All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Føly, Foley, Folie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  06:32:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if this could be the marriage of Hannah (Johanna) here called Olsdatter as is her sister in the other topic and she is above.

Name: Hannah Olesdotter
Spouse: Lewis Oleson
Date: 12 Oct 1849
County: Boone
State: Illinois
Source: County Court Records at Belvidere, IL

If this Hannah Olesdatter is the same as Johanna Olsdatter Foley, she married Lars (Lewis, Louis) the same month that her first husband John died (see Jackie's date for Johns death).

You can obtain a copy of this marriage here
http://www.ilsos.gov/GenealogyMWeb/MarriageSearchServlet

Click on Services, Government Records, State Archives Database Search, Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, Search the Statewide Marriage Index, Enter Oleson and Boone County

Edited by - AntonH on 09/04/2010 15:24:21
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  15:09:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just an update, I went back and looked in the 1870 US Census for Boone County, Illinois to see if I could find a Johanna or Hanna and Louis or Lewis Olson or Oleson but could not find people matching these names. So it is possible that Hannah and Lewis Oleson from Illinois of 1850 and 1860 are the same as Johanna and Louis Olson from Minnesota of 1870.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  17:32:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lynda,

Does Ancestry have the mortality schedules for the 1850 census available? If John died in October 1849 I think it would be covered. If the date is merely a statement that he was dead by October 1849 (since the puted wife is marrying another) then his death could have occured at some other time (between the conception of his last child and the time his wife remarried.)

This is a sort of self fulfilling prophecy (since the database was Naeseth's) but the Gerhard Naeseth database at the digitalarkivet has transcriptions which show Lewis and Hannah in 1850:

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=36&filnamn=US1850&gardpostnr=11845&merk=11845#ovre

Lewis Oleson 29 m f Norway 80 Boone Boone Illinois Lars Olsen Hove, utv. 1844
11846 Hannah Oleson 30 f Norway 80 Boone Boone Illinois Johanne Olsdtr Føli, utv. 1844
11847 Allson Oleson 5 m Illinois 80 Boone Boone Illinois Ole
11848 Susan Oleson 2 f Illinois 80 Boone Boone Illinois Synnøve

The church (in Illinois or those later in Minnesota) may also have a marriage record and the baptismal records of the children. The marriage record would likely indicate marital status of the partners (single or widowed) and the baptisms would indicate father's name. If the two oldest children survived, since it seems likely that their father was John, their confirmation records would also be useful indicators of parent names, as might their death records if either survived until such time as this type of information was taken on a d.c.

Here is mncounty.com take on Foley prior to 1900:
MN County Certificate # Date Groom's Name Bride's Name
FREEBORN BK B PAGE 294-4 7/13/1886 FOLEY, DANIEL FITZGERALD, NELLIE A
FREEBORN BK B PAGE 340-4 2/13/1888 KORNGLUND, HANS J FOLEY, SYNNEVE H
FREEBORN BK C PAGE 218-5 3/25/1896 FOLEY, IVER MEDLANG, ANNA

There are several other families of the Foley, Foli, Føli name in Freeborn County who also hail from Vik i Sogn, mentioned in Nordmaendene i Amerika.

I'd expect our querist already has this information as found in the database at the iron range center, not clear if there is any further information on her, but would also like to point out the Freeborn County Genealogical Society has an excellent index available (not online) of the Albert Lea and a few other newspapers and getting an obit would be relatively painless:

First Name Last Name Middle Name
JOHANA FOLI

AKA:
Maiden Name:
M/F:
Birth Date:
Birth Place:
Date of Death: 2/2/1903
City: BANCROFT
County: FREEBORN
State: Minnesota
Age at Death:
Book No:
Reg No:
Page No:
Obit on File:
Interment:
Cemetery:
OPage:
Volume:
Reel #: 27
Frame #: 42
Source: Minnesota Death Cards
Comments:

Hilsen,
Jackie M.

Edited by - jkmarler on 09/04/2010 18:34:17
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  18:57:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

This may be your John Foli from the blm site:
Image Patentee Name State County Issue
Date Land Office Doc.Nr. Accession/Serial Nr.
NIELSON, JOHN IL Boone 4/10/1848 Chicago 20465 IL1110__.320
NIELSON, JOHN IL Boone 3/1/1848 Chicago 22055 IL1140__.356

Proving would have required a trip to Chicago Land Office and if this is your John and he died near the time of 1848-1850 there would likely be more action concerning the property at the Boone County Courthouse. At the blm site you can view the original patent and get a full legal description of the property.

http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/PatentSearch/Results.asp?QryId=46136.09

Hilsen,
Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

Archer Acton
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  23:11:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to absorb all this. More difficult because it doesn't fit my preconceived idea of events.

First, my thought that I had located John Foly in the 1865 Illinois census is wrong. That John Foly was in Sangamon County, and the ages of the children made sense but not their gender.

Second, the name alterations are hard to grasp. Johanna to Hannah, Olesdotter not Foly, Not Foley but Nielsen, not Lars but Lewis, not Hove but Olson/Oleson. (and others too).

Finally, yeah, it looks most likely like John died within 5 years of arrival in the US and Lars & Johanna (by whatever first/last names) began creating the family that eventually became the Foley/Folie family.

I'm still digesting the "facts" and am grateful for the information and pointers you all have provided. WOW!
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  16:31:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hi Lynda,

Does Ancestry have the mortality schedules for the 1850 census available?

Yes, but I could not find him.

Anton
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  22:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ole Larsen, Hove and Kari Andersdatter, Hove were married June 24 1816, see middle of right page.
Ole larsen, his parents and his siblings in 1801.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

RitaPeterson
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  03:43:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I came upon this site while assisting a Foley descendant in identifying some old tintype photos.

I am not a professional researcher, but may be able to help fill in a few blanks. I have been loaned a Folie/Foley family history that was prepared in 1983 by a granddaughter of Nels Folie/Foley. Much of the work is undocumented, but appears to be accurate. I am not doing an extensive study of the family as my main objective was to just try to indentify a couple of old pictures. However, as often is the case with family history, the more information you find; the more you are pulled in :)

The booklet is entitled "Roots and Relationships, The Nels Foley Family". It was compiled by Helen Foley Mattick in 1983. In the preface, it states the information came from various sources; including family, gravestone markers and newclippings. This was written in pre-internet days.

Mrs. Mattick's research focuses primarily on her grandparents - Nels Foley and Nellie Vold Foley.

Here is a transcript of the first three pages which cover her earliest Folie/Foley information -

The follwoing is a brief history of NELS FOLEY'S parents and brothers and sisters.

The roots of the FOLEY Family go back to Sogn, Norway. Little is known about the whereabouts of the family, if any are still living, in Norway.

This history begins with LARS HOVE who was married to JOHANNA FOLIE in Sogn, Norway. Lars Hove took the last name of his wife Johanna. Therefore, the name Folie.

Very little could be found in record books about the Folie's travels to America. At one time they lived in Illinois, near Belvidere and Capron, where the children were born.

The LARS FOLIE Family came to Clarks Grove, Minnesota and homesteaded the farm now occupied by Lawrence Folie. Records show that they were members of the East Freeborn Lutheran Church in 1888.

LARS FOLIE - my grandfather - was born December 11, 1820 in Sogn, Norway. He died November 22, 1893 in Clarks Grove, Minnesota, and was buried in the East Freeborn Cemetery, Lerdal, Minnesota.

JOHANNA FOLIE - my grandmother - was born June 11, 1820 in Sogn, Norway, and died February 2, 1903 at Clarks Grove, Minnesota. She is buried in the East Freeborn Lutheran Cemetery, Lerdal, MInnesota.

Lars and Johanna Folie had seven children:

1. KARI (CARRIE)
Born January 26, 1851 at Capron, Illinois.
Died April 6, 1938 at Bancroft.
She married Endre J. Stadheim July 28, 1872.
She had ten children:
JOHN, BERT, OLE, HANNAH, CLARA, LOUIS, EDDIE.
Two boys died the same night from diptheria.
One was 7 years old, the other 1-1/2 years.

2. LENA
Born October 28, 1854 at Carpon, Illinois.
Died March 18, 1948 at Albert Lea.
She never married.
She and her brother Ole were owners of the Folie
Restaurant on West Clark Street, Albert Lea, Minnesota, from
about 1900 - 1940. This was the building now occupied by
Berg Realty.
She retired to her home on Garfield and Main Street in Albert
Lea, where she died.
She and her sister Lizzie made their home together.

3. OLE L.
Born January 2, 1859.
Died August 4, 1914 at Albert Lea, Minnesota.
He married Caroline Hanson.
He had two sons:
HARVEY LEVINE
Born December 27, 1892.
Was buttermaker at Lerdal Creamery.
Married Thea Runden on March 17, 1917.

JOSEPH O.
Born July 25, 1884.
Died November 11, 1981.
Married Nettie Runden
Married Alvina Fields.

4. JOHN
Born June, 1863.
Died July 31, 1934.
He married Louisa Haugen, daugher of Ole Tollefson
Haugen.
He had eleven children:
LEONARD, STELLA, TOLLEF, OLE, LARS, EDNA, MARVEL,
LAWRENCE, SHERMAN, PHILLIP, and GEHARD.

5. MARTHA
Died when she was about sixteen.

6. NELS
Born September 20, 1864 at Capron, Illiniois.
Died May 30, 1931 at Albert Lea, Minnesota.
He married Nellie Vold, daughter of Anna and Johanna Vold,
on November 20, 1888.
He had twelve children:
ELMER, JOSEPH, CLARENCE, HENRY, NORA, NORMAN,
ALFRED, AVIS, CARL LeROY, ALICE, HELEN, and ARTHUR.
He farmed all of his life.

7. LIZZIE
Born April 30, 1867.
Died March 24, 1954 at Albert Lea, Minnesota.
She was never married but had one son GEORGE.
He was born August, 1890, and died in 1950.

At this point, the booklet moves to the Vold family and how Nellie Vold married Nels Foley. It continues with their descendants. A point of interest regarding the spelling of Folie/Folie - At the beginning of the booklet the name is spelled Folie, as in Lars and Johanna Folie. The spelling changes when the booklet progresses to the marriage of Nels Foley to Nellie Vold. There is no explanation given, but local and family lore states that Nels Foley and a brother parted ways and wanted to completely disassociate from each other, right down to the spelling of their surnames.

Some further clarification and additions of my own -

Lars and Johanna Folie are buried at the East Freeborn Lutheran Church in Bancroft Township, Freeborn County, Minnesoa. Sometimes this church and cemetery have been referred to as just the "East Church" and "Bancroft Church", which can be confusing. The East Freeborn Lutheran Church and Cemetery are very near the now defunct village of Lerdal, but are actually in Bancroft Township. I have photos of the the gravestones of Lars and Johanna Folie if anyone is interested.

Kari (Carrie) Foley Stadheim and husband Endre Stadheim are also buried at the East Freeborn Lutheran Cemtery. I have photos of their gravestones.

Ole J. Foley and wife Caroline Hanson are buried at the East Freeborn Lutheran Cemetery and I have pictures of these gravestones.

Sherman and Philip Folie (sons of John and Louisa) are buried at the East Freeborn Lutheran Cemetery. I have pictures of the gravestones.

There is also an Elling and Anna Hove buried at the East Freeborn Lutheran Cemetery, but I don't know if they connect to Lars Hove.

I have found a very good account of the immigration of the early Sogniner to Boone County, Illinois in the book "History of the Norwegian Settlements: A translated and expanded verson of the 1908 De Norske Settlementers Historie and the 1930 Den Siste Folkevandring Sagastubber fra Nyggerlivet i Amerika" by Halmar Rued Holand and translated by Malcolm Roshold and Helmer M. Blegen. This book is an excellent resource and is available at Astri My Astri Publishing. Well-worth the price.

In this book, it names the passengers of the Brock-ship and Vingaard-ship. It also describes their journey at sea and how one ship arrived three weeks ahead of the other.

The book states that John Fylie (Folie) was a passenger and along with Lars Olson Hove, Lars Jensen Hove, and Lars Johnson Hove, among others.

So I am wondering this - Was Johanna Folie first married to John Fylie (Folie), had a child Martha and was later widowed? Did did she marry her second husband Lars Hove, but kept the surname of her deceased first husband Folie? She and Lars both used the name Folie?

Finally, getting back to the tintypes I mentioned initially. We think one may be of Nels and Nellie Foley on their wedding day and the other might be Nellie Vold Foley's parents and siblings. If anyone connects to that branch, and would like to see the photos, please let me know.

My apologies that this is such a long post.

Rita
Go to Top of Page

Archer Acton
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  18:01:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler
This is a sort of self fulfilling prophecy (since the database was Naeseth's) but the Gerhard Naeseth database at the digitalarkivet has transcriptions which show Lewis and Hannah in 1850:

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=36&filnamn=US1850&gardpostnr=11845&merk=11845#ovre

Lewis Oleson 29 m f Norway 80 Boone Boone Illinois Lars Olsen Hove, utv. 1844
11846 Hannah Oleson 30 f Norway 80 Boone Boone Illinois Johanne Olsdtr Føli, utv. 1844
11847 Allson Oleson 5 m Illinois 80 Boone Boone Illinois Ole
11848 Susan Oleson 2 f Illinois 80 Boone Boone Illinois Synnøve

Hilsen,
Jackie M.

This has become a bit of a mystery.
Who were Allson and Susan?
Were they children of Lars (Lewis) or Hannah (Jahanne) from a previous union?
Any indication that Lars was married previously?
What was the fate of these children?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  05:06:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

The original source I quoted earlier (Norwegian Immigrants to the United States Volume 2) says that John Nielsen Føli and Johanne Olsdatter Hønsi had 3 children born in U.S. a Niels born 17 Dec 1845, a Niels baptized 27 Oct 1846 who was buried 9 Mar 1851 and a Synneva born 12 May 1848. It might be possible that the two Niels' are really one person but that is something you will have to examine the (apparent church) records to judge for yourself. Allson might be a Yankee mangling of Niels but Synneva is often "Anglicized" to Susan.

About a prior wife for Lars Olsen Hove, none is mentioned in the copy. However in the index there is a mention of a Lars Jensen Hove also from Vik baptized 18 Oct 1818. This Lars Jensen came on the Albion in 1844.

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  05:09:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For what it is worth, the 1855 Illinois Census in Ancestry.com shows a family with one male age 20 to 30 and one male 30 to 40. As well as four females three under ten and one age 30 to 40. Does not quite compute with the data from 1850 Census but it is close.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  07:19:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe records for John Nielsen, Føli and Johanna Olsdatter with their daughter Martha moving out of Vik to go to "Amerika" could be of interest, see #54, 55 and 56.

The record for Lars Olsen, Hove (Johannas (Hanna) 2nd husband) is #52.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  17:42:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Volume 2 also says this about the daughter Martha:

"buried June 1, 1847."

Among the sources for the entry is listed Long Prairie Lutheran Church records.

Hilsen,
Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

RitaPeterson
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  08:20:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
Thank you to everyone for your posts and additional insights. I am recovering from hip surgery and haven't been able to sit at the computer until recently. I hope to resume this research soon.

Rita
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  00:18:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The book states that John Fylie (Folie) was a passenger and along with Lars Olson Hove, Lars Jensen Hove, and Lars Johnson Hove, among others.

So I am wondering this - Was Johanna Folie first married to John Fylie (Folie), had a child Martha and was later widowed? Did did she marry her second husband Lars Hove, but kept the surname of her deceased first husband Folie? She and Lars both used the name Folie?

See posting 10/09/2010 : 07:19:18

Marthe born Aug 9 1842, see #60.
John and Johanne were married Jan 10 1842, see #4.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 10/11/2010 00:21:50
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article