All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Waldo George Andersen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lorrainelenz
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  17:41:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am trying to get birth record and confirmation of ship my father came to the U.S. on. Name: Waldo George Andersen, born June 16, 1904 in Kristiania, Norway (Oslo) of mother, Hilma Fredrickson Andersen and father, Christian Andersen. Came to the U.S. when he was approximately 8 years of age.

Thank you.
Lorraine Andersen Lenz

Lorraine Lenz

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  18:16:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi.
A coincidence?
I have a namesake for you on exactly the same day, June 16. 1904, but he was born Swede??

Gunnar Waldo Anderson, mother Hilma Mathilde Anderson b.Swede, married, with a 2nd son Harald Westy Anderson b. 1907, born Swede. see here

They emigrated August 28. 1912 "til manden" to her husband on Eskimo

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 19/05/2011 19:43:14
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  19:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ellis Island lists them as Hilmar Mathilda Anderson with sons Gunnar Valdo (age 8) and Harald Westy (age 5) of Karlstad, Sweden arriving on the Mauretania 6 Sept 1912.

The passenger manifests of 1912 contain a great deal of information about each individual - you should take steps to carefully review the entire handwritten record.

You can find different ways to read the original Ellis Island records - some require a fee, others are completely free.
http://www.cyndislist.com/ellis.htm

Edited by - Hopkins on 19/05/2011 19:43:19
Go to Top of Page

lorrainelenz
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  20:19:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you both for the information - I will be doing more delving and it certainly could be the people you mentioned.

My father was 8 and his brother, Harold was 5 when they came, and I think I remember my grandmother's second name to be Mathilde. It was a case where they had lived in Norway and were born there and then their father came to the U.S. and, whatever happened, I now think perhaps my grandmother took the boys back to Karlstadt, where they lived until they were to join their father in the U.S.

I appreciate your help.

Lori

Lorraine Lenz
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  21:11:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you remain convinced that a birth/baptismal record would be found in Oslo then you can browse through the birth/baptismal records for the various church congregations of that city online.

The Digitalarkivet web site has been adding scanned images of the original Norwegian parish church records for anyone with Internet access since November 2005.

The Digitalarkivet web site - http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe?slag=vis&tekst=meldingar
An English option is available by clicking on that word from either the left hand column or the blue link bar along the bottom of the homepage.
The scanned images are available from the homepage link "Skanna kyrkjebøker" [Norwegian version]/"Digitised parish records" [English version] which is listed along the left hand column and from the blue banner of links along the top section of the homepage.
Clicking on "Skanna kyrkjebøker" [Norwegian version]/"Digitised parish records" [English version] will bring up another screen and listing to choose from. Choose "Lesa skanna kyrkjebøker" [Norwegian version]/"Read the digitised parish records" [English version].
After you've clicked on that link and a new main page has presented on the screen be sure and read the instructions that are available from the Digitalarkivet for navigating the scanned records. The instructions are available in Bokmål (official Norwegian), Nyorsk (Norwegian), Davvisámegiella (Saami), and English.
Recommended basic reading are the "Startsiden" [Norwegian version]/"Main page" [English version], "Brukerveiledning" [Norwegian version]/"User's guide" [English version] and "Om tjenesten" [Norwegian version]/"About this service" [English version].

Good information about translating the formats of Norwegian parish church records during various time periods, many of the basic terms used and understanding how to use the information should be studied at this web site -
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/na20.html
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  21:14:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They came from Bro subparish in Sæffle municipality in district of Værmland close to the Norwegian border.

Bro is a small village of ab. 500 people, located south in Sæffle, see here. Includes a photo of the church, page owned by Værmland Genealogy Assosiation.
The distance from Bro to Karlstad is 28 Miles.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 20/05/2011 00:13:07
Go to Top of Page

lorrainelenz
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  22:00:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Kare and Hopkins. Thanks to you both I can now confirm W.G.Andersen, brother and mother were passengers on the Mauretania arriving in NY9/6/1912. The ship's manifest shows Hilma Anderson was stopping in NY to visit my great Aunt Emma Fridriksson before continuing on to Minnesota. Their names were changed somewhat, I believe, at Ellis Island.

I now have paperwork showing my grandmother was Swedish, Hilma Fridriksson (born approx 1879 so will continue search on her birthplace and also when my great aunt Emma Fridriksson came to the U.S. (sometime before 1912).

What does "til manden" mean?

I have paperwork showing my father Waldo George Andersen was born in Kristinania 6/15/04 but am not having any luck with the ditigal oslo websites.

Kare, may I ask how you found they came from Bro subparish in Saeffle Vaermland. Would that be Sweden?

I hope to visit the birth records place in Oslo in July - any info on that would be appreciated.

Again, thank you. Lorraine Andersen Lenz

Lorraine Lenz
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  23:40:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi.
"Føremål" Purpose of the journey.
"til manden" means directly translated; to the man.
to her husband.

The name Bro comes from the emigration records from Oslo 1912, Headline "Heimstad" Home, Bro f. Værml, see here
Bro is a small village in Sæffle municipalty in Sweden.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 05/06/2011 23:51:10
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  07:37:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found baptismal record for Gunnar Waldo, see #179.
Markveien 44 where Gunnar Waldo was born.

The parents Ole Kristian Andersen and Hilma Mathilde Fredriksdotter were married Oct 11 1903, see #126.

Paulus church where the marriage and baptism took place.

Ole Kristian was a guardian at a mental hospital, he was born Dec 14 1882 in Frogn, see #1, his parents were Anders Olufsen (1837) and Josepine Dorthea Christiansdatter (1849).

Storgaten 36 where Ole Kristian was working.

Hilma Mathilde was born in Bro, Värmland, Sweden April 11 1879 and her father was leaseholder Fredrik Jensson.

Ole Kristian emigrated 1907.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 07/06/2011 20:18:07
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  22:35:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi.
Do you think one of these could be your great aunt Emma Fredriksen, both Swedish, em. from/via Oslo.

- Emma Fredriksen age 30 in 1892, married with 3 children, dest New York

- Emma Fredriksen, lived in Oslo, Swedish, unmarried, age 23 in 1905, dest N. D.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 24/06/2011 20:56:40
Go to Top of Page

lorrainelenz
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2011 :  19:39:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kare and others, thank you for all your efforts.

I now have info on my grandmother, Hilma Mathilde Fredriksdotter born to father Fredrik Jensson April 11, 1879.

Her sister Emma (perhaps a year or two older) - am looking for her birthdate as well - also have seen her maiden name as Fredriksson. She came to the U.S. several years before her sister, who arrived in 1912. Emma once in the U.S. married Edward Anderson at some point.

Is there anyway to search if there were other sisters or brothers in the family? I have a photo of my grandmother and aunt in a family shot that has lots of children in it.

Thank you.
Lori Lenz

Lorraine Lenz
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2011 :  20:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you know WHERE in Sweden the sisters were born then yes you could research in the parish records for that area and learn about other family members, ancestors, etc.

I haven't heard of Sweden putting those records online BUT they are available through any LDS Family History Center to be ordered and studied on microfilm for very nominal costs.
https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Sweden
http://www.cyndislist.com/sweden/

Go to Top of Page

lorrainelenz
Starting member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2011 :  20:39:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do know that my grandmother was born in Bro, Varmland, Sweden so assume the sister was also.

Thank you for the tip.

Lorraine Lenz
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2011 :  21:56:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ancestry.com now has the following Swedish records online. Need an Ancestry.com subscription to access them.

Sweden, Church Records, 1500-1937

Sweden, Indexed Birth Records, 1880-1920
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2011 :  23:23:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A supplement in Sweden is Anbytarforum
US link on top.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 24/06/2011 23:26:54
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2011 :  18:36:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Is there anyway to search if there were other sisters or brothers in the family?

Perhaps you can using the Swedish records now on Ancestry.com. For example there is this person listed

Child's Given Name:
Anna
Birth Date:
17 Aug 1881
Birth Place:
Bro, Värmland
Father:
Arrendotor Anderd Fredrik Joasson
Mother:
Mathilda Eriksdotter
Mother Birth Date:
abt 1852
Mother Age

My online dictionary translates arrendator as leaseholder. I see the fathers name listed above in two of the posts. Do we know the name of the mother.

Edited by - AntonH on 25/06/2011 18:37:37
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article