All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Føly, Foley, Folie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Archer Acton
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  05:20:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just an FYI about my current focus here. (There's plenty of branches to explore! Don't feel limited because of little old me!)

I'm quite interested in the offspring of John and Johanna.
  • Martha seems pretty well documented.

• The "Susan/Synneve" and "Niels" (2 of them?) and/or "Allson" seem to be born but I haven't seen their deaths recorded.

And I hope to find a death certificate for John or some documentation of his death.

Seems like John, Johanna, and Lars abandoned the 'farm' names (Føly and Hove) when they arrived in Illinois from Norway. John using Nielson while Lars used Oleson or Olson. It appears that Lars and Johanna began using the name 'Foley' or some variation of it when they moved to Minnesota. I'm wondering why?

Side Note: I did use much of the information provided in this thread in a small presentation to a Folie/Foley reunion in September 2010. Some of this is 'new' history and it is much appreciated by the family descendants of Johanna and Lars. Our thanks to you all.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  07:04:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Johanne Olsdatter had a sister Anna (born 1810) confirmated in 1826, see #16, and
a sister Marita (born 1808) confirmated in 1823, see
#19, and
a sister Guraa (born 1805) confirmated 1821, see #14.

Ole Guttormsen, Tistel and Synneva Iversdatter, Hønsie were married May 20 1804, see 3rd couple from bottom of right page.

Synnevas parents were Iver Kieldsen and Guro Størksdatter, see 1801 census.

Ole Guttormsens parents were Guttorm Olsen and Marta Jonsdatter, see 1801 census.

Guttorm Olsen, Stadem and widow Marta Jonsdatter, Tistel were married July 30 1775, see near bottom of right page.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 10/11/2010 09:21:11
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  07:30:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nils Helgesen, his parents and siblings at Føli in

John Nielsens mother, Marta Iversdatter, was a sister of Synneve Iversdatter, Johanes mother, see 1801.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 10/11/2010 09:28:45
Go to Top of Page

RitaPeterson
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  07:13:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I found an obituary for Johanna Folie. Not very informative. Seems like women often got short-changed in summing up their lives.

Mrs. Johanna Folie, mother of Ole Folie, the former west Clark street restaurant man, died at her home in Bancroft Sunday night. The deceased was about 80 years of age and had resided in Freeborn county many years. The funeral services will be held from the East Norwegian Lutheran church, today, Rev. H. J. Strand officiating.

February 4, 1903 Freeborn County Times, Albert Lea, Minnesota.

Notes – Per her gravestone, Johanna Folie was born June 11, 1820 and died February 2, 1903.
East Norwegian Lutheran church refers to the East Freeborn Lutheran Church of rural Freeborn County, Minnesota.
Go to Top of Page

RitaPeterson
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2011 :  07:47:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found an obituary for Lars Folie. It doesn't give a lot of information though.

Lars Olsen Hove Folie Obituary

DIED

FOLE – At his home in Bancroft, November 22, 1892, Lars Fole, age about 72 years.

Mr. Fole has been a resident of the town of Bancroft since the spring of 1866, when he arrived here from Illinois. He came to the United States from Norway in 1844, being among the first Norwegians to locate in the northwest. He was highly esteemed by all who knew him and was an upright and worthy citizen. He had been in poor health for nearly two years but he was able to be around until about two weeks ago when he became bed-ridden. He leaves a wife and a family of grown children to mourn his death. The funeral will be held at the East Bancroft Lutheran church next Friday. The family of the deceased have the sympathy of a host of friends in their bereavement.

November 24, 1892, Albert Lea Enterprise, Albert Lea, Minnesota.

Go to Top of Page

RitaPeterson
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2011 :  08:01:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re John Nilsen Foli - there is mention of Lars Johnson Haave and Joe Folie in George T. Fom's book "History of Norwegian Immigration to the United States from the Earliest Beginnings to the Year 1848". You can view the book for free at
www.openlibrary.org Type in the book title and click on the read icon. It's not necessary to download the book unless you want to. Chapters 31 and 32 are of interest. I'm not sure that the author had all his information listed correctly. He talks about the Albion, Juno and Kong Sverre ships and their passengers but may have them mixed up. Lars O. Folie and Joe Folie (did the author mean John Folie?) are credited as having paid the fare for a number of young men and women. The excerpt says that Joe Folie was a passenger on the Kong Sverre and died of cholera in Chicago. Some of the information seems correct, and some not.
Go to Top of Page

RitaPeterson
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2011 :  08:07:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looked at the old confirmation records for the East Freeborn Lutheran Church (Freeborn County, Minnesota) which are on microfilm at the museum in Albert Lea. They are handwritten, some in Norwegian, and some are difficult to read. Did the best I could with them. I was interested in seeing how the parents were listed for the children of Lars Olsen Hove Foli and Johanna Olsdtr. Foli. I do think that Lars was the father of Kari, Oline, Margit/Martha#2, Ole, John, Nels and Elizabeth.

Confirmation Records for the Children of Lars Olsen Hove Foli and Johanna Olsdtr. Foli, East Freeborn Lutheran Church, Freeborn County, Minnesota

Kari
born January 20, 1851 per G. Naeseth research.
born January 26, 1851 per H. Mattick research.
No confirmation record found for Kari. She may have been
confirmed at Long Prairie Lutheran Church (Wisconsin) before the
family moved to Freeborn County, Minnesota.
Married Endre Stadheim July 28, 1872 per H. Mattick.
Per East Freeborn Lutheran Church marriage record, Kari Larsdtr. Foli,
age 21, daughter of Lars Olsen Foli and Johannes Olsdtr.

Oline
born October 28, 1854 per G. Naeseth.
born October 28, 1854 at Capron, Illinois per H. Mattick.
Per East Freeborn Lutheran Church records, born October 28, 1852
and baptized December 11, 1852 at Long Prairie Lutheran Church
(Wisconsin). Parents Lars Olsen and Johanna Olsdtr. Confirmed at
Central Freeborn Lutheran Church September 13, 1868.

Margit/Martha #2
born 1856(?) per G. Naeseth.
Per East Freeborn Lutheran Church records born
May 7, 1856 and baptized June 13, 1856 at Long
Prairie Lutheran Church (Wisconsin). Parents Lars Olsen
and Johanne Olsdtr. Confirmed October 1, 1871 at East
Freeborn Lutheran Church. Died at age 16 per H. Mattick.
Funeral record at East Freeborn Lutheran Church states
Marthe Larsdatter, 17 years old, born September 15, (year not given)
and died September 29, 1872. Death record, if it can be found at the county level, may be noted as Marthe Larsdatter, Marthe Olsen or Marthe Foli.

Ole
born 1858(?) per G. Naeseth.
born January 2, 1859 per H. Mattick.
Per East Freeborn Lutheran Church records born January 2, 1859 and baptized February 8, 1859 at Boone County, Illinois. Parents Lars O. Foli and Johanna Olsdtr. Confirmed October 18, 1874, could not read which church – Central Freeborn Lutheran, West Freeborn Lutheran, North Freeborn Lutheran or East Freeborn Lutheran Church.

John
born June 1863 per H. Mattick.
Per East Freeborn Lutheran Church records born June 20, 1861 and baptized July 17, 1861 at Luther Valley (Wisconsin).
Parents Lars O. and Johanna Folli. Confirmed at East Freeborn Lutheran
Church June 11, 1876.

Nels
born September 20, 1864 at Capron, Illinois per H. Mattick.
Per East Freeborn Lutheran Church records born September 20, 1864 Illinois and baptized October 23, 1864. Parents Lars and Johanne Foli. Confirmed July 11, 1889 at East Freeborn Lutheran Church.

Elizabeth/Lizzie
April 30, 1867 per H. Mattick.
Per East Freeborn Lutheran Church records born December 13, 1866 and
baptized April 4, 1867 at Freeborn. Parents Lars O. Foli and Johanne. Confirmed Lize Johanne June 18, 1882 at East Freeborn Lutheran Church.

Go to Top of Page

Archer Acton
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2011 :  22:16:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's been some great informative postings here lately!

quote:
Per East Freeborn Lutheran Church records, ... at Long Prairie Lutheran Church (Wisconsin).

Seems quite unlikely that they traveled to Wisconsin from Capron Ill for their church needs. Do the East Freeborn Lutheran Church records actually say Wisconsin? If so, I suspect they might be wrong.

In Capron, Ill ... well, just SE of town on Cemetery Road ... there is a Long Prairie Cemetery. Seems like there may have been a Long Prairie Lutheran Church there at one time. Wish there was a listing of the people buried there.

Here's the Google map of Capron showing the Cemetery: http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=Capron+IL
Go to Top of Page

RitaPeterson
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  22:42:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I went back to the Freeborn County Historical Museum to re-check the microfilm records of the East Freeborn Lutheran Church. I did make some transcription errors, which I have corrected in this update. I will have to blame this on middle-aged eyesight and/or confusing the Foli family with an entirely different branch that I am researching from Long Prairie and Luther Valley, Wisconsin.

Re Oline, the church record does actually state Long Prairie, Wisconsin. I am wondering if the minister at the East Freeborn Lutheran church recorded this incorrectly or could Oline have possibly been baptized by a traveling minister from Wisconsin?

I did make some errors in transcribing info for Margit/Marthe #2 and Lizzie as I was reading the wrong line. So please look over these corrections and make the necessary changes to your records. My apologies for all the mistakes. I usually am more accurate. After reviewing the confirmation records, I am reasonably certain that Lars was the father of Kari thru Lizzie.

Confirmation Records for the Children of Lars Olsen Hove Foli and Johanna Olsdtr. Foli, East Freeborn Lutheran Church, Freeborn County, Minnesota, corrected March 3, 2011

Kari
born January 20, 1851 per G. Naeseth research.
born January 26, 1851 per H. Mattick research.
No confirmation record found for Kari. She may have been
confirmed at Long Prairie, Illinois before the
family moved to Freeborn County, Minnesota.
Married Endre Stadheim July 28, 1872 per H. Mattick.
Per East Freeborn Lutheran Church marriage record, Kari Larsdtr. Foli,
age 21, daughter of Lars Olsen Foli and Johannes Olsdtr.

Oline
born October 28, 1854 per G. Naeseth.
born October 28, 1854 at Capron, Illinois per H. Mattick.
Per East Freeborn Lutheran Church records, born October 28, 1852
and baptized December 11, 1852 at Long Prairie, Wisconsin. (Record does state Wisconsin, which may have been recorded in error by the East Freeborn Lutheran Church pastor ? Or possibly Oline was baptized by a traveling minister from Wisconsin?)
Parents Lars Olsen and Johanna Olsdtr. Confirmed at
Central Freeborn Lutheran Church September 13, 1868.

Margit/Martha #2
born 1856(?) per G. Naeseth.
Per East Freeborn Lutheran Church records born
May 17, 1856 and baptized June 13, 1856 at Long
Prairie. (Does not list the state). Parents Lars Olsen
and Johanne Olsdtr. Confirmed October 1, 1871 at East
Freeborn Lutheran Church.

Died at age 16 per H. Mattick.
Funeral record at East Freeborn Lutheran Church states
Marthe Larsdatter, 17 years old, born May 4, (year not given), born Long Prairie, Illinois.
Died September 15, and buried September 29, 1872. Parents Lars Foli and Johanne Oldsdatter. Death record, if it can be found at the county level, may be noted as Marthe Larsdatter, Marthe Olsen or Marthe Foli.

Ole
born 1858(?) per G. Naeseth.
born January 2, 1859 per H. Mattick.
Per East Freeborn Lutheran Church records born January 2, 1859 and baptized February 8, 1859 at Boone County, Illinois. (Does not list city). Parents Lars O. Foli and Johanna Olsdtr. Confirmed October 18, 1874, could not read which church – Central Freeborn Lutheran, West Freeborn Lutheran, North Freeborn Lutheran or East Freeborn Lutheran Church.

John
born June 1863 per H. Mattick.
Per East Freeborn Lutheran Church records born June 20, 1861 and baptized July 17, 1861 at Luther Valley. (Does not list state).
Parents Lars O. and Johanna Folli. Confirmed at East Freeborn Lutheran
Church June 11, 1876.

Nels
born September 20, 1864 at Capron, Illinois per H. Mattick.
Per East Freeborn Lutheran Church records Nils L. Foli born September 20, 1864 and baptized October 23, 1864, Illinois. (Does not list city). Parents Lars and Johanne Foli. Confirmed July 11, 1889 at East Freeborn Lutheran Church.

Elizabeth/Lizzie
April 30, 1867 per H. Mattick.
Per East Freeborn Lutheran Church records born April 30, 1867 and
baptized June 4, 1867 at Freeborn. (Does not list city or state). Parents Lars O. Foli and Johanne. Confirmed Lize Johanne June 18, 1882 at East Freeborn Lutheran Church.

Go to Top of Page

RitaPeterson
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2011 :  05:41:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello again,

FYI - if anyone is interested, I do have photos taken at the East Freeborn Lutheran Church Cemetery of the gravestones of Lars and Johanna Foley. Also interior shots of the church.

I have a fairly good quality photocopy of the children of Lars and Johanna taken when they were adults. (Lars and Johanna are not on the photo.)

I am not sure how to share these. I would be glad to e-mail them or snail mail them on a disk in higher resolution to anyone who would like a copy. Not sure about the rules pertaining to posting e-mail addresses on this board.

Carol, thanks for your note. I tried to e-mail you, but it bounced back.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article