All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Missing seaman
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Goran
Starting member

Sweden
10 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  19:41:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been looking for grandmothers brother Christoffer Christoffersen born in Nötterö Norway 10 dec 1886, for a long time.
In the 1910 census it says that he was on a ship from South America to England. I cotacted Statsarkivet in Kongsberg and got some pages from his see-mans-book and found his trips from 1901-1911. I can not read the shipname for his last trip17/11 1911 and where he went.
From that time he is disappeared.
Is there someone who have possibility to read in this books and help me to find where he went I would be very grateful.
Greeting from Sweden Göran Sandström

Goran
Starting member

Sweden
10 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  16:51:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Goran

I have been looking for grandmothers brother Christoffer Christoffersen born in Nötterö Norway 10 dec 1886, for a long time.
In the 1910 census it says that he was on a ship from South America to England. I cotacted Statsarkivet in Kongsberg and got some pages from his see-mans-book and found his trips from 1901-1911. But I can not read the shipname for his last trip17/11 1911 and where he went.
From that time he is disappeared.
Is there someone who have possibility to read in this books and help me to find where he went I would be very grateful.
His stepfathers last name was Olsen but it looks like he took his fathers first name as his last name.
He went to USA but as a sailor he maybe not went through Ellis Island.Does anyone know how to find out which port he came to?
Greeting from Sweden Göran Sandström

Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  18:35:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It isn't possible to try to read an image that is not shared. Post a good copy or share a working URL link to location where a good copy can be studied.

Is this the same man that you were searching for in 2008? You indicated that man had send post cards at some point from the US.
http://www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3578
Go to Top of Page

Goran
Starting member

Sweden
10 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  21:26:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins

It isn't possible to try to read an image that is not shared. Post a good copy or share a working URL link to location where a good copy can be studied.

Is this the same man that you were searching for in 2008? You indicated that man had send post cards at some point from the US.
http://www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3578

Yes it is the same man. I contacted the people that Lester Hansen sent me but it was not the right man, Chris was his nickname. In 1910 Norwegian census I found that he calld himself Christoffersen and I will try once more.The postcards do not longer exist.
Do you mean that I can send a copy of the page in the seamansbook to you or in this page? I can not copy the page here but the location in Norwegian I managed to copy.

Vår sak: 11/24235
Opplysninger fra sjøinnrulleringen for Tønsberg – Christoffer Christoffersen f. 10.12.1886 i Nøtterøy
Vi viser til din henvendelse og sender vedlagt kopier fra sjøinnrulleringen for Tønsberg:
Annotasjonsrulle – patent nr. 1705 page 341
Hovedrulle – patent nr. 9681 page 322
Vennlig hilsen
Statsarkivet i Kongsberg
Wenche E. Magnussen e.f.
førstekonsulent

Göran
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  01:29:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

This might be your guy, from Ancestry, Florida Passenger Lists 1898-1951,

Arrived 11 Feb 1920, at Key West, Florida on the Henry M. Flagler coming from Havana,Cuba

Chris Christofferson age 33, seaman, single, speaks English, nationality is Norwegian, last permanent address Brooklyn, New York, destination is Brooklyn, N.Y., no relatives in the country the alien just came from.

Admitted to US on 12 Feb 1920 by special inquiry board. Chris was a stow away on the Flagler.

Although, it doesn't appear on the page of data about Chris, in the index to it, it lists his birthplace as Tonsberg. Tonsberg is short distance from Nøtterøy, right?

It might be helpful if you just list the voyages he was on from 1901-1911 that you can read. Lots of crew members are listed in the Ancestry databases--he may turn up, with a home address or relative's names etc..

At the Norwegian Digitalarkivet, there are several database of deaths recorded at various Norwegian Seaman's churches around the world:

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebMeta.exe?slag=vismeny&fylkenr=21&knr=&aar=&dagens=&katnr=4

In your previous topic, there were 2 postings by Tami Wright which look like they might concern the stowaway above. In the WWI cards, every man born between about 1875 and 1900 had to register for military service. Not all were called up, but the mentioned Crist Cristerson has a birth date that matches your guy and birth year only one year off and he was born in "Transberg" which could easily be some Yankee rendering of "Tonsberg"

Jackie M.

Edited by - jkmarler on 08/01/2012 09:40:30
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  09:51:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And here are two more possibles from the 1930 Merchant Seaman census in US,

1)Christopher Olsen:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XH6T-ZG7

2.) Christopher Christopherson (birthdate off mark):

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XH6T-FBC

3) K. Olson (age nearly right):

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XH6Y-5LG

Each of these would require more research to rule in or out.

Jackie M.

Edited by - jkmarler on 08/01/2012 09:59:39
Go to Top of Page

Goran
Starting member

Sweden
10 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2012 :  12:47:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by jkmarler

Hi,

This might be your guy, from Ancestry, Florida Passenger Lists 1898-1951,

Arrived 11 Feb 1920, at Key West, Florida on the Henry M. Flagler coming from Havana,Cuba

Chris Christofferson age 33, seaman, single, speaks English, nationality is Norwegian, last permanent address Brooklyn, New York, destination is Brooklyn, N.Y., no relatives in the country the alien just came from.

Admitted to US on 12 Feb 1920 by special inquiry board. Chris was a stow away on the Flagler.

Although, it doesn't appear on the page of data about Chris, in the index to it, it lists his birthplace as Tonsberg. Tonsberg is short distance from Nøtterøy, right?

It might be helpful if you just list the voyages he was on from 1901-1911 that you can read. Lots of crew members are listed in the Ancestry databases--he may turn up, with a home address or relative's names etc..

At the Norwegian Digitalarkivet, there are several database of deaths recorded at various Norwegian Seaman's churches around the world:

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebMeta.exe?slag=vismeny&fylkenr=21&knr=&aar=&dagens=&katnr=4

In your previous topic, there were 2 postings by Tami Wright which look like they might concern the stowaway above. In the WWI cards, every man born between about 1875 and 1900 had to register for military service. Not all were called up, but the mentioned Crist Cristerson has a birth date that matches your guy and birth year only one year off and he was born in "Transberg" which could easily be some Yankee rendering of "Tonsberg"

Jackie M.

If I could send the pictures from my E-mail whith his voyages in this forum it would be good, but I do not know how to do, if it is possible.
Göran
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2012 :  13:13:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Göran,

Well, as far as the images go they can't be attached but there is an icon on the format: bar that says "insert image" so some are able to add images to their letters to this forum.

But even if you can't put the image in, you could retype and include the dates. Those other databases mentioned would probably only be passenger vessels, probably not commercial haulers, since the people are what are of interest rather than cargo. The reason it might be of interest is to compare ship name and destination & dates to the shipping news index category in historical newspapers section at www.genealogybank.com. looking for events.

I was surprized to see that there were at least 2800 of the Merchant Marine sailors in the 1930 US database who were born in Norway.

Jackie M.
Go to Top of Page

Goran
Starting member

Sweden
10 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  22:30:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have got help from a shipregister in Norway to explain some of the ships Christoffer saild whith. I only have the three last ships
He leaved Langesund on a ship called Birgit and arrived in Dublin in august 1906.
Next trip in his seamansbook starts in Buenos Aires, the name of the ship can not be read, in april 1908. The 1 or 2 of july he arrived at Gulfport in the Mexican Golf, where he escapes.
Somehow he appears in Ghent where he enterd Ellen, a steamship, in march 1911 and went to Porsgrunn Norway. 17 of nov. 1911 he enters a ship, which name is impossible to read, and it only says that he is going abroad, unfortunately that is the last ship that is written in his seamans book.It also says that he has lost one seamans book, so his further trips are missing.
Göran
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  23:30:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This might be the WW I Draft Registration that Jackie refers to above. His birth place is listed as Tousborg, Norway on the orginal card.

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
Name: Christoffer Christoffersen
City: Brooklyn
County: Kings
State: New York
Birthplace: Norway
Birth Date: 3 Dec 1887
Race: White
FHL Roll Number: 1754306

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  23:43:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is another interesting person, Lists his occupation as Seaman and lists his residence as Tonsberg which I think is close to Notteroy, lists his final destination as Brooklyn, New York and to visit his brother Oskar Hansen, address 421 Columbia Street, Brooklyn, New York. I think you can ignore the Scottish designation.

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Name: Christoffer Christoffersen
Arrival Date: 28 Apr 1905
Birth Year: abt 1887
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Scottish (Scotish)
Port of departure: Glasgow, Scotland
Port of arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Mongolian

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  23:50:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This same man is also listed on a form for this same ship for "Record of Aliens held for Special Inquiry". Cause of detenton is listed as LPC ?

Name: Christofer Christofferson
Arrival Date: 28 Apr 1905
Birth Year: abt 1888
Port of departure: Glasgow, Scotland
Ship Name: Mongolian

LPC is listed as
LPC, stands for "Likely Public Charge." The LPC exclusion was introduced to US immigration law in 1891 and was the most common cause of detention and grounds for exclusion/deportation. Immigrants were most likely considered a likely public charge if they had little money AND no family, friends, or prospects, OR if they were disabled in some way that would prevent them from earning their own living. The majority of LPC exclusions were overcome during the Special Inquiry process, usually when friends, family, or some Immigrant Aid organization came and vouched for the person or posted a bond for them. Other common exclusion/detention "cause" abbreviations included:

Edited by - AntonH on 04/02/2012 23:52:29
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  23:58:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Must be the same person coming to America again. Lists his birth place as Tonsberg and this time going to his cousin Oscar Hanson in Brooklyn, New York.

Name: Christoffer Christofersen
Arrival Date: 1 May 1907
Birth Year: abt 1886
Birth Location Other: Tonsberg, Norway
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Scandinavian
Port of departure: Christiania
Ship Name: Oscar II

There are 7 Oscar Hansen/Hanson living in Brooklyn, New York
in the 1910 US Census.

Edited by - AntonH on 05/02/2012 00:04:25
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  00:17:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is Chris Christofferson working as a crewman on this ship. Position is listed as A.B. ?

Name: Chris Christoffersen
Arrival Date: 16 Feb 1921
Birth Year: abt 1888
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Norwegian
Port of departure: Grangemouth,sct Via Fowey,eng
Ship Name: Clauseus

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  00:21:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Working on this ship again as an A.B.

Name: Christian Christoffersen
Arrival Date: 17 Feb 1919
Birth Year: abt 1886
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Scandinavian
Port of departure: Pasagas
Ship Name: Breifond

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  03:01:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the information out of Ancestry.com that Jackie referred to above. All of these ship manifests seem to refer to the same crew membeer. Is he the same person you are trying to track, that remains to be seen.

Florida Passenger Lists, 1898-1951 Florida Passenger Lists, 1898-1951
Name: Chris Christofferson
Arrival Date: 11 Feb 1920
Birth Date: abt 1887
Nationality/Race: Scandinavian
Ship: Henry M Flagler
Port of departure: Havana, Cuba
Port of arrival: Key West, Florida
Last Residence: New York
Birth Location: Norway
Birth Location Other: Tonsberg

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article