All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Johan Pedersen Born April, 1836.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

janray
Starting member

Australia
11 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  01:05:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I was hoping someone might have some info. on my great, great grandfather's parents please?
He was born 29th April, 1836 in either Oslo or a name starting with K and arrived in Australia in 1860, altered his name to John Pearson and was married in 1863.
I read a post on him yesterday in this forum, from last year but am unable to find it now. Edited once again as I put in the wrong date.

Thank you,

Janray.

j. murray

Edited by - janray on 08/08/2013 08:10:48

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  01:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could be this one.

http://www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5539&SearchTerms=johan,,pedersen,australia
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9224 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  03:56:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are some online Family Trees that identify this Johan Carl as being the same person as your John Pearson. However some doubt was cast on this identification in the earlier thread. See number 10 on the link.

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=7839&idx_id=7839&uid=ny&idx_side=-21

Edited by - AntonH on 06/08/2013 03:58:19
Go to Top of Page

janray
Starting member

Australia
11 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  05:05:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Lyndal40.

Will keep searching.

Regards,
janray.

j. murray
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  09:01:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christiania changed name to Oslo 1925.
Does Oslo comes from written sources or from oral tradition?

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  09:08:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Towns and municipalities starts with K;
Kristiansand, Kristiansund, Kragerĝ, Kongsberg, Kongsvinger, Kirkenes, Kopervik, Kolvereid.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  10:09:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was no organized em. to Australia from Norway ca 1860, you had to travel via England.
Was Johan a seaman who jumped of the ship in Australia, I have read bout that a few times.

Some yeras ago I read about a company who made two trips to Australia with lumber ca 1860, I belive it was from Tĝnsberg town. They advertised in a few newspapers that they brought em. to Australia against payment.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

janray
Starting member

Australia
11 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  11:21:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Kare,

Yes, Johann was sent from Norway to the U.S. to be raised by an Aunt as he was an orphan, then later joined the U.S. Navy and came to Australia that way.

I was certain we had the correct Johann until I read Tim's post and began to wonder about the birthplace.....all other details were the same.

Many of his descendants have lived in a particular area of NSW from the 1860's until now, are a very close family and have shared an interest in the family history for many decades.

I was told that Johann wanted to trace his Danish family as he got older, however, he had almost lost the language and details and communications were very difficult in the 1800's.

Regards,
janray.

j. murray
Go to Top of Page

janray
Starting member

Australia
11 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  12:18:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies,
I had the wrong birth-date in the heading........1836 makes more sense.

j. murray
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  12:44:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by janray

Apologies,
I had the wrong birth-date in the heading........1836 makes more sense.

Johan Pedersen b. March 21 April 29. 1836.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 08/08/2013 13:30:43
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  23:38:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Janray - What is the source for the birth date 21 March 1836 that you state in your opening query? (You've corrected a typo in the date in your first draft)
Kċre mentions it too. Hope you don't mind my asking where that comes from.

Tim in the other thread says he has a death certificate for
John Pearson in Australia (spelling of name and specific place not given)
No parents listed
Died 22 March 1913, age 76
Born in "Karagira, Norway"

In Tim's thread a candidate for John Pearson was found as:
"Andreas Johan Petersen bap. Nov. 27. 1836. Parents; Peter Hasset and Else Severine Sĝrensen"
(thanks to Kċre)

Kċre also asked a critical question: "Does Oslo comes from written sources or from oral tradition?"

Thanks in advance for the clarifications.

We could check out John's aunt and cousins in the USA, if you can tell us about them. They might help to confirm (or not) the tentative identification of Andreas Johan Petersen.

Edited by - JaneC on 08/08/2013 16:21:58
Go to Top of Page

janray
Starting member

Australia
11 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  08:07:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Jane C. for your reply.

I have just received a copy of the family tree going back to 1782 in England and was particularly interested in the branch of the family from Norway which dated from John Pearson (born) 29/4/1836 - (died) 21/3/1913.

This information was gathered from the Blue Mountains Pioneer Register.

John married Martha May Alderman in 1863 and lived in the Blue Mountains. They had 8 children who reached adulthood (one of whom was my great grandmother).

The name Johan Pedersen has been passed down through the family by oral tradition, with the information that he was orphaned and sent to the U.S. when he was 8 years old, from where he came to australia in a naval ship in 1860.

I would be interested in ascertaining the names of our John's parents if it is possible but am very new at this research.

j. murray
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  09:13:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great! Thanks for the clarification. So John Pearson was born

29 APRIL 1836

at least that's his birth date according to a local newspaper.

1 - Did that information appear in his obituary?

2 - Where did you get the information that he was born in Oslo (you really don't want to answer that, hehe)

3 - Do you know the names of his siblings from your private family tree or another source?

4 - Do you know the name of his aunt in the USA? her maiden name? her husband's name? where they lived? Do you know if the aunt was his mother's sister or his father's? If you don't know any or some of this, just let us know, okay?

5 - You have now added the information that John went to the USA age age 8, ca 1844. Are there other details you can add? (for example, was his first-born son named Johan Carl? Children's names can be a clue, as traditional practice was to name children after grandparents). It's hard to list all the ways that various details can contribute to a search that is this tough, but do know that every little fact could help.

"The name Johan Pedersen has been passed down through the family by oral tradition." That's really helpful; these family stories of ours are often true.

I don't see contact info for you - if you're willing I'd love for you to shoot me an email. Thanks!

Edited by - JaneC on 08/08/2013 10:19:34
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  10:17:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A possible candidate:
Knud Johan Pedersen born April 29. 1836 on farm Bĝrholmen in Gulen bap. Mai 23.
Parents; Petter Martinus Daniel Bernts Jacobsen and Magdalie Hansdatter Bĝrholmen 20

Gulen

His parents lived in 1865, but can`t find Knud Johan.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 08/08/2013 10:26:17
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  11:24:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the details about coming to US at age 8 and by 1863 to Australia are true Johan or John might be in the US censuses of 1850 and possibly 1860....

As this might help, in Volume two 1844-1846 of Norwegian Immigrants to the United States: a Biographical Directory, 1825-1850 by Gerhard Naeseth provides an index by first name of migrants. Looking strictly for Jon, John, Johan, Johannes & Jens, patronymic Pederson, Peterson, Person, Pehrson, born in 1836 --there is no person who fills the bill in all of the categories. So its possible that someone with only some of the characteristics might be examined:

Any first name Jon, John, Johan, Johannes, Jens of any last name with a birthyear of 1836:

On the Albion from Bergen to New York 9 July 1844:
464. John Sjursen Vangsnĉs b. 28 Feb 1836 emigrated from Leikanger, SF with parents and 3 siblings. Although there were details on all the others in the family the book says about John only "he may have d in the Civil War."

On the Peder Schreuder from Bergen arrived New York 30 June 1845:
298. Johannes Olson Holstad b 27 Dec 1836 came from Vik SF with parents and 3 siblings. Details on Johannes, he married Ida Johnson, had 5 children & moved 1855 to Mower county, Minn.

On the Juno from Bergen to New York arriving 18 June 1846:
29. Johannes Emmaus Mathiasen Himo b. 13 March 1836 came with parents and 2 siblings from Overhalla, NT. Family settled in Wisc & Kansas. About Johannes detail is short but says "he may be the John Himoe who transferred from the 8th KS Volunteer Cavalry to the WI volunteers in November 1861."

ship not identified but thought to have arrived in 1846
1536. Johannes Johannesen Stokland b. 27 Aug 1836 with parents & 5 siblings from Bĝ, TE, no other information.

Edited by - jkmarler on 08/08/2013 12:19:46
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  12:33:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could Jens be changed to Johan in the US?

Jens Pedersen born on Gran, Hadeland district, Oppland county April 29. 1836
Parents; Peder Guldbrandsen and Anne (Barbro) Pedersdatter, #51

No sign of the parents 1865.
He was confirmated Mai 30. 1852
3 Jens Pedersen age 27-28-29 in the 1865 census on Gran.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 08/08/2013 13:15:10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article