All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Search for my grandfather
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2013 :  19:36:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

This appears to be Jens' sister (per the ancestry database JaneC quoted earlier):

OLSON, SUSAN
Date of Birth: na
Place of Birth: na
Mother Maiden Name: na
certid# 1931-MN-015309
Date of Death: 13 Aug 1931
County of Death: TODD

Ah - so it seems she remarried. But anyway, I think you mean she is likely a first COUSIN to Jens Olsen Tang.

Yes?

My head is swimming.

Sonia Susan Tang
Birth 17 July 1867 in Norway [Oct 1867 per 1900 census]
Death 13 August 1931 in Staples, Todd, Minnesota, USA
married
Brynjulf Angell Hanson
Birth 24 August 1858 in Bergen, Norway
Death 13 Oct 1933 in East Grand Forks, Minnesota, USA
SOURCE: Ancestry.com family tree

Edited by - JaneC on 01/09/2013 19:54:46
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2013 :  19:54:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes 1st cousin sorry. Here she is in 1930 census with husband Hans Olson:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X3DY-Q58

Well daughter Ida came back to get married:
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=11&filnamn=EMIBERG&gardpostnr=73576&merk=73576#ovre

Edited by - jkmarler on 01/09/2013 21:15:14
Go to Top of Page

dtang

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  19:05:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

All-Thanks for your continued efforts. I need to tie up some things to make sure I understand all the recent info that has surfaced.

:My conclusions are:

- When my paternal g-father, Jens Olsen Tang (b.28 Apr 1862) emigrated to US on 10 Mar 1882, he traveled with Synneva Olsdtr Tang (b. 1867), who was his 1st cousin (mother’ side).

-Synneva’s parents were: Ole Johnannesen, Smedegaard and Ingeborg Olsdatter, Tang (b. Jan 5 1837 #13 by Einar).

- Ingeborg Olsdtr Tang was a sister of Anna Olsdtr Tang (Jen’s mother) and was Jen's aunt (mother’s side).

PARENTS to both Anna Olsdtr Tang (Jen’s mother) and Ingeborg Olsdtr Tang ( Sonneva’s mother, Jen’s aunt) are: Ole Olsen,Nøstaaen and Søneva Hansdatter, Hildestad (or Sterri).

- Jen’s sister, Synneva Hillestad (born Tang)(b. 16 Jan 1860) emigrated 15 May 1883 with her husband Einar Nilssen Hillestad (b.~1855), and two children Nils and Ole Einarssen. She later dies and Einar remarries (Mary Helestad/ Hillestad)

Is # 6265 the birth record for Anna Olsdtr Tang (Jen’smother)? It gives parents as above for Anna and Ingetborg Olsdtrs, Tang.

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=43&filnamn=Hafslodb&gardpostnr=6265&merk=6265#ovre

- The birth date for Anna OLsdtr Tang( 1827.08.30) is almost 2 years earlier than the marriage date [ Nov 30, 1831; #31 (Einar)] for the parents : Ole Olsen,Nøstaaen and Søneva Hansdatter, Hildestad (or Sterri).

- The birth is uekte (born outside of wedlock) … which seems to be common. Does the mother’s and father’s remarks = 1ste gang leiermaal mean that Anna Olsdtr Tang (Jen’s mother) was the 1st illegitimate child for both her parents or did each one have a previous? Why the long delay in getting married?

The following is the 1875 census (Kåre) provided earlier http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste.aspx?ft=1875&knr=1425&kenr=003&bnr=0020&lnr=00 . Are persons #9-11 possibly related to either Ole Jensen Smedegaard (Tang/Tangstre) or Anna Olsdatr Tang? I don’t want to stray to far, but with all the uekte births I don’t know what to expect.

Doug

DougT
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  20:29:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Is # 6265 the birth record for Anna Olsdtr Tang (Jen’smother)?
- it's a transcription, original record #74.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  20:33:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The birth is uekte (born outside of wedlock) … which seems to be common. Does the mother’s and father’s remarks = 1ste gang leiermaal mean that Anna Olsdtr Tang (Jen’s mother) was the 1st illegitimate child for both her parents or did each one have a previous? Why the long delay in getting married?
- Uægte children were not uncommon, why the delay between birth and marriage was 1year and 3 months is difficult to answer. Anna was the first illegitimate child for both parents.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  20:33:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dtang

The following is the 1875 census (Kåre) provided earlier http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste.aspx?ft=1875&knr=1425&kenr=003&bnr=0020&lnr=00 . Are persons #9-11 possibly related to either Ole Jensen Smedegaard (Tang/Tangstre) or Anna Olsdatr Tang? I don’t want to stray to far, but with all the uekte births I don’t know what to expect.

Doug

Jens, Anne, Britha, Ole, Knud and Soffie are the children of Ole Jensen Smedegaard and Anne Olsdatter, all "forsørges av Faderen" Supported by the father.
Anne Johannesdatter. Family status; "Inderst" Lodger and "ug" unmarried, with own household. Support herself and the children by needlework.
- Andrias Johannesen 1871 (father; Johannes Sølfestsen Yngsdal), the mother Anne Johannesdatter lived on Mo
- Britha Olsdatter 1875 (father; Ole Syvertsen Mo) are Anne Johannesdatters children, supported by the mother.

Anne Johannsedatter b. 1846 was either b. July 22. Parents; Johannes Amsen Skjerven and Marthe Nilsdatter (Sigrid Larsdatter Tang was one of the godparents)
or b. Oct. 31. Parents; Johannes Eriksen Traaen and Methe Nilsdatter.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 02/09/2013 21:54:21
Go to Top of Page

dtang

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  20:39:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Einar- I should have said transcription (index). I will try to be more precise. I wanted to first try to verify before trying to read the original record.

Doug

DougT
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  20:42:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes to all - though I am glad eibache and others may also confirm.

> "The birth date for Anna Olsdtr Tang (1827) is almost 2 years earlier than the marriage date (1831) for the parents: Ole Olsen,Nøstaaen and Søneva Hansdatter, Hildestad (or Sterri) ... Why the long delay in getting married?" <

I am guessing no one can answer why the marriage took so long in this particular case. It was not uncommon then and still happens nowadays.

> "The birth is uekte (born outside of wedlock) … which seems to be common. Does the mother’s and father’s remarks = 1ste gang leiermaal mean that Anna Olsdtr Tang (Jen’s mother) was the 1st illegitimate child for both her parents?" <

Yes Anna was the first child born for both parents - although I hope a speaker of Norwegian will also answer. Anna's father is noted as "ungkarl" which means bachelor.

> In the 1875 census, "Are persons #9-11 possibly related to either Ole Jensen Smedegaard (Tang/Tangstre) or Anna Olsdatr Tang?" <

I don't think anyone has investigated the relationship. The mother (person #9) is listed as "Inderste." I think this means boarder / lodger.

I'll check back tomorrow to see if there are corrections to what I said. Happy Labor Day Doug! We're off to a picnic.

Edited by - JaneC on 02/09/2013 20:45:21
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  20:48:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Are persons #9-11 possibly related to either Ole Jensen Smedegaard (Tang/Tangstre) or Anna Olsdatr Tang?
- I don't see any indication that the mother, Anne Johannesdatter, was related to anyone recorded in this census record for Tanstræ.

Johannes Sølfestsen was the father of Andrias (Andreas) Johannesen. He was born at Mo.
Ole Syversen, Mo was the father of Britha Olsdatter. She was born at Tang.

Einar
Go to Top of Page

dtang

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  20:59:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks Einar, Kåre,and JaneC.

Jane- Enjoy your Labor Day picnic

Doug

DougT
Go to Top of Page

dtang

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2013 :  18:56:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Been away for a few days. A couple of new pieces of info.

(1) To help me tie down any immigration info for Jens Olsen Tang, I followed the suggestion by jkmarler (28/08/2013) to get Jens Olsen Tang’s naturalization records from Iron Range. I just received copies of his papers for US citizenship ….Declaration of Intention (2 Nov 1886, 11th Judicial District Court, Becker CO., MN) and Final Papers (17 Nov 1898, 7th Judicial District Court, Clay CO., MN).

- According to Declaration: “….Jens O. Tang emigrated to the US, and landed at the port of New York on or about the month of March in the year 1882.” The Mar 1882 date of landing in NY is consistent with the 10 Mar 1882 emigration (from Bergen) date I have. If March landing date is correct, then that would indicate a trip of no more than about 20 days. But as I have learned well (thanks to you all) dates are not always trustworthy. In fact the Declaration of Intention has Jen’s DOB stated as 1861, rather than 1862!

According to Final Papers: The witnesses for Jens O Tang were A. K (?) Ferguson and Oluf Fossum (or Fossom). I believe Oluf (Ole, Olie) Fossum could be the husband of Jens Tang’s sister, Anna Olsdtr Tang (b. 25Mar 1865).

(2) I have been going through boxes we had in storage and found the following (below) about who was in the wedding party for Jens O. Tang and Louise L. Tang ( Mikkelson)…from a clipping of marriage notice for Jens O. Tang and Louise L. Mikkelson (my paternal g-parents ). I also found a marriage photo with identifying info of very similar names: ….Christ Tang (Erick C. Tang?), Ander Larson) (Andrew Larson), Sophie Tang (Sophia Tang), Susan Larson, Nels Hildestad , Ella Quam. Some of these are names that seem to have come up before.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Hawley County Herald (December 5, 1902)…. Paper in Clay Co. , Minnesota

EGLON

“Married-Nov 26, 1902, Mr. Jens O. Tang and Miss Louise L. Mikkelson at the Solem church at2 o’clock in the afternoor. Miss Julia Erickson played the wedding march. Misses Ella Quam, Sophia Tang, and Susan Larson acted as bridesmaids. Messars. Nels Hildestad, Andrew Larson, and Erick C. Tang were best men. Rev. B. J. Larson of Lake Park tied the knot. After the ceremony was over everybody went to the home of C. Jorgeuson for dinner. The evening was spent playing games, such as “pig in the parlor” and others.”

Found funny “pig in the parlor” game (old Norwegian game?).
----------------------------------------------------------------
In the wedding party

- Could “Nels Hildestad” be Nils Einarssen Hillestad, the son of Einar Nilssen Hillestad (b.~1855) and Jen’s sister, Synneva Hillestad (born Tang, b. 16 Jan 1860) … ? From before … Sonneva emigrated 15 May 1883 with her husband Einar Nilssen Hillestad (b.~1855), and two children Nils and Ole Einarssen. She later dies and Einar remarries (Mary Helestad/ Hillestad).

- Could “ Susan Larson” be Jen’s 1st cousin (jkmaller 30/08/2013) ? Andrew Larson?

- Christian E. Tang 4 Minnesota be Jen’s 1st cousin? [MN birth record Erick Christian, 1880 US census…by Jane C (01/09/2013).

- Sophia (Sofie) Tang ?
- Ella Quam?

(3) Also found a 1900 picture (not very clear) of the Solem Church choir (Clay CO., MN). There are 18 people. Those listed, excluding the several MIkkelson’s (related to my maternal g-mother) are: Susan Larson, Andrew Larson, Carrie Larson, Jens Tang, Sofie Tang, Sivert Tang, Henry Tang, Christ Tang, (and Bertha Erickson, Ella Quam, Sophie Erickson, Bynhil;d Johnson). I don’t believe this photo info is very helpful, but I am including just for me to be able to have these names all in one place.

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2013 :  20:10:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dtang

----------------------------------------------------------------
In the wedding party

- Could “Nels Hildestad” be Nils Einarssen Hillestad, the son of Einar Nilssen Hillestad (b.~1855) and Jen’s sister, Synneva Hillestad (born Tang, b. 16 Jan 1860) … ? From before … Sonneva emigrated 15 May 1883 with her husband Einar Nilssen Hillestad (b.~1855), and two children Nils and Ole Einarssen. She later dies and Einar remarries (Mary Helestad/ Hillestad).
Doug

Einar Nielsen and Sønniva Ingebrigtsdatter had a son Niels born on farm Sterei/Sterri August 28. 1869.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

dtang

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2013 :  21:03:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

[
Kåre - I’ m confused. Based on below (by Einar) I thought this "Nels Hildestad" would be a son of “Einar Nilssen Hillestad and Synneva Olssdtr Hillestad (born Tang; Jen’s sister)” …not a son of a “Einar Nielsen and Sønniva Ingebrigtsdatter? Am I missing something?

quote:
Kåre (06/09/2103)
Einar Nielsen and Sønniva Ingebrigtsdatter had a son Niels born on farm Sterei/Sterri August 28. 1869.

quote:
Einar (30/08/2013)
15 May 1883 - Departing Bergen:
Synneva Olsdatr Hillestad, married, age 23, born about 1860 in Hafslo
Einar Nilssen Hillestad, married, age 28, born about 1855 in Hafslo
Nils Einarssen Hillestad age 4 born Hafslo
Ole Einarssen Hillestad age 4 born Hafslo <-------not shown in Nils's birth record - maybe a mistake; he must be younger
-------------------------------------------------
Einar (31/08/2013)… Synneva Olsdatter was born 1860, the baptismal record is #11 and she emigrated in 1883 with her husband and two children.....noted above

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2013 :  22:17:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The answer
The Hillestad family was to young to have a son Nils 1869.
There were two couples of Einar Nilsen and Synnøva Ingebrigtsdatter in Hafslo with a son Niels.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 06/09/2013 22:38:11
Go to Top of Page

dtang

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2013 :  23:50:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kåre - You made me feel better. The age of Nils (b. 1869) was what prompted my question. I should have been more clear as to my clue. I am trying to use dates etc to help rule in or rule out possibilities. Born in 1869 would have made him about 39 at time of wedding. The other NIls who emigrated (age 4) in 1863 with parents “Einar Nilssen Hillestad and Synneva Olsdtr Hillestad (born Tang; Jen’s sister)” would have been about 31yr. The marriage photo looks more 31 than 39 (but who knows).

I still not clear as to the possible “Einar Nielsen and Sønniva Ingebrigtsdatter connection? I thought Sonniva ( Sonneva) would be a "Olsdtr?

I hope the" cousin" (of Jens O Tang) issue is not too much of a distraction from tying down direct links to Jens Tang. The cousin issue is just a way (somewhat indirect) to determine the names of the siblings of my paternal/maternal gg-gparents [ Ole Jensen Tang (Smedegaard)(b. 21 Jan 1838) and Anna Olsdtr Tang )(b. ~1835)].

Thanks again.

Doug

DougT
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article