roy, Boone, Illinois

Edited by - AntonH on 08/04/2010 15:38:43
Go to Top of Page

Archer Acton
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  19:46:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all of you for your responses.

There's a lot to digest and explore.

I'll need to figure out how John dies in October of 1849, yet seems to be alive for the 1865 Illinois Census.

I'm quite delighted to learn so much from you!

Archer
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  20:02:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(Siver) actually Iver Ellingsens parents, widower Ellend (Elling) Iversen, Førli and Anna Olsdatter, Tennold were married May 15 1817, see 2nd couple in 1817.
Iver had a sister Britha Ellingsdatter who was bapt Jan 7 1818, see middle of left page.
John Nielsens mother, her parents, Iver and Guro, and her siblings in 1801.
John Nielsens father, his parents Helge and Brita, and his siblings in 1801.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 08/04/2010 20:10:24
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9225 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  04:04:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would this then be Johanne Foley as an older probably widow with her son John age 34, his wife Louise age 27 and son Leonard age 1

Name: Johanna Foley
Census Date: 1895
County: Freeborn
Locality: Bancroft
Birth Location: Norway
Estimated birth year: abt 1820
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9225 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  04:13:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If above is correct then this is Johanne and second husband Lars in 1880 US Census.

Name: Johanna Foli
Home in 1880: Bancroft, Freeborn, Minnesota
Estimated birth year: abt 1821
Birthplace: Norway
Relation to Head of Household: Wife
Spouse's name: Lars O.
Father's birthplace: Norway
Mother's birthplace: Norway
Neighbors: View others on page
Marital Status: Married
Household Members: Name Age
Lars O. Foli 58
Johanna Foli 59
Oline Foli 25
Ole Foli 21
John Foli 17
Nels Foli 15
Lize Foli 13

daughter Lize born in Minnesota, rest born in Illinois.

In Minnesota 1867 in Illinois from 1855 to 1865

Edited by - AntonH on 09/04/2010 04:23:58
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9225 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  04:44:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now in the 1870 US Census the famly uses the name Olson. Here is the citation for Johanna . The husband is named Louis and the children are
Kare 19
Oline 26
Martha 14
Ole 11
John 9
Nils 6
all born in Illinois
Lise 3 born in Minnesota

Name: Johanna Olson
Birth Year: abt 1820
Age in 1870: 50
Home in 1870: Bancroft, Freeborn, Minnesota
Race: White
Value of real estate: View image
Post Office: Albert Lea
Johanna Olson 50

Go to Top of Page

Archer Acton
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  05:33:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lyndal40 wrote:
quote:
Would this then be Johanne Foley as an older probably widow with her son John age 34, his wife Louise age 27 and son Leonard age 1

Yes, this is her.

lyndal40 wrote:
quote:
... this is Johanne and second husband Lars in 1880 US Census

Yes, this is her

lyndal40 wrote:
quote:
Now in the 1870 US Census the family uses the name Olson. Here is the citation for Johanna . The husband is named Louis and the children are ...

I have not seen this before!
Didn't think to search using Olson.
I don't see the Census Image but it seems likely that "Louis" must really be "Lars"? Lars Olson Hove
Family history says that all the children were from John, the original husband.
John's death, reported/quoted by jkmarler to be in 1849 doesn't correlate with this. I need to figure out if 1849 death date is true.
Would Johanne and Lars have a traceable marriage certificate? (Guessing it would be after 1866 to keep the informal history accurate. (John would have survived his 1849 death - waiting until the mid to late 1860's to perish.))

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9225 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  06:11:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now logically they should be living in Illinois in 1860. Here is the only candidate I was able to find searching the 1860 US Census on Ancestry.com.

Name: Anna Oleson
Age in 1860: 40
Birth Year: abt 1820
Home in 1860: Boone, Boone, Illinois
Post Office: Boone

With rest of family as such.
Lewis Oleson 38
Anna Oleson 40
Ole Lewisson 12
Betsey Lewisson 14
Laura Lewisson 9
John Lewisson 5/12
Betsy Knuteson 56

Not every thing matches so it is a little uncertain.

Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  06:11:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Johanne had a sister Anna bapt. July 10 1810, see in this topic.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 09/04/2010 06:12:59
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9225 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  06:20:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going back further to 1850 this is the only candidate I find, even more uncertain.

Name: Hannah Oleson
Estimated birth year: abt 1820
Birth Place: Norway
Home in 1850 (City,County,State): Boone, Boone, Illinois
Family Number: 65
Lewis Oleson 29
Hannah Oleson 30
Allson Oleson 5
Susan Oleson 2

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article